So the Wii U is a failure?

Viridian

That's the vibe I'm getting reading through this thread list, at least : P

That's a shame. I never copped out the cash for one, didn't seem appealing to me (and especially not gonna bother now, with all the sour news and a lack of any of the real meaty games like a Metroid or Zelda), and I'll be perfectly content with Smash Bros. on my 3ds.

Can anyone recommend any saving graces? A diamond in the rough, if you will? Heard good things about Zombie U, but one zombie-themed roguelike hardly seems like an excuse to burn a $300 sized hole in my wallet.

Well, the Wii U isn't doing great at the moment but it does have good games. The problem is that the best games - the killer apps, even - still haven't come out.

Right now there's New Super Mario Bros. Wii U (or whatever it's called!), Pikmin 3, ZombiU (as you mentioned), some Monster Hunter. Those are the biggest ones I can think of that are exclusive that are already released.

Coming up, though, it gets much better. Coming soon, there's The Wonderful 101, which looks pretty good and challenging. But 2014 is looking like the best year for the Wii U so far because of Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros. 4 and Bayonetta 2, among others. There's also potentially great games that have no announced dates like Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem and a new Legend of Zelda.

It's not great at the moment, but I think the future is brighter.

People are quick on the jump - they forget that starting out many consoles don't have very much to recommend them. I mean back when it was 360/PS4/Wii they each had one really great headliner and then some other stuff, but because they were so new and different folks gave them more of a chance. Now folks are looking for instant gratification or confirmation and when they don't get it they call fail. It's really annoying to say the least.

I would not say it is a failure. It has just not reached the level of success compared to the Xbox and Playstation consoles. I feel that this system has been overshadowed.

Dannyboy Xbone and PS4 haven't launched yet. Therefore there is an incomplete data set right now. As far as 360, PS3, and Wii went it happened that the Wii came from behind to win all the Internets.

I'd say it's having a bit of a shaky start, but plenty of successful consoles have as well. I think they're largely following the paradigm they set for the Wii, and since there's been a market shift, it's not working quite as well this time, but they will always make their offering worthwhile with their excellent first party games.

IMO I think its on its way out. YES I know this has said time and time before about the 3DS and the Gamecube. But here is what is different...They are losing ALL of their support. Especially from 3rd parties. Now I have a Wii U and only one game but thats because I am a collector is all. Its a fun system but I just cant have fun playing it for too long ya know? They need to make some new IP's. Everyone always says that X1 or PS4 need to new IP's, but never to Nintendo. How many times do we have to play as Mario, Zelda. I think the game crowd may be getting tired of it..or maybe ourgrowing it. It also doesnt help that the X1 and PS4 are just now coming out, that doesnt help them at all. This is how I see it...When you dont sell out during the holiday but OVERSTROCK your supply......you have a MAJOR problem.

Everyone always says that X1 or PS4 need to new IP's, but never to Nintendo. How many times do we have to play as Mario, Zelda. I think the game crowd may be getting tired of it..or maybe ourgrowing it. It also doesnt help that the X1 and PS4 are just now coming out, that doesnt help them at all.

I actually agree with both of these points, it is annoying that Nintendo just keeps releasing the same franchises over and over... but the thing is that they still sell and they still have huge fanbases. This is why I think that Super Mario 3D World and a new Zelda will be killer apps. After all, people buy Nintendo for their exclusives, not for the 3rd parties (though I would personally say that others have better exclusives than Nintendo).

The X1 and PS4 launches certainly do not help the Wii U, but I still think we have to wait until 2014 has passed to really see if the Wii U is a success or a failure.

I actually agree with both of these points, it is annoying that Nintendo just keeps releasing the same franchises over and over... but the thing is that they still sell and they still have huge fanbases. This is why I think that Super Mario 3D World and a new Zelda will be killer apps. After all, people buy Nintendo for their exclusives, not for the 3rd parties (though I would personally say that others have better exclusives than Nintendo).

The X1 and PS4 launches certainly do not help the Wii U, but I still think we have to wait until 2014 has passed to really see if the Wii U is a success or a failure.

But so do Halo and Gears. Gamers always make things a double edge sword lol

Wii U, 3DS, PSVita, all those might be considered failures because of how small they turned out to be in comparison to previous consoles. The thing is, because they all came out in awkward times, full of faults and no software planned to it, every customer ended up suffering from that.
Is it going to get better? Most definitely, but it will take a lot of time.

