Xbox One Can't install to external Hd after update

x50M813x5O3x

Yesterday, 6/10/23, I had an update for my console. I applied the update and went to play a game that I had stored on my external hard drive and found that it wasn't there. In fact none of my games were. It only showed apps. I looked at the hard drive on the system and also found that it was showing 100% full, which I know it wasn't as I always keep lots of extra room for future installs. I looked this up on troubleshooting, and went through all the steps on Xbox Help. Nothing worked. I formatted the drive, still not. Reset entire system as if new, still not. It recognizes the hd, but cannot install anything to it. When I try it says "installation stopped", no reason why. Any ideas how to fix this issue. I remember this happened a couple of years ago with an update but it fixed itself by doing a powercyle of console and external drive. Any help would be appreciated

oh man I typed a story and it disappeared...
Well, I had a near similar situation with an external raid box. 1 drive corrupting data of mostly large files like the games and not the apps. I had to replace the culprit drive in the end. Formatted with the xb1x and it still showed data usage. Using a computer, I did get it all back to normal on the xb1x but within a few days it all started happening again.

Try taking the drive box to a pc to wipe it make a gpt partition then format it with a ntfs file system. Then let your xb1x take it from there.
If it still happens, either the drive box is junk or a hard drive inside it is bad.
Do you have another drive box to do further troubleshooting with?

Fun fact: You can have up to 3 external usb drive boxes attached to your xbsx with up to 16 TB per each drive box for a total 48 TB of storage.

Weird thing is that there was an update in August that made this happen..then a week or two later there was another update and it started working again...now another update on October 19th and it went back to not being able to download games to it. Can still play a couple of the games already there, but no new game installs. It's a fairly new drive. The Xbox still sees it and can see everything on it just cannot download to it. I heard it may have something to do with the Xbox updates and the preview program updates? I don't know why the updates are blocking communication with my hdd...I tried all troubleshooting steps and nothing works. In any case I removed my Xbox from the preview program, and will just have to wait and see if another update comes through again to fix the issue like last time. Sad thing is I cannot get an answer from Xbox Tech Support.

Weird thing is that there was an update in August that made this happen..then a week or two later there was another update and it started working again...now another update on October 19th and it went back to not being able to download games to it. Can still play a couple of the games already there, but no new game installs. It's a fairly new drive. The Xbox still sees it and can see everything on it just cannot download to it. I heard it may have something to do with the Xbox updates and the preview program updates? I don't know why the updates are blocking communication with my hdd...I tried all troubleshooting steps and nothing works. In any case I removed my Xbox from the preview program, and will just have to wait and see if another update comes through again to fix the issue like last time. Sad thing is I cannot get an answer from Xbox Tech Support.
**I guess the first time was June, not August.

Which Xbox Insider tier were you? I used to be Alfa Skip ahead, but it was a nightmare with way too many problems I went down to the beta level.
Edit: Like if you left the program, it should reinstall the OS at some point to be at the public release which should not have the problem if it was related to being in the Insider Preview Program but going from Alfa to beta could mean an OS update depending on where they are with each tier release as well.

Last edited:
Back