Xbox 360 [Graphics Evolving]

Simexy

Dear XboxOneForums users,

I am making this thread to talk about how Graphics have evolved over the years. Do you remember playing games such as SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for Playstation 2 or even the later versions of it? Do you remember playing Counter Strike 1.6 (which is still a beast game) and looking at the graphics and being amazed on how well they looked? Then, you move on with your life and continue playing other games that are more advanced. Each time you play a more advanced game, you think to yourself, "Wow the graphics are amazing." This happens every time the next big thing comes out. Soon you are playing Call of Duty and thinking to yourself... "It can't get any better than this." Just then, you get into the Battlefield series and you think, "Wow this is just CRAZY". With BF3, you think that there is no way the graphics can get any crazier. At this time, you go to look through your old video games and you spot SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs or any game of that sort and throw it into your PS2. The last time you played it you remember the graphics being amazing and you think of how many memories you had playing that game and how amazing it looked. You finally put it into your PS2 and you start playing and.... it looks like Pixelated Pacman shooter. The GUI is ugly, the gameplay is rough, and everything about the game and targeting system annoys you. You quickly get rid of it and go back to Battlefield 3.

Now tell me, do you think that in a few years we will have no appreciation for Battlefield 3 the way we do now to old "crappy" looking games? Do you think we will have some "Battlefield: 7" and then look back at Battlefield 3 and say, "this isn't even worth playing anymore".

It seems to me as if the more technology we develop and better graphic games we make, the less we will appreciate the older games. What happens when you can't make a game anymore realistic than real life? A game is supposed to be a game, not real life.

That's just my two cents, I'm not an expert or analyst or anything. I just thought about this whole "phenomena"

I think people pay WAY too much attention to graphics. I love retro games and will often go as far back as the NES to play a game. If the game has good gameplay, people will continue to play it for years to come.

However, I feel that too many games these days are solely focused on being the most technologically advanced, rather than the best gameplay. Games like that will always age worse than games with good gameplay. Technology is always going to advance and leave old games looking well, OLD. Good gameplay can be timeless though. Super Mario Bros is a fine example of that.

I think Xbox 360 has the best graphics I have ever seen out of a video game. I thought even back then, it was ahead of Playstation 4 in graphics. It isn't even a competition in my opinion.

You know, I still have some old ass games that I play. Anyone remember the original Fadeto Black? Great game! Or the original Kings Quest/Space Quest/Leisure Suit Larry games? Love them! They are pixelated to all get out. So yeah, graphics are great, but not everything...

Back