Xbox 360 How to install a game to your hard drive

kevin

Contributor
You can play a game directly from the game disc without installing it to your hard drive. But you can also install it to improve load times and minimize game disc access.

Installation Process:

• First, you need to insert the game disc into your disc drive. The game will start as the default option is to automatically start the game. If the game starts, you’ll have to exit the game, and get back to the Xbox Dashboard.
  • You need to go to Home and highlight the game you want to install with your controller.
  • Press X on your controller and select Install to Hard Drive.

You’ll see a progress indicator while your game is being installed to your hard drive. The installation might take up to 12 minutes.

Notes:

• Your hard drive must have sufficient free disc space as installing a game requires between 4 and 8 gigabytes of free disc space.
  • You also need to have the game disc to start the game once you have installed it on your hard drive. But the benefits are that installing games on your hard drive minimizes game disc access and reduces load times.
  • You are not allowed to install Original Xbox games on your Xbox 360 hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installation takes much longer. I tried doing this the other day and I will tell you that I had to wait a few hours just for the game to be installed. Thanks for the tutorial though.

Thanks for the tutorial man. I've never installed any games on my harddrive before as I only have a 20GB one and it's full from GTAV and map packs. When I get a new harddrive I plan to install games, as I've heard that it reduces loading times by a good bit and makes the game run faster.

I think the reason i was never able to do is because i didnt have enough memory.

I think the reason i was never able to do is because i didnt have enough memory.

Well that depends on the size of your hard drive of course, if it's one of the models with the least space, it's not really designed to have the games installed on it.

I'm just not with installing games on my HD, I don't like it because it was just never my thing. I remember doing it with demos, and for some reason some of the games went corrupt over time so I had to re-download them.

I'd rather just buy my games hard disk. Plus it's worth it to have a hard disc for all that money that we pay for games.

Back