Xbox One Destiny = Borderlands?

OniBlackMage

RPG Ambassador
Was anyone else thinking this when they saw the gameplay? I look at it and think, "yep, its like if Borderlands had a halo skin", which isn't to say its a bad thing, but that's just my impression of it. Granted, Borderlands is just an FPS version of Diablo and the whole class-based hack/slash/loot dungeon runners, but maybe I'm missing something. Is Destiny doing something new to the formula or bringing something fresh to the table? The advertising campaign was huge and teasing some revolution in shooters, but I wasn't sold (though it looks just as fun as other games in that subgenre).

It's funny, because I thought that almost the same thing!
Borderlands was not the level of Destiny on all points.

We could say that Borderlands is half of Destiny!

Destiny can play with multiple players. Borderlands offered only a coop mode.
Borderlands has a particular graphic style and Destiny impressed us!
Destiny is just beautiful!

I think we will not until next year this game! But I like it for the moment!

Destiny honestly feels like what Borderlands was supposed to be, to me. Sure, Borderlands had the loot and co-op based gameplay, but that was about it. It got boring really, really quickly. The flavor couldn't hold it together, most of the characters were flat and boring, and the plot was extremely thrown together. Destiny seems like it's trying to combine a loot and co-op based adventure with an awesome new world and (what sounds like) a great plot. I guess only time will tell, though.

I didn't really make a connection to Borderlands but that might be because I really did not like Borderlands much at all. I mean they basically stole the art style from a designer they hired they quickly fired after he did what they wanted of him, they didn't even credit him or keep him on the team. I have not even bothered to finish Borderlands or even play Borderlands 2.
Destiny though looks like it could be a decent game that I might enjoy since I doubt the same kind of thing will happen with them. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Was it because of the co-op? The setting? Maybe the fact that you shoot guns... in first person? By that train of thought, every FPS that came out in the last 5 years is like borderlands.
If that is a good thing or no, is up to people to decide if they want to play another game with just shooting where the only difference is the weapons.

Was it because of the co-op? The setting? Maybe the fact that you shoot guns... in first person? By that train of thought, every FPS that came out in the last 5 years is like borderlands.
If that is a good thing or no, is up to people to decide if they want to play another game with just shooting where the only difference is the weapons.

I think it is more the looting aspect. When the female player joined she made it a point to show off her launcher. Borderlands is about looting for money and guns, the higher the level, the better the guns. Aside from having ADS a lot of people are afraid that this is basically what the OP is saying.

I agree, Borderlands mechanics, Destiny... excuse me "Destiny" skin on it. There's not a lot of successful formulas when it comes to online play and Borderlands nailed it and nailed it hard so they probably are taking elements of Borderlands when they create the game and honestly can you blame them. Its a great franchise. You can't deny that, but there's going to be some point where people will need to start pushing the envelope again and I hope that we don't see a bunch of clones of games we have now that just look better or different.

I can see the connection with the loot system, but Destiny is definitely going to be a new beast. To me, there will still be room for both series when Destiny is released, because they both still have their own unique identity and are made well.

I dunno. The guns don't look even half as fun as the ones in Borderlands 2. We'll see, I do like loot-based games so I'll keep an eye on Destiny though Destiny seems to focus much less on the loot.

Borderlands kicks Destiny's ass so far for me, but the latter isn't out, heheh...

At first glance sure but there's so much more to Destiny. The open world appears to be profoundly bigger than BL2, in fact there's space travel and spaceship customization. Also the whole public events thing and the developers having an unheard of 10 year plan for the title. I think we need more details though, it's hard to see the specifics of Destiny. The E3 demo only reinforced the misconception that it's JUST a BL2 game with Halo skin.

I perused their full interview on Edge magazine which came out this month. When they were asked about the games that influenced the development of Destiny, they clearly emphasized that they were impressed and influenced by Borederlands series. They said that they have taken a leaf out of borderland's book and have implemented it in their own game. It's apparent from the E3 gameplay that this game is heavily influenced by different variety of games, especially borderlands. The gainas* weapons, the rocket launcher and various customization options were all redolent of Borderlands. I love the fact that Bungie admitted it :)

I perused their full interview on Edge magazine which came out this month. When they were asked about the games that influenced the development of Destiny, they clearly emphasized that they were impressed and influenced by Borederlands series. They said that they have taken a leaf out of borderland's book and have implemented it in their own game. It's apparent from the E3 gameplay that this game is heavily influenced by different variety of games, especially borderlands. The gainas* weapons, the rocket launcher and various customization options were all redolent of Borderlands. I love the fact that Bungie admitted it :)

Heheh. Man, that makes me excited for Destiny, as a BL fan. I just love shooting 'n' looting. Won't have the nice art style and hilariously insane characters, I'd guess, but still good. And yeah, nice that they admitted they were inspired by BL instead of saying "this is all us, we came up with everything you see here, this is all revolutionary".

This was totally my first thought when i heard about the Density gameplay. Honestly though they could re-skin borderlands and just give me more of the same gameplay and I'd be a happy camper. Almost every week I wish I could go back to playing that game for the first time

Destiny honestly feels like what Borderlands was supposed to be, to me. Sure, Borderlands had the loot and co-op based gameplay, but that was about it. It got boring really, really quickly. The flavor couldn't hold it together, most of the characters were flat and boring, and the plot was extremely thrown together. Destiny seems like it's trying to combine a loot and co-op based adventure with an awesome new world and (what sounds like) a great plot. I guess only time will tell, though.

boarderlands was suppose to be cartoonish and fun. boarderlands is a fun game reguardless of story line which i find to be fun and sarcastic.. look at tiny tina and the joking evilness of her alone. you cant do that with a game that looks and feels cinimatic it would detract from a honest game.. it takes a unreal cartoonish game on that level to use the language and deliver that experiance.

you need cartoonish fun with a character like this
[video=youtube;8z7SfF5lXMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z7SfF5lXMQ[/video]

destiny feels and looks more adult of a game even if it is a loot and shoot game like boarderlands. and i would bet boarderlands3 will have killer graphics but keep the feel of bl1 and 2 its the evolution of the storyline and ability to shade the graphics but i wouldn't expect to see a polished real world game like destiny is trying to sell.

what i would expect is destiny to go head to head with the new halo(if/when)... to me halo feels geared towards 12yr's from playing the halo on xbox live. i would hope halo can grow up and not cater to such a young demographic. the childish conversation and childish enemy's left me laughing at the first 45 minutes of gameplay. i got to where you are driving a whathog(vehicle) across a destroyed road and just could not get into the game past that.

destiny may be the adult highly polished loot/shoot game that is missing. the graphics look nice the game looks young adult minded. it really does look like a fun game and if things go well i may pre order it.

Back