Xbox One PS4 tops Xbox One as gamers' holiday choice

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Asked about their interest in dedicated game devices, 26 percent of 1,297 people surveyed online last week say they are likely to purchase the new PlayStation 4 when available, versus 15 percent opting for the Xbox One.
The rift widens among those below the age of 40. Of that group of 408 people, 41 percent picked Sony's PS4 versus 27 percent for Microsoft's Xbox One, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted from Sept. 23 to Sept. 27.
Though based on a limited sample, the results potentially point to a lopsided battle during the crucial holiday season, with Microsoft and Sony hoping to get their newest consoles into U.S. households. Apart from games, they act as conduits for living-room entertainment, from TV shows to music.

I personally think polls like this mean very little when it comes to final numbers, but it is interesting to see the outlook they revealed. I assumed PS4 would win the initial launch craze, entirely due to Microsoft's mixed messaging. I don't think Microsoft has anything to worry about in the long run, since all new information released by them is really building hype for their new consoles. Besides the hardcore gamers will eventually own both consoles and the casual market may be interested more in what non gaming features both consoles offer, which is where Microsoft seems to have the upper hand.

Source: CNBC

That sample size is very small, considering less than half of the responders are buying either system (unless I'm reading it wrong). That means they are only looking at a few hundred people.

But there again Microsoft are sending out mixed messages as they said that they are working on entertainment services. Whereas the PS4 is sticking to gaming. This is how I think this will play out, people will buy the Xbox One for casual gaming and the tv services promised and other people will buy the PS4 for hardcore gaming only. Just my opinion though.

I've no doubt the gamers will go where the games are. MS flubbed the announcement and has eaten a lot of crow.

Give it time - I'm certain things won't always be so lop-sided against MS or XB1.

This stuff doesnt even matter anymore. We have 50 days or less until the systems come out and we will ge tto enjoy all the games we have coming out

Only the fanboys will remember the E3 fiasco and still hold a grudge about it. By the time the consoles are released the only concern will be the games and how good they are or are not.

At the end of the day it all comes down to preference. I had both systems a few years ago and prefer Xbox. My extended family prefers Xbox. Being a political analyst , I am pretty aware that most polls are biased and aimed at a certain group. As you all know groups vary from race, age to demographics. I believe that polls are used as a form of coffee talk. Just something to get people talking.

I honestly don't know which console I want to purchase. In my opinion both consoles are favorites of mine. I mean I enjoyed both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, so I am torn between the two. Although I think in the end Xbox will out sell Playstation.

Seeing how the PS4 is cheaper, i think everyone will just going to get it on the beginning and then jump to the Xbox One when it drops in price?

Well, numbers matter and this number is going to help boost PS4 sales even more. Unfortunately, Microsoft sent the wrong message to their audience and Sony capitalized on it like a boss. That's what happens when you don't convey your messages properly.

I am going to buy both of the consoles but I can totally understand why the public is on the PS4 bandwagon. Gamers tend to want consoles that are solely focused on actual gaming. I think Microsoft is reaching too far by trying to prevent an all in one entertainment experience. That isn't exactly what I am looking for in a next generation gaming console though I am still going to buy it. In the end I do not see PS4 outselling xbox one. It might outsell it initially but I doubt it will in the long term and that is what matters.

I am going to buy both of the consoles but I can totally understand why the public is on the PS4 bandwagon. Gamers tend to want consoles that are solely focused on actual gaming. I think Microsoft is reaching too far by trying to prevent an all in one entertainment experience. That isn't exactly what I am looking for in a next generation gaming console though I am still going to buy it. In the end I do not see PS4 outselling xbox one. It might outsell it initially but I doubt it will in the long term and that is what matters.

As a former hardcore gamer that had almost every system since 1983, those very entertainment features are the reason I am only going Xbox One this generation. Families change gaming priorities, and those of us now in our 40's want more than just a pure gaming machine. Sony I believe is underestimating this.

But there again Microsoft are sending out mixed messages as they said that they are working on entertainment services. Whereas the PS4 is sticking to gaming. This is how I think this will play out, people will buy the Xbox One for casual gaming and the tv services promised and other people will buy the PS4 for hardcore gaming only. Just my opinion though.

I look at it differently, using what we know about gamers today. The average age of gamer is in their 30's. I don't have statistics of this next statement, but I'd guess that there's a large percentage of those average gamers that have families and that do more than just game on their TV. So even if the 'hardcore gamers' choose PS4, the majority of gamers are still the people who do more than just game in their living-rooms. This is why I am confident the Xbox One will be a very big success, bigger than the competition (over time). PS4 will get the initial boost of pre-order sales form the hardcore crowd, but when the majority of average gamers are faced with a choice, they'll pick the console that has the best games AND is being marketed towards the best entertainment/all-in-one device for their living-room. This leads me on to my below statement:

Seeing how the PS4 is cheaper, i think everyone will just going to get it on the beginning and then jump to the Xbox One when it drops in price?

A possibly overlooked scenario this holiday season is this:

You go the store to buy a console, you see the Xbox One for $499 that comes with the console, controller and Kinect. Then you see the PS4 for $399, and sitting next to the PS4 is the PS Eye Toy for $59.99. Now you're a more-or-less informed consumer and understand the Kinect has been getting awesome reviews and how it can log you in automatically, etc. Meanwhile, you haven't heard much of anything about the PS Eye Toy (this is literally how the marketing of both devices stands today). I'm willing to bet that extra $40 price difference is going to the Xbox One.

All in all the Xbox is known for the better online service, better controller, and better voice/hands-free device. They both cost money to play online now too.

The way Microsoft has been acting is basically letting the games speak for themselves on the actual Xbox One hardware, this is going to create the buzz they need to get the console sold off the shelves for the foreseeable future.

1: "Have you heard about the PS4"?
2: "Yeah, I heard it was 40% more powerful than the Xbox One."

1: "Yeah, but have you seen game XYZ on the Xbox One?"
2: "Totally, it looks like the best game ever!"

I'm betting #1 and #2 are getting an Xbox One. :)

Back