Xbox One Popular Mechanics Honors Xbox One with 2013 “Breakthrough Award” for Innovation

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Some products are evolutionary, others are revolutionary. The Xbox One is both. The most notable improvement is the new Kinect sensor, which is integral to the operation of the console. It can see in total darkness, track the fine movements of your hands and muscles, and even sense your heartbeat. Gamers may have taken issue with the Xbox One's price ($500) and paywall restrictions (some features require a $50 per year subscription), but technologically it's a huge upgrade from its predecessor. The platform is so advanced that developers have barely begun to grasp all its possibilities.

Via Popular Mechanics

BTA2013logoFINALwbackground.jpg

The Popular Mechanics Breakthrough Awards acknowledge products and innovators across technology, medicine, space exploration, automotive design, and beyond that are setting benchmarks in design and engineering.During the selection process, editors from Popular Mechanics consulted a wide range of experts and tested hundreds of products throughout the year to arrive at their “game-changing” selections.

“Each year’s recipients are awe-inspiring as they shape our future through life-changing ideas and innovative products,” said James B. Meigs, editor-in-chief of Popular Mechanics. Some of the other winners in both the Product and Innovator categories include the Pebble Watch, Curiousity Mars Science Laboratory, Indego Exoskeleton and the Moringa-Seed Water Filter.

Via XBOX Wire

Well this is definitely a good sign. It's nice to see Microsoft getting some positive buzz for a change. I think the key point to take away is the praise the Kinect sensor gets; with plenty of naysayers lately this is great news and reaffirms my decision to buy XB1 before I buy the PS4. What do you guys think? Does this change or reinforce your decision?

Yeah, it was kinda expected to be honest. I honest;y don't get the hate and backlash it got initially for it's online requirement. Really people? You will be playing all your games online within few year.

They must have really liked the Kinect to include it with all those other innovative gadgets. That digital modeling unit in particular looks stunning. I'd have to see for myself, but to have the endorsement of Popular Mechanics is a big plus for the console.

This is the first Award that XBox one is getting, there are still plenty to come. I think that it will break many records this time in terms of sell.

This is the first Award that XBox one is getting, there are still plenty to come. I think that it will break many records this time in terms of sell.

In terms of sales not so much.
Since Sony has kind of won over consumers in the Pre - release battle.
But I'm confident the XBone will do amazing at release and yes, Many awards to come

I still think that the Oculus Rift is the best innovation of this year, but i guess that not everyone enjoyed having VIRTUAL REALITY. Maybe it's because there isn't many games that can be used for it. Maybe in the future....

Personally, I'm looking forward to see how an endorsement and award from Popular Mechanics can be degraded and dismissed. It's like my Xbox One game before I actually buy one.

I think people are still underestimating how well the Xbox One is going to sell.

No one is underestimating it here. Sony themselves admitted that Microsoft is really smart. They will mange to sell the console on way or the other.

Wow. I was thinking of buying the PS4 but after this post it seems like they're actually pretty proud to announce this. I really want to buy the Xbox One now. It says all of it's capabilities, now I think they added a bit too much. I mean adding it so it can track your HEARTBEAT? WOAH, A bit scary.

Wow. I was thinking of buying the PS4 but after this post it seems like they're actually pretty proud to announce this. I really want to buy the Xbox One now. It says all of it's capabilities, now I think they added a bit too much. I mean adding it so it can track your HEARTBEAT? WOAH, A bit scary.

Scary in a good way yeah?

I'm actually kind of disappointed how they gave Microsoft an award when there's tons of lone developers that have done much better things than what the Xbox One has to offer. It's as if Microsoft payed them to have them give an award for the Xbox One... This is definitely going to help microsoft sell the Xbox One though, probably one of their marketing schemes again, haha!

I'm actually kind of disappointed how they gave Microsoft an award when there's tons of lone developers that have done much better things than what the Xbox One has to offer. It's as if Microsoft payed them to have them give an award for the Xbox One... This is definitely going to help microsoft sell the Xbox One though, probably one of their marketing schemes again, haha!

It's a list of 10 innovations. What innovations not listed do you feel deserve MSFT's spot? What developers are you referring to? This award was on Popular Mechanics, not Game Informer or some MTV site so I doubt it was rigged.

Personally, I'm looking forward to see how an endorsement and award from Popular Mechanics can be degraded and dismissed. It's like my Xbox One game before I actually buy one.

I just wanted to say thank you for coming through with this post.

Back