But so do Halo and Gears. Gamers always make things a double edge sword lol

Halo and Gears are really popular and all, but they aren't as popular as Nintendo's biggest franchises. Nintendo sells to the hardcore and casuals, which means a lot of parents buying Nintendo consoles for their children. Halo and Gears don't have as much "mass appeal", I guess.

Wii U, 3DS, PSVita, all those might be considered failures because of how small they turned out to be in comparison to previous consoles. The thing is, because they all came out in awkward times, full of faults and no software planned to it, every customer ended up suffering from that.
Is it going to get better? Most definitely, but it will take a lot of time.

For the Wii U? I dont think it will. Like I said, you can see they are losing their support. 3DS is still amking games that people want and the Vita just got a HUGE push from Sony yesterday (even though I dont think that will do anything) Wii U is....god IDK I dont want it to fail but come holiday...its gonna be harsh on them.

It is a good console i believe, i wouldn't say the 3DS is but yeh the ps vita and Wii U are, they don't seem to really release games as said in a previous thread.

It's waaay too early in the lifecycle to declare anything a failure. It launched awkwardly, as it was launched relatively quietly compared to the grand hooplah and parades the XB1 and PS4 are getting. Despite that, it still sold around just under a million in its launch window, despite a poor library and the next gen Microsoft and Sony consoles on the horizon.. Now, the XB1 and PS4 are set to launch and have pre-sale numbers over a million, with good launch libraries, but we'll have to see how many people actually pony up.

It's like Nintendi's 32X. First I was like: it#s a great concept, a nice addon. But now I'm like: there aren't any games and why don't they just put out a whole new console?

It's like Nintendi's 32X. First I was like: it#s a great concept, a nice addon. But now I'm like: there aren't any games and why don't they just put out a whole new console?

cause you never lead with everything you've got, you need to keep something for a rainy day. I don't know why people are calling it a failure when it hasn't even been a year yet and with pikmen 3 just coming out and smash bros and wind waker hd in the next bit sales will pick up. Don't forget we still haven't seen next the full blown zelda/mario (NSMB WiiU doesn't count, I'm talking single player only mario)

cause you never lead with everything you've got, you need to keep something for a rainy day. I don't know why people are calling it a failure when it hasn't even been a year yet and with pikmen 3 just coming out and smash bros and wind waker hd in the next bit sales will pick up. Don't forget we still haven't seen next the full blown zelda/mario (NSMB WiiU doesn't count, I'm talking single player only mario)

This is what I'm saying. It's still too early. You know when we can decide if it's a failure or not? After Super Mario 3D World, Smash 4, a new Zelda, a new Mario Kart and a new Mario Party are released. If it fails to sell units after these system sellers come out, then it will truly have failed.

Anyone remember the 3DS? That thing was struggling until they announced Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion and whatever. It's the same situation here.

IMO I think its on its way out. YES I know this has said time and time before about the 3DS and the Gamecube. But here is what is different...They are losing ALL of their support. Especially from 3rd parties. Now I have a Wii U and only one game but thats because I am a collector is all. Its a fun system but I just cant have fun playing it for too long ya know? They need to make some new IP's. Everyone always says that X1 or PS4 need to new IP's, but never to Nintendo. How many times do we have to play as Mario, Zelda. I think the game crowd may be getting tired of it..or maybe ourgrowing it. It also doesnt help that the X1 and PS4 are just now coming out, that doesnt help them at all. This is how I see it...When you dont sell out during the holiday but OVERSTROCK your supply......you have a MAJOR problem.

Okay here is the thing - much in the way MS focuses too much on the US, Nintendo focuses on the Asian market. Now western gamers might be tired of these games, but the Asian market still loves them. On top of that the WiiU is making new IPs and trying different things, but people never mention or investigate that. They instead focus on the old stuff. It's like how people mention Mario and junk for the Wii while forgetting all the other games and titles and whatnot of the Wii. Did you know there is a nice selection of horror titles for the Wii? That you can find shooters and such? Probably not because people focus on the old IPs instead of looking through the catalog, but then gamers (particularly the "hardcore") tend to be very conservative in what draws their interest.

I would say that the Wii U is on its way to becoming a failure. I don't anticipate a rally during the holiday season but I wouldn't completely rule out a comeback. Nintendo has seriously lost its way since the N64. That's the last time that I really enjoyed a Nintendo console. I mean there are some good Wii games that I'll play from time to time but the fun factor isn't what it used to be. None of my friends bought the Wii U, just me. I'm actually considering selling my unit and games but I doubt I will in the end because I am a collector by nature.

Back