Xbox One NDA Lifts tomorrow for some aspects of Xbox One's GPU. Any expectations or prediction

sidd230

From
India
I am just curious if anyone has any predictions. This is strictly for fun while we await any potential news from Microsoft. I'm honestly not expecting any bombshell news or anything like that, but does anyone else have any hopes for what the NDA could be silencing at this point?

I've been trying to follow this since day one. It's hard to tell since now I am hearing that MS might just keep this a full secret until Nov 22. But We will see.

Albert Penello already shut this rumor down saying there's no dGPU in the xbox one

Well, it's September 30th. I guess today we find out if indeed "Gaf will burn".

Seriously, I do wish we could get past these things and just play games.

I agree. Its hard to see when consoles have been about games, we have them, they they are paying no focus to it. SMH...oh well.

The thing is, these are so called next gen devices but are already very outdated at launch...

I cannot believe people are going to play on this hardware for the next 8 years.

The thing is, these are so called next gen devices but are already very outdated at launch...

I cannot believe people are going to play on this hardware for the next 8 years.

That was the same issue last gen and people played on them for 8 years.

The Xbox 360 and the PS3 were reasonably powerful, almost as good as a good PC in 2006.

These next gen machines are outdone by my one year old 800$ build...

The Xbox 360 and the PS3 were reasonably powerful, almost as good as a good PC in 2006.

I think PC gamers will continue to be PC gamers and console gamers will continue to game on consoles. I don't see hardcore console gamers suddenly making the switch, sure there's a a large cross-over (I played on both) but that will remain to be nothing more than a cross over. It's all about preference.

The difference is that your $800 PC is static. It will never get better over time, the graphics will always be stuck at the same level as the day you bought it. While newer and newer games are released, you will find yourself having to turn down graphic settings, making each new game require lower and lower settings to keep the same frame rates, eventually the newest games won't be possible on the static $800 hardware.

However, a game console will actually get better over time. It's dynamic. Because it's a closed system developers get to tweak their code for every new game, getting more/better performance for each new release. This is because game consoles can be fully optimized by game developers, seeing as they know exactly what kind of hardware and drivers are in every single Xbox One. Not to mention, the game console is using FAR less resources to accomplish the same goals as a generic $800 PC.

Just look at the graphics between Halo 3 (right) and Halo 4 (left). Both on console, developed 5 years apart.

halo3-vs-halo4-closeup.jpg

Full Disclosure: I own 2 gaming PC's, both custom built by me for over $1,200 each (at the time parts were purchased). PC 1: Intel Core i5, GTX 570, 8GB DDR3. PC 2: Intel Core i7, GTX 670, 16GB DDR3.

I know full well how much it costs to keep a gaming PC relevant for games.

I agree. While a PC IS capable of better graphics overall, it takes alot more hardware to reach that level. Its always baffled me when i read a console's specs and then looked at the amazing games put out on those consoles.

Look at GTAV just as the latest example. The game looks great! Its obviously not on the level of some of the newest PC games but it is STILL amazing. Then look at the XBOX360 specs....512MB of ram? Thats HALF of one gig, running at 700mhz. todays PC's run 8gig of ram and thats just for the system, the graphics usually require at least another 1gb of ram at ridiculous bandwidths.

So although the specs of the XBone or PS4 are that of entry level gaming PC's, I am 100% sure they will remain relevant for at least another 8 years.

Back