Keyboard & mouse vs controller?

SpiralArchitect

Which of the two do you prefer and I am talking specifically about games where it isn't obvious that one of the two is better? For example, in my experience a mouse and keyboard is better for FPS games. But what about sports games? Or an open world? If you're playing on your PC which of these two do you use?

I've been a console gamer most of my life, and only bought a decent laptop in the last year or so (meaning PC gaming has never been option). As a result, keyboard/mouse controls still feel a little unnatural, whereas I usually feel 'at home' with a controller.

That said, having practiced a little, I do see the benefits of using mouse controls, particularly for FPS games. I've yet to purchase a proper FPS though; most of my PC gaming time is either on Minecraft or Awesomenauts (a 2D side-scrolling MOBA - only discovered it through a free play weekend on Steam).

I can not really say which I prefer because it seems to me like you have to decided on a case by case basis. Sure many people would say that shooters are unbelievably better with a mouse but I find that just is not so with some games and the only games I find to be always better with a keyboard/mouse would be RTS'.

For me, it depends on the game. Certain games I prefer to play on console and thus, with a controller and certain games I prefer to play on my PC and thus, with a keyboard and mouse. (I know you can hook a controller up to a PC but I just don't like to do that.)

I definitely agree that it depends on the game. Id say sports games wouldnt be so easy with a keyboard and mouse, but RTS definitely work better with a keyboard and mouse than a controller. FPS are a toos up, i find myself aiming better with a keyboard and mouse, but actions other than wasd and the mouse buttons are a bit more difficult. Even some like f for knife, takes some getting used to.

Hmm... Surprising that some of you actually prefer controllers for FPS games even. Its probably down to the fact that I've only every played FPS games on my PC and don't buy them for my consoles. So, it seems like its a matter of practice in this particular case.

I prefer KB&M for games that require accuracy and precise timing, mostly FPS and point and click games, especially if it's competitive. I use a controller for just about everything else, even on PC since it's more convenient. 2D and third person platformers tend to work better with joysticks, so there's no question there.

To get a little off topic, if it's a strict Mouse/KB vs Controller, it really comes down to personal preference. I've heard my fair share of how using a mouse and keyboard is FAR superior when it comes to First Person Shooters, and vice versa. However, whenever I play Battlefield 3, or Black Ops 2 on PC, I regularly get first place or top of the board using either. It's all about what you feel comfortable with, as someone else said they feel more "at home" with a controller. Depending on what you grew up with, or what you were mainly into, one might just feel better then the other. Sure, a mouse can sometimes be more helpful in getting a much more precise movement, but if you've used a controller long enough, that can do the same thing.

In a vice versa again, I've played my fair share of Console Games with a mouse and keyboard using something called the XIM3. Emulates full controller support with a mouse and keyboard.
However, a controller is inherently better when playing certain types of games like Fighting or Racing. While Mouse/Keyboard is of course entirely better for RTS games.

Keyboard and a mouse somehow seems more fitting to me. Although I've never used a controller despite how fascinating it seems to be, but I think I'd still prefer a keyboard and mouse due to its old-school feeling.

To get a little off topic, if it's a strict Mouse/KB vs Controller, it really comes down to personal preference. I've heard my fair share of how using a mouse and keyboard is FAR superior when it comes to First Person Shooters, and vice versa. However, whenever I play Battlefield 3, or Black Ops 2 on PC, I regularly get first place or top of the board using either. It's all about what you feel comfortable with, as someone else said they feel more "at home" with a controller. Depending on what you grew up with, or what you were mainly into, one might just feel better then the other. Sure, a mouse can sometimes be more helpful in getting a much more precise movement, but if you've used a controller long enough, that can do the same thing.

In a vice versa again, I've played my fair share of Console Games with a mouse and keyboard using something called the XIM3. Emulates full controller support with a mouse and keyboard.
However, a controller is inherently better when playing certain types of games like Fighting or Racing. While Mouse/Keyboard is of course entirely better for RTS games.
Yea definitely. i tried to play burnout paradise with my mouse and keyboard and had a really bad time haha. Once i get the adapter for xbox controllers im going to go all out and connect my microsoft racing wheel to it.

There was an article on reddit recently, supposedly Microsoft was planning more Xbox/PC crossover for multiplayer. Some company did it with one game, and they found that keyboard + mouse aiming was smoking people using controllers. The problem is that mice are just so accurate that a joystick can't compete. So I guess it's for the best that the two platforms are kept separate. However, I think some people buy keyboard + mice controllers for 360 (I'm pretty sure they exist), because I remember playing Halo and some people we just ungodly accurate with a sniper rifle. Maybe they were actually just that good, but it seemed pretty suspicious to me. The only downside is, I miss sitting back on the couch with a controller, keyboard+mouse needs a desk pretty much, and tends to lead to some pretty bad posture while playing unless you're sitting up at a desk.

Back