Xbox One 500 GB Hard Drive

Wolf 17

Dont know how you feel about the hard drive in the xbox one, but I personally think that the hard drive should of been at least 1 TB and not 500 GB. I also wonder why they made it so the hard drive cant be taken out and upgraded like you can with the 360. I know that eventually you will be able to hook up a external hard drive, but not at launch so hopefully sooner than later. The 500 GB would be fine, but from my understanding if you buy the games on disc they have to be installed and from what I have read online the install gaming sizes are in the 30 to 50 gb range. What do you think? Also take into account that 4K television is in its early stages and with that comes 4k blu ray disc that can hold at least 100 gb if not more and my thinking is in the future we could see games in the 100 gb or more. Killzone Shadow Fall for the PS4 is 290 gb before they compress it down to 50 or 40 gb just to give you an idea of how big the games are already.

I was thinking the same thing awhile back. Not to mention all the apps and updates. Just a guess but maybe the cloud can hold some things or it will be incorporated somehow.

I think it's quite unnecessary to make it 1024 GB. I mean I'm fine with just 200 GB, 500 GB is still alot for me, so to be honest, I don't really mind if my Xbox one has 500 GB.

500gb is fine for the majority or people I would guess. I think only a few hardcore ones will fill it up quickly and need/want more space soon.

You can remove and add games if you need to, just don't use it as a mass storage device trying to save every demo and free download.

Yeah 500 GB isnt enough for DD peeps like I was going to be. Im going to have to pick and choose which games I want as DD and physical.

Dont know how you feel about the hard drive in the xbox one, but I personally think that the hard drive should of been at least 1 TB and not 500 GB. I also wonder why they made it so the hard drive cant be taken out and upgraded like you can with the 360. I know that eventually you will be able to hook up a external hard drive, but not at launch so hopefully sooner than later. The 500 GB would be fine, but from my understanding if you buy the games on disc they have to be installed and from what I have read online the install gaming sizes are in the 30 to 50 gb range. What do you think? Also take into account that 4K television is in its early stages and with that comes 4k blu ray disc that can hold at least 100 gb if not more and my thinking is in the future we could see games in the 100 gb or more. Killzone Shadow Fall for the PS4 is 290 gb before they compress it down to 50 or 40 gb just to give you an idea of how big the games are already.

I completely agree with you, the system i built has two 1 tb harddrives. I upgraded from a single 1tb harddrive because I was two months in and was already down to just over 500gb. I only have a couple of games too, many less than what i have for the 360.

If theyre requiring you to install EVERY game you play, the hard drive is going to fill up fast...
Sure, you can uninstall a game to make room for another, but what happens if you really cycle through alot of games regularly? Its going to be a hassle to uninstall and reinstall every time you want to play something. Not to mention, what happens to your saves when you uninstall? Sure theyre "on the cloud" but what happens when the save file locally doesnt match the one on the cloud?

I definitely think they should have gone bigger, but i can easily see them launching a proprietary external harddrive, which will be just a cheap standard harddrive, and charging a premium for it.

I completely agree with you, the system i built has two 1 tb harddrives. I upgraded from a single 1tb harddrive because I was two months in and was already down to just over 500gb. I only have a couple of games too, many less than what i have for the 360.

If theyre requiring you to install EVERY game you play, the hard drive is going to fill up fast...Sure, you can uninstall a game to make room for another, but what happens if you really cycle through alot of games regularly? Its going to be a hassle to uninstall and reinstall every time you want to play something. Not to mention, what happens to your saves when you uninstall? Sure theyre "on the cloud" but what happens when the save file locally doesnt match the one on the cloud?

I definitely think they should have gone bigger, but i can easily see them launching a proprietary external harddrive, which will be just a cheap standard harddrive, and charging a premium for it.

I think its back to the way the 360 is now. You have an option to install it, where as the PS4 is still like the PS3, its mandatory.

I think it's quite unnecessary to make it 1024 GB. I mean I'm fine with just 200 GB, 500 GB is still alot for me, so to be honest, I don't really mind if my Xbox one has 500 GB.

500 gb is absolutely not enough if we're suppose to embrace digital games. My 120 gb HDD filled up quick and my 2nd hdd is 250 gb and also almost filled. 500gb will not last very long, this is why on my PS3 I upgraded to a 2 TB hdd

Yeah 500 GB isnt enough for DD peeps like I was going to be. Im going to have to pick and choose which games I want as DD and physical.
Unfortunately even disc games need to be installed and cached.

500 gb is absolutely not enough if we're suppose to embrace digital games. My 120 gb HDD filled up quick and my 2nd hdd is 250 gb and also almost filled. 500gb will not last very long, this is why on my PS3 I upgraded to a 2 TB hdd

Unfortunately even disc games need to be installed and cached.

Really?!?! I thought they said it went back to the same way the 360 is. Optional. Well if thats the case then I guess Ill stick with DD. There is really no difference now between Physical and DD if they have to be installed mandatory.

Really?!?! I thought they said it went back to the same way the 360 is. Optional. Well if thats the case then I guess Ill stick with DD. There is really no difference now between Physical and DD if they have to be installed mandatory.

It did go back, but it is strictly up to the developer. Rumor has it that most games announced so far are meant to be installed since the developers are banking on that to make the games run better.

A quote I found online:

The really ugly part? The average PS3 game is 18.8GB. Now, take that figure and balloon it out to 50GB, and we’re looking at games that take 12-14 hours to download at the average speed of US broadband. Sony and Microsoft have both talked up simultaneous streaming and playing (assets downloading in the background while you play), but consider this: Killzone 4′s total length, according to the game’s developers, is “well over 10 hours.” That means it’ll take longer to download the game than to beat it. That’s going to present a challenge for any developer — data has to be chunked appropriately to ensure that someone who sits down for what they think will be a three-hour play session doesn’t run out of game 90 minutes in.

50GB downloads could also cause tremendous headaches for users with broadband caps, particularly families that own more than one console. This is one area where discs are going to continue to have an advantage over downloads since neither Sony nor Microsoft, to our knowledge, permits game back-ups (though it may be possible to create backup copies by swapping hard drives — that’s not clear yet). 500GB is plenty of storage if you have local copies of games for reinstall in the event of a console failure, but it’s not much at all if you need to keep copies of games hanging around or face 10-12 hour installation times.

I think I am sticking to buying the games at stores as a backup and also so I can trade or sell it later on.

500gb definitely worries me over the long haul. Are we still required to install games on the HD even if we get the physical media? I know that's how it was going to work before the DRM switch.

I have a 1TB drive on my PC and I have to uninstall Steam games from time to time (not a big deal, my library is huge and I have more games than I could ever play). It seems like a lot of space, but that will fill up for many in a few years.

Ok ok im getting conflicting stories. Is it or is it not a mandatory install for disc based games. I dont mean a reccomendation, I mean its required like PS4. Anyone have a link?

Ok ok im getting conflicting stories. Is it or is it not a mandatory install for disc based games. I dont mean a reccomendation, I mean its required like PS4. Anyone have a link?

All disc-based PS4 games require installation
by Ozzie Mejia, Oct 30, 2013 1:10pm PDT