EVE Online Unpaid Bill Costs Users Around $300,000 in REAL money

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
The skirmish first erupted after a member of Carl's coalition missed a payment to protect an area that's been used as a staging ground for a war raging between Carl's Pandemic and N3 coalition versus CFC and Russian forces.

"Supposedly, it was set up for auto-pay, just like any other bill in real life, but either that didn't happen or the money wasn't in the wallet, and then everything just escalated out of control from there," said Carl. "The dust is still settling on that issue. Everyone is just focused right now on fighting to try to regain control of the system."

Really? Anyone have any experience with EVE Online? I cannot imagine something like this. I mean, I play WoW from time to time, and have some epic gear, but a $3,000 ship? I wouldn't value any of my gear in WoW for very much-Nowhere near 3K. I just don't get it. So if anyone has played this, can you explain how something like this happens?

Source: FOX News

I read about this and from what I can gather it isn't necessarily that they have spent that much on a ship (they may have done), but more likely that they have traded, stolen, found items etc. which they can then use to improve their ships. If they chose to sell their ship to someone in the in-game economy they could get 3,000 real world dollars for it, but the question is whether anyone would actually pay that for a digitial item.

Wait, what happened exactly? Is it the companies bill or the users bill?

Back