Get Up, Get Out, Accomplish Life

Murray

From
Midwest US
I saw in another post. How do you find motivation? The question had been one that secretes an answer of time management, but I don't believe its that easy. Life isn't that easy. If you could chop up your day into the individual seconds and make it like the Sims where you work on skills, watch TV, make friends, have dinner, sleep in an expensive bed, get a promotion the next day. If it were that easy everyone would do it. Everyone would be president, but its not that easy and there's only one life.

I'm going to say some things that I have to hear myself every so often so that I keep getting up. Life can't be as simple as cutting things up into time management. You have to have time management to accomplish a number of things in a day. That's true. However, in life there's gotta be a reason for those things. You sit here and say, I want to write this book or I want to create this product, but then what do you do? The majority of people sit and stare at a blank screen. No book. No product. The thread in question said "I have homework that I don't do even though I know I should get it done." That's the problem right there.

There's a big picture to everything. If you want to get anywhere in life you have to start at the bottom. You have to be hungry for results. That might mean turning in your Algebra homework. That might mean reading a few hours and then writing a few hours. That might mean getting to the gym a few times a week. What actually happens a lot of the time is we just go through the motions. We wake up, go to work or school, come home, play some games and go to bed. What's going to happen when you're old and you're surrounded by all the things you wanted to accomplish? What's going to go through your mind when you look down and your skin is torn and weathered on a hand that has accomplished only a fraction of what you had planned?

Its terrifying to me! I'll share a portion of Murray's life with you all. I respect the people on this board because part of who I am is to play and write about games. I love it and I genuinely believe the people here enjoy playing and talking about games which is just one piece of me. Here's another piece of who I am. Seven years ago I was sitting on a business that I was working on with someone else in a larger city in the western US. The recession hit after three years of working on making this business profitable and I found myself sleeping in my car. With little left I could do I packed some clothes, my laptop and guitar and moved in with my cousin on his futon. This could be the end of a tragic story, but instead I just thought that didn't work for me so I'm going to do something else. I did.

That's what life is really about in my opinion. Its a set of events where sometimes your outcomes are good and sometimes your outcomes are bad, but the only person who decides if you're out is you! The only person who determines your worth is you! So, why do your homework now instead of later? Because there is no later. There is only now! Why hit the gym now instead of later? There is no later, there is only now. Every mile you run, every word you read, every thing you write, every game you play, every person that you come in contact has some ripple effect of the people and events around them. You say "Why do I need to know (X)." You never know when that one piece of information will set you apart from someone else. Only fools exist within their own bubble of refusing to learn about something.

So I challenge everyone who might read this to remember, with such a limited amount of time and such an unlimited amount of potential, go out there and get yourself doing what you know you're meant to do and when you come home that game you toss in your console will be even better because you earned that down time.

Back