ESRB Ratings and Content Descriptor Guide

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
The purpose of ESRB ratings and content descriptors, which are universally used on all video games, are provided as a guide to let you know what to expect in terms of age appropriateness, violence, language, etc. It's similar to the ratings that are given to TV shows and movies, such as G, PG and R, along with a few key words describing what type content will be shown throughout the movie. ESRB ratings are a useful tool for parents to evaluate the nature of the game content. Certain retailers such as Gamestop and Walmart will not allow people under the age of 17 to purchase titles with an M or AO rating.

Ratings Guide (by the ESRB)

Note: When you play games online over Xbox Live, you're playing with real people. The ESRB ratings do not carry over to online gameplay, since you can't control what people say . If you want to manage your family's access to things like Xbox Live, you can adjust the parental controls. They show you how to do this here: Set up Parental Controls (by Microsoft)

Its a Shame people dont adhere to them as more times than not playing an 18 rated game online like mw3 you will almost certainly find a annoying 14 year old talking crap or playing music through their headset - you know who you are!

Is the ESRB anything like the MPAA? I saw that documentary about the latter, and it's quite shady...

Its a Shame people dont adhere to them as more times than not playing an 18 rated game online like mw3 you will almost certainly find a annoying 14 year old talking crap or playing music through their headset - you know who you are!

You only have to be 17 to buy a game rated M. But I do see your point.

I know that there are mature people out there who can play a game like Modern Warfare 3 and not act like a total idiot, but I also think the content ratings are there for a reason. It really doesn't matter which stores won't sell to younger kids since they can easily get someone else to do it for them. I had to have my sister buy me Oblivion when I was like 15, for crying out loud. Maybe the problem is that the ratings are too far apart, since a game like Oblivion isn't going to be as violent as, say, Gears of War.

Ratings are just a suggestion. If I were 15 and I couldn't buy MW3 that doesn't mean my parents couldn't buy it for me. It all depends on the parents, and if they want the child playing it or not.

Parents are the ones that should be made aware of the ERSB ratings, not us gamers. We already know them well enough, but parents ignore them and buy whatever for their children. I mean, if you KNOW what's in, say, Call of Duty and you buy it for your child then whatever... but if you don't know what's in it and you buy it for your child and THEN you complain about the game's contents, you deserve a kick in the groin.

^ THIS

Jesus Christ! I remember working the video game department and I honestly would get in trouble for not making the sale when I would persuade parents not to buy their children M-rated games. I also remember the launch of GTA:V where there were parents accompanying their 10 year olds to get the game. Parents need to be parents and at least try to edu-ma-cate their kids in the manners department.

Basically what Clap said it should be up to parents to understand what they are buying for their kids so they know if their children will understand and not take something for more than it is. There has to be a line when it comes to buying certain games for people that may not be able to tell the difference between what is right or wrong respectively.

Back