Xbox One Minecraft Today

SashaS

When I used to play Minecraft it was a simple, humble little block game where everyone was happy and life was simple. I have recently come on the most popular servers after not playing the game for two years. It's crazy now, there are so many features and new items, which is great. But there are a few things that have taken a turn for the worse.

Firstly, there are an abundance of hackers, which isn't great. There are also many of those "12 year olds" who resort to profanity and name calling. It's not Mojang/Microsoft's fault, but it is a concern. I guess the only way to avoid it is to play on a server where it's only your friends. The amount of mods that are available is great though. You can do so much with the game now, it's no longer a "simple game." Minecraft is still a great game though and constant developer support keeps fueling the fire. I will always enjoy singleplayer.

What do you think? Do you prefer the Minecraft of three years ago or the advanced, more serious commercial game that it is today? Personally, I prefer the former.

Minecraft has changed a lot stylistically over the years. Before the game was officially released there was a good balance between survival and sandbox. I liked the simplicity of only having to worry about your health bar and not hunger. I feel like hunger was an attempt to fix the problem of overabundance of food (since it became valueless after you'd developed a big enough farm) but now it makes the early game of Minecraft much more difficult and takes away from the experience of starting out and adding your own touch to your house, mine, etc.

Ever since the release the game has gotten way too convoluted. It's become more of an RPG than an open-world sandbox game. there are so many elements of the game that you have to worry about compared to older versions of Minecraft. I like some of the aspects of the new interface (like being able to connect to multiple servers) but overall i think the game has gotten worse and panders to a new demographic of kids that they're looking to profit on.

Much agreed, especially with Microsoft, who are in my opinion a bunch of money-hungry scums when it comes to more commercial games (the built in Windows 8/10 games have ads, wtf?) running the game it really leaves me depressed. What I do like is that the launcher still lets you play older versions of the game and that there are still some vanilla servers out there with a maximum of 30 players. That's the Minecraft I remember, that's the Minecraft I loved.

Minecraft as changed beyond all recognition and while I've personally never been a fan if the game, I can see why people find it so addictive.

I think this can be said about most games though, and if you look at a game that's been released even only a couple of years ago, the difference between them then and now is a stark contrast.

Minecraft has changed a lot stylistically over the years. Before the game was officially released there was a good balance between survival and sandbox. I liked the simplicity of only having to worry about your health bar and not hunger. I feel like hunger was an attempt to fix the problem of overabundance of food (since it became valueless after you'd developed a big enough farm) but now it makes the early game of Minecraft much more difficult and takes away from the experience of starting out and adding your own touch to your house, mine, etc.

Ever since the release the game has gotten way too convoluted. It's become more of an RPG than an open-world sandbox game. there are so many elements of the game that you have to worry about compared to older versions of Minecraft. I like some of the aspects of the new interface (like being able to connect to multiple servers) but overall i think the game has gotten worse and panders to a new demographic of kids that they're looking to profit on.

I know what you mean, however I think that that is just the way we remember the game, when we listen to that original minecraft music it brings back memories. Now it is a much different game, you're right, I wouldn't say that it is getting worse, I just think that it is evolving in a way that other games cannot because their story is much too boring. I'm glad to see the game still being played by people, however I wish there was on option right as you start the game that gave you the ability to play the old minecraft, because I think that us fans since day 1 really miss it.

Yep, game got bloated. The problem with games getting popular is that sometimes their popularity throws them off the rails and they end up somewhat unplayable for an extended period of time from the bloat. It's a horrible phenomenon but it happens all the time.

I have to admit that I've never been a Minecraft fan to be honest but back when the game was first released I could see the appeal it had. Looking at the game these days though and it seems like it's lost it's original appeal and it's tried to become something that it isn't and was never intended to be.

This might have brought new players to the game, but I would think that's been to the detriment of the original players that made the game popular in the first place.

Back