Console Emulation on PC

RedNeckJiuJitsu

From
Engaged in Spiritual Warfare
For the record, I'm only talking about legal emulation, which is playing a game that you bought on a machine other than the one that it was originally designed for.

How many others here enjoy emulating their old NES, SNES, GB, etc games on their PC? Again, I'm talking about games you already own, not random games that you just download, which would be illegal. I like dusting off the old games because there are some things that they are just better for than a lot of the newer games. From ease of play to storyline, etc. There are no RPGs as good as Chrono Trigger; while the new Zelda games are good/great, there's just something about the old ones that still holds up. It sometimes seems that companies are in such a rush to get new games out that they don't spend the time crafting games like they used to.

I sometime play my old GBA games I used to own using VirtualBoyEmulator. Seeing I don't have a GBA anymore and most of my GBA games are broken, I should have the permission to at least play them on my PC using an emulator. :)

I play my PS2 games on an emulator on PC JUST so I don't have to deal with the terrible graphical quality of these games when played on an HDTV. So many jaggies.

In addition to what I said above, I've been trying to find Crono Cross for a buck or two at a yard sale so I can play it on the PC. I bought a Legend of Zelda collection for GameCube, but I wasn't able to get the disc to play on the PC, or get the emulator to work with my USB controller when I mounted a disc image.

I play a lot of them, I have XBMC set up in Linux to contain all of my emulators along with my movies and music, I can just select a game from the menu and play, all of it is controlled with a gamepad. I like emulators because I often think the old games are better than the current ones and it's convenient to have them all on a hard drive, I could plug in the PS1, find a game and boot it, or I could just find it on an on-screen menu and press a button to play.

It's always a good time bringing playing back through those old games. I remember from my youth playing some great games on the ps1, like Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, and Digimon World. Recently, I got them again and started playing them on an emulator on my PC. Even though they're many years old, they can still hold up against the most technologically advanced games out today. It's not always about the graphics and how good a game looks/runs, I good storyline and game mechanics will always prevail. I also downloaded and emulator or two to my iPod touch, so I can play some classics on the go, good times.

My PS2 died after heavy use in 2011, so I've been emulating Radiata Stories(goodness I love that game so much.) and FFX ever since. I tend to feel most comfortable playing what's now considered old games much more than new releases. *shrug*

My PS2 died after heavy use in 2011, so I've been emulating Radiata Stories(goodness I love that game so much.) and FFX ever since. I tend to feel most comfortable playing what's now considered old games much more than new releases. *shrug*

How well does PS2 emulation work now? I tried it quite a long time ago and didn't get the game to be playable.

How well does PS2 emulation work now? I tried it quite a long time ago and didn't get the game to be playable.
Well, you need a powerful machine. I'd say the emulator itself is pretty good. High compability and stuff. I replayed Persona 4 on it. I played through "The Answer" chapter of Persona 3 FES on it. Now I'm playing through Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on it. Nocturne has an issue with shadows and the Personas had some slight issues with the minimap but it was far from unplayable. Plus, Nocturne looks great on higher resolutions.

It depends on the game, though, some games still don't really work but I would say that PS2 emulation is certainly very good now.

I've never played or even thought about that. Would yo mind sharing more on how one can attain this, as I think it must be exciting?

It's definitely in large factor based on the power your machine has in it's hardware. Mid range to high end systems will play like the real thing, and possibly be graphically better depending on if you use filters and such. Low end software emulation, though it's been doing a steady climb in playability, is nearly impossible to enjoy though.

I played James Bond: Goldeneye on an emulator for the PC. It wasn't half bad, and you could hook up the controller to it and everything. I enjoyed it, as it was a bit of nostalgia.

I've also downloaded a Gameboy emulator and right off the bat jumped into Pokemon: Red. Ahh, memories...

Gamecube and Wii emulation is the best one out there, especially because how great you can make your favorite games look! I love The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker and once i tried emulating it, i just can't go back to the old original. Everything looks so nice and crisp, it seems like a new game!

Gamecube and Wii emulation is the best one out there, especially because how great you can make your favorite games look! I love The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker and once i tried emulating it, i just can't go back to the old original. Everything looks so nice and crisp, it seems like a new game!

I honestly didn't even know there were decent emulation options for GC or Wii. Can you possibly recommend some of the better ones? The mention of Windwaker has me all excited and stuff xD

I honestly didn't even know there were decent emulation options for GC or Wii. Can you possibly recommend some of the better ones? The mention of Windwaker has me all excited and stuff xD
There's only one emulator, called Dolphin. Dolphin is for both GC and Wii. It's a very good emulator. If you have a powerful machine, you could be playing them Wii games in HD! They actually look very very nice on HD.

Back