Xbox 360 Do you have a game villain you can relate to?

heavensdevil

I've seen people always discussing about how they can relate to the protagonist of a game but have you ever encountered a villain that you can relate to? Personally, I don't have one mainly because I think they are too over the top for me. However, I'm interested to know if anyone here does?

Reactions: Guy
I don't think that I have any myself because I like to be the good guy a lot. I don't think that I like the thought of being the bad guy. Of all the games that I have played I don't think that I have ever been able to like any of the bad guys that are in the games .

A game villain huh... well maybe Handsome Jack lol, I mean I am just as conceited as that guy I think... Maybe not as damaged or confused, definitely not a homicidal maniac but tjust as conceited I think.

I can't recall any at the moment, but I do remember a game that put you in the shoes of an evil overlord. It's called Overlord, and it's also available for PS3 and PC aside from Xbox 360. It's a nice change of pace and definitely a fresh breath of air, especially if you want to see things from another perspective as most game only let you be the good guys.

I think there's a few expansion pack and sequels for the game, so I think the game is fairly well-received. I might be wrong though......maybe I am confusing it with another game >_>

Yeah. It's got to be Doug Shetland from Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. I don't know I just relate to him in a way, not sure what way but when it's time to kill him I had a hard time pulling the trigger.

I'm going with Caius Ballad from Final Fantasy XIII-2. So, SPOILERS turn off this post now or span it down if you don't want to hear this guy's background because he is your primary antagonist for FF 13 - 2.

Caius serves a being who is the keeper of all time. However, when time changes (as is the main point of FF 13 - 2) that being dies and is reborn. This being, Yuel, lives and dies many many many times. He's left to watch it happen each time as Sera and Noel cross the timelines and change things. In order to stop her suffering Caius decides he's going to kill the goddess Etro to stop Yuel from being killed and reborn. There's a lot more going on but you find that he's a super troubled person. He's lived forever, mostly immortal, and has knowledge of every single time line that ever happened in the FF 13 universe. The one person he loves most must die and be reborn in order to...yep die. What's more is that Caius is described as this super aggressive warrior who has his own code of ethics and should never have been the guardian of Yuel. He was about to be killed when the person who would have taken the job over him saved everyone and protected the Yuel of that time.

All of this is very fantasy based type stuff obviously, but when you think about the people you love the most. Wife or kid being my primary target, there's nothing you wouldn't do for them. Then add to the fact that for eternity you're forced to watch that person you care about most live and die in a helpless cycle, what would you do? Perhaps Caius went a bit mad and his only thought was to destroy Etro and save his love. Maybe it was a bit more than that, but what we do know is that he uses very human emotion and human thoughts to go on this maddening quest to save the one he loves most from suffering. That itself roots him within the realm of understanding.

I can't think of any bad guys in video games that I really ever related to. I can think of plenty that I loved to hate, though. (Ha.) Mostly I always identify with the main character trying to be good and/or "save the world" or whatever.

I'll go with Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2. If you remove all the murderous tendencies you find a cool fellow that even built machines to keep you from dying.
And what other game villain owns a Butt Stallion!? :p

I personally don't think I relate to any villain. I'm way too good for a villain. I think I am always of the opinion of the game protagonist while playing and would always side with him/her. But, I liked the character of Vaas from Far Cry 3.

After thinking about this some more, I've also come up with some arguments for Sephiroth.

Historically, the story of Sephiroth is one of those things where it was predetermined that this guy would become one bad a## dude. YEARS OLD SPOILERS!!

Sephiroth's mother is injected with cells from an alien being known as Jenova. She never even held her baby, he was taken away after he was born. Shinra raises Sephiroth to be a super soldier, but he knows he's different. There is no information about who he is that's given to him. He's lied to all his life. He's only told his mother is Jenova (not his real mother) and then the only person he really respects he comes to learn is kind of a whack job.

Sephiroth eventually has an encounter with the leader of AVALANCHE, Elfe', and then this entire process of experiencing emotion and who am I starts to swallow him. He's lost the only friends he knows at this point. Both were killed (seemingly) and in his travels he discovers these pods with one labeled Jenova.
He loses it.

What do you do? You're the strongest person on the planet. You've been lied to, used, your friends killed, your relationships severed, you're lonely, sad, abused, not knowing. What do you do?

Sephiroth goes to a mansion where he studies the notes of the Jenova project. More betrayal. No one ever told him the truth. Now he believes he's a true Cetra (what Jenova is) and with everything that has happened, the humans betraying the Cetra 2000 years prior and now this what do you do x 2?

You make them pay. All of them.

He falls into madness.

The events of the games take place and there's never a recovery to Sephiroth, but because of how the story is released you never realize how human Sephiroth truly was. That's why monsters and legends aren't as scary as the actions of man.

Well thanks for the quick laugh, because this immediately reminding me of an old college friend that we used to call "Bowser". I am not sure how a person can really look like a Mario game character, but I swear somehow this guy had it, because he really did look like a human version of Bowser. I cannot say I have one, though, but thanks again for the laugh.

The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3. I loved that freaking game, it was my favorite one in the series. I also like playing the others as well. As far as relating, I don't think I will say that I relate to them because they are evil and I don't share the same values as them.

MGS3 is the best game from the series in my opinion.

Back