Xbox One Monitor or TV?

Monitor or TV?

• Total voters

SashaS

Console gaming is great and things like the controller, where you sit and what additional peripherals you use matters because it all contributes to an enjoyable gaming environment. But one of the most important aspects, besides the console itself, is the display. It dictates how well you see everything and how much you can see. Therefore the perfect display is a must-have for any console gamer who can afford it.

I currently play on my 55" 1080p tv and its great. My PC takes up my 24" Dell QHD monitor but the thought of using a monitor as your console's display has gotten me thinking. Would this be a viable option to those who want to sit closer to their displays? I don't know of anyone who does this, but I think console gamers who don't use their monitors for their PC ( perhaps they have a laptop ) might be doing this.

Would you have a great monitor as your display or would you rather have a massive tv? For example. choose between a 34" ultra wide 4K LG monitor or a 85" 4K Vizio tv. Lets assume you have an unlimited budget since the latter is rather expensive.

TV all the way for me. I've played on monitors before and while I know the purpose built ones for gaming are good, they tend to be expensive.

At the moment I'm playing on a 60" curved TV hooked up to Dolby surround through an amp, and I'm happy enough with that setup, and its not cost an arm and a leg either.

I use a tv personally, but I think there's a lot to be said about monitors if you can find them cheap enough. TVs are way harder to find at discounts because theyre in higher demand generally, where monitors require someone to already own a computer to want one

Consoles these days and especially the Xbox one are more than just machines to play games on. They're more of an alround entertainment system and while a monitor night be good to play games on, I'm not sure you'd get the picture quality you'd get from a TV if your using the system for watching something else.

^ $ for $ you're absolutely right - TV is usually optimized around the visual experience, and because they're in higher demand, the price can be kept lower. While there are tons of monitors that can compete with TVs, if people don't know about it, it doesn't matter. Higher end monitors also tend to be a bit more expensive these days because it is a more niche market

TV is the one for me. I've tried playing on a monitor and I feel like my sight is restricted due to how small the screen is and I often don't see people if they're far away (my sight is already bad).

^ @thebrad yeah definitely, you really only want to be using a smaller monitor for personal gaming and when you're in your room. If you're at a distance, it's not so good, but for personal gaming it's perfect

Dеpеnds оn hоw much spаcе yоu hаvе whеrе yоu gаmе. I hаvе а 23' sаmsung HD mоnitоr. Gаmеs lооk grеаt оn it. Whеn my оld CRT diеs аnd I hаvе tо gеt а nеw tv, I will gеt а lаrgе HD tv. Until thеn, I аm vеry hаppy with thе mоnitоr running my 360/PS3.

@Benoit W I totally forgot about space. One of my biggest issues used to be available desk space, and I remember having to have a much smaller monitor that I needed specifically because I had so much garbage that I didn't really need clogging up my room. Now that I have the means, I prefer monitors almost exclusively.

I prefer a TV. Wouldn't be able to sit on my comfy couch if I played on a monitor;)

It depends on the stuff you have at your home. If my TV was a little bit more modern I'd pick it up as a device for my console. However, I'm using my monitor as of today.

A lot will also depend on what you play your games on in the first place aswell. I'm a console gamer so I naturally hook the device up to my TV. If I played on PC, I'd imagine that I'd play with a monitor.

Is it even possible to hook a PC up to a TV?

TV, for sure, because my monitor is way too small to satisfy my gaming needs. I think maybe I'd enjoy certain types of games more in a monitor than in a TV, but so far so good. Also, I don't have a monitor PC, only a laptop, so that's out of question XD

While a lot of people these day's do still have desktop PC's, I think more and more are going down the route that you have @cecejailer and are opting for a laptop. We can of course plug the laptop into the TV or monitor, but these days the technology used by laptops and especially when it comes to the graphics and monitor, there simply isn't any need as the built in screen is more than good enough.

Really? I didn't know that. I never tried playing with my laptop, might as well start now haha. Maybe it would be better because my TV is LCD and I think it limits my movement a lot, as the screen gets dark and weird when I look at it from the sides... My laptop screen is much better quality.

You can mirror the screen form your laptop on to your TV or cast it, whatever term you want to use and it will obviously be bigger, but at the same time you'll lose some of the quality as the laptop resolution will more than likely be better than your TV. That is of course unless you've got a Ultra HD 60" 4K curved screen one, but even then you'll find the quality will be as good as, rather than better.

Well to be honest I was kind of surprised at the amount of people not saying TV, because I just thought that it was standard across the board. I know that the main reason why I use the TV is because I spent almost six hundred dollars on the thing so I need to get my money's worth and get some good use out of it. It is big, too, which is perfect when I find my good spot on the couch and it feels like I am in the game.

Monitors these days though aren't like what they used to be don't forget, and when a person says PC monitor, it conjures up visions of a bulky, beige device with a green screen, haha!

These days some of the top of the range monitors are as good as, or sometimes even better than people's TV's these days, and while like I said before, I still use a TV, but if I could afford one of the top of the range, purposely built for gaming monitors that are available these days, then I would seriously think about switching over as well.

I like using TV's. Its just easier since I do not own a monitor. Also, I am not financially able to go and buy a monitor since its been quite tough for me these past few years. The TV I can use to watch TV, play on my Xbox, or do many other things since it is a smart tv. It makes my life easier since everything I need is right there and I have no use in trying to change my setup.

I also hate sitting up close to a screen, whether it is a computer screen or a TV. So having a large TV is a must for me so I can sit back on my sofa and relax while playing.

I might change my mind when I am able to buy a monitor, but it won't be anytime soon...

Back