Xbox One How Microsoft will use trending to make 'a rational marketplace' on Xbox One

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
With every Xbox One eventually able to become a devkit, there's the potential for the Xbox Game Store to become overwhelmed with titles, much like the App Store or Google Play. Charla says that there are a number of built-in features that will prevent that from happening.

First up, there will be "light concept approval" for games on Xbox One. That means there will be "no fart apps" on Xbox One, even if you try to self-publish one. There's also plans for curation to create "a rational marketplace where good games get seen by lots of people."There will be ways to sort content on the Store, of course, using rather standard methods: "Most Popular," via release date, sorted alphabetically, etc. However, Charla is most excited to show games that are "trending." These aren't games that are simply popular. Instead, this information is based on "how many of your friends are starting to play this game." Self-publishing on Xbox One will be a bit more restrictive than on other platforms. For example, Microsoft won't allow devs to set their own prices on games. Developers will be able to offer a "wholesale" price, but Microsoft will ultimately determine the final price that appears on the Store. In addition, developers won't be able to set their own release dates. "We're going to work with you to set the right release date," Charla said, but "we don't want ten games of the same genre on the same date."

Source: Shack News

Good to see MSFT is ahead of the curve on this. Between the above ideas keeping everything relevant, not an advertising mess as with the 360, and the new organizational options I think the new dash will be great! What do you guys think?

Something ironic about MS bundling all games into a single marketplace (i.e., no longer separating them into arcade, indie, etc), is it's exactly what the indie developers have been asking for - to be bundled in with all games for higher visibility.

The ironic part of this is that Sony announced they will have a separate marketplace for indie, arcade, etc, which is exactly what MS is doing away with. It seems like MS is indeed 1 step ahead of the competition in this regard. In fact, I think it was MS who first introduced the indie section years ago, where Sony played follow the leader a while later. Overall I'm glad to see MS moving ahead of the competition in so many ways.

Back