7 reasons why your kids should play video game

StacyDuh

From
Houston,TX
1. Video games teach problem solving. Video games get kids to think. There are dozens of video games that are specifically geared towards learning, but even the most basic shooter game teaches kids to think logically and quickly process large amounts of data. Rather than passively absorbing content from, say, a TV show, a video game requires the player’s constant input to tell the story.

2. Video games are social. The stereotype of the pasty-faced adolescent sitting in his mom’s basement playing video games on his own is as outdated as Space Invaders. Many games have thriving online and offline fan-bases, and a community component that strongly encourages social interaction.

3. Video games provide positive reinforcement. Most video games are designed to allow players to succeed and be rewarded for that success. Different skill levels and a risk-and-reward gaming culture mean that kids are not afraid to fail and will take a few chances in order to achieve their ultimate goal.

4. Video games teach strategic thinking. Video games teach kids to think objectively about both the games themselves and their own performance. While there are many games that place a premium on strategy, most set an overall goal and give the gamer numerous ways in which he or she can achieve that goal. Players also get instant feedback on their decisions and quickly learn their own strengths and weaknesses.

5. Video games build teamwork. The vast majority of video games are now designed with cooperative play options. Whether it’s fighting off alien invaders, solving puzzles, or being on the same bobsleigh team, video games offer kids a wealth of opportunities to constructively work together.

6. Video games improve hand-eye coordination. Video games have been found to improve the balance and coordination of numerous patients from stroke victims to those suffering from Parkinson’s Disease. There have even been studies that suggest that surgeons who regularly play video games make less mistakes in the operating theater than non-gamers. Even if your child is super-healthy and has no desire to be a surgeon or watch-maker, good hand-eye coordination is an invaluable skill to have.

7. Video games bring families together. If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em. Video games aren’t just for kids anymore. Ask your kids to teach you a few moves and you might find that Family Fun Night is every bit as enjoyable as those games of Clue and Monopoly used to be when you were a kid!

I let my 9 year old play Xbox and playstation, as well as apps on his iPod. Here's the thing, many parents want to blame video games for obesity and violence in schools, but my kid loves playing outside. He rides his bike, plays nerf gun wars, runs through sprinklers, etc. He's also far from violent. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as its not 24/7.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with letting your kids play some videogames. If anything, it helps keep them off the street and preventing them from getting mixed up with the wrong crowd. It's also a good way to discover music via a game's soundtrack, I lost track of the number of bands I never would have known if it had not been for my Xbox. Games also improve hand-eye coordination, as the post pointed out.

You can also play WITH your kids for mega fun bonding time ;)

None of those reasons are truly valid, because every point you mentioned has at least one alternative that provides more to the child compared to what you mentioned. I will say games are fine so kids can enjoy their childhood a bit more. But too much of a good thing can easily turn into a bad thing, so kids shouldn't spend too much time on computers and other electronics. A lot of teenagers now have problems with their backs from spending too much time on chairs in front of the computers, develop nervous problems and other serious affections. Take everything in moderation, with caution.

You can also play WITH your kids for mega fun bonding time ;)

I agree with this completely. I know a lot of parents played games with their kids and I was really jealous of that. I remember my best friend's mom playing Mario with us. She wasn't very good but would get super into it. She would you know sway and move her whole body the way she wanted her character to move.

She died about a year after that from cancer. That was my fondest memory of her. :(

I think most of these points are very opinion based and heavily depend on the type of game the kid is playing. I believe gaming should ultimately teach the kids to mange their time wisely. They have to be able to control their time playing these video games and like not spend their entire day just sitting in front of a monitor or television screen.

Back