Xbox One Microsoft Design Labs Custom Controller

Dizzy Squirrel

I placed an order the last week of July for one of the (semi) custom controllers Microsoft rolled out with the Xbox One S. I say semi custom because really the only thing your customizing are the colors and a bit of laser etched text if you so desire. I received mine a week to ten days ago and I'll admit I'm just vain enough to like having a controller with "my" colors and my Xbox Live gamer tag etched on it.

The S controller does feel a bit different in hand. I can't quite put my finger on it but there are some subtle changes in shape or size going on. While it doesn't have the rubberized feel of the Elite or Forza 6 controller it has a texture along the back that makes the controller easier to grasp and less slick.

The custom colors match very closely to what I visualized while putting it together online. My gamer tag while entirely legible doesn't stand out against the darker blue body of my controller, perhaps some choices in color and fonts would help with this. Overall the text looks good it's just not as noticeable as I'd hoped.

The buttons don't appear to be any different than the previous controller (3.5mm Jack controller) but the analog sticks seem to be smoother, again this is subtle. I really can't tell any difference in the triggers functionality but I can't swear they haven't been reshaped, as there is a little different feel. I've noticed no changes in the bumpers.

The Home button changes are more noticeable. The button has been repositioned so it's not as easy to inadvertently press it. This is a double edged sword at least for me. While it is definitely less likely to hit it accidentally it's also a bit more difficult to hit in general. If you like to capture video clips and screen shots you may be frustrated initially. After playing with it for over a week now it's no longer an issue.

Overall I'm very pleased with my vanity S controller. Is it worth the money? That depends on your vanity and level of funds I suppose. It certainly doesn't do anything a standard S controller won't and for around fifty dollars more you can get an Elite controller that is definitely several steps above a standard controller, as long as you want it in basic black.

https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com

Back