Are You Satisfied With Games With Gold?

HuskyGlazier

I'm going to preface this and say I don't know if this is the right section, but I hope so.
Anyways, as the title demands, are you satisfied with Games With Gold that comes with buying Gold? The reason I ask is because it's a pretty contested topic, and there are varying opinions. I know for example, on PS Plus, many people aren't satisfied because of the lack of AAA titles, and I didn't know if similar opinions resonated in this forum.
Anyways, in my opinion, I think Games With Gold is great, and a huge step up from the competition in PS Plus. The first reason that I like Games With Gold is that it offers all sorts of huge titles, even if some of them are on 360. But, The Crew is a great offering this month, and that's a huge AAA title, even if it didn't do so well. Another reason that I love Games With Gold is that it offers lots of backwards compatible games, and that's really cool. I never would have thought I'd be playing Borderlands, but here I am because of Games With Gold.

Anyways, what are your opinions?

No, not particularly. They seem to just be thrown on there to sweeten the deal, not to really serve a purpose beyond that. I get that it would be bad news to put real titles up, but at least have something a bit better than the ones up there now :/

Recently, yeah. April and June have had some good ones.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the games I have to admit either, and I think Microsoft can do, and offer a lot more to us their customers when it comes to offering the games.

If you look at what the PlayStation plus members get and then compare the games we get, Sony do seem to have the edge.

Absolutely, XBL has always kind of been this obscure comparison to PSN, but windows does what windows will do and there's not a lot that can be said to stop them. It's not always bad but hey, it's lackluster is all I'm saying.

But for the amount of money were paying every year for the subscription, it shouldn't be lacklustre. People have a right to expect to get value, and at the moment I do think we do.

Charging a person to play online is something that more and more people are disagreeing with, so the extra's we get need to be worthwhile. At the moment though, in my opinion at least...they're not.

Exactly. The fact that it is necessary is one thing, but the problem is they have to make it seem like they aren't JUST charging you for online access. So they throw in games, but they do it as cheap as possible, which is the dirge of this planet -_-

You're right, and I think even though Microsoft have charged people to play online from day one, Sony haven't, that's only started when the PlayStation 4 came out so Microsoft HAD to make it look as though they was offering something other than just access to their servers.

People aren't stupid though, and it became obvious to most people that the so called free games were only there as a ploy to make it look like we was getting value for money.

Yeah, I think it's just part of their model and has been from day one. They wanted to charge people because I think they recognized people would pay anyways, whereas sony wanted to win out in other ways. I generally think sony is winning this leg of the console wars, followed by xbox then wii, but PC is just going to stomp them all out after VR I think. Small computers are getting too strong at the moment.

I'm not sure if there even is a console war anymore, especially not over here in the UK as I think Sony are that far ahead now it's not even a competition unfortunately.

Microsoft will never admit that of course and the fact they're trying different incentives now to get people to choose the Xbox over the PlayStation shows that, but it appears to be too little, too late.

Yeah, definitely. I think they're fine with where they are though, like the profit is significant enough and they have their own market defined to such an extent that they can keep pushing on with their methods without too much worry. They have their own franchise and its working, gotta give em that.

That's the dangerous thing though of only really having a market with only two major players. Both Sony and Microsoft have enough money and fingers in enough pies to just press ahead with what they're doing regardless of the consequences.

If we the consumers don't like what they're doing, tough. Either put up with it or just don't buy the console. They aren't going to have sleepless nights knowing that one person doesn't agree with them I'm sure.

The thing is, we only have two major players in most things. It isn't so much about the comparison between the two as understanding that they're making money, so they have the staying power to be able to figure out what works, so there's no chance anyone is going to magically create something (except valve, who also has a financial powerhouse behind them)

Microsoft and Sony have no doubt got a monopoly in the gaming industry, and especially where the consoles market is concerned. Nintendo are making yet another comeback but if it's successful or not I'll hang on before I comment after the recent failures, so your right, if Microsoft and Sony learn to live side by side then they've got the gaming market wrapped up.

Even though they say they are competing with each other, are they really? I'm sure that both are happy enough with a 50% stake so why should they rock the boat?

Back