Target Audience For Nintendo Systems

dannyboy

Does it seem like the Nintendo Wii and other Nintendo systems are geared towards a younger audience opposed to Xbox and Playstation systems.

Here is the thing that people don't understand, Nintendo makes good fundamentally solid games that everyone can play. Because of this, people think that Nintendo only makes games for kids. At the end of the day, Mario can appeal to any age. I love it just as much as when I was a kid.

Something like Pokemon is obviously targeted at kids on a base level. Still, the competitive scene is definitely not aimed at younger audiences. Nobody can just pick up a Pokemon game and do well at the competitive level. In this way, Pokemon is great for younger and older audiences.

Yeah i can agree with that. Ultimately i think it is great that Nintendo can make games that people of all ages can play. You can reach a larger group of people that way.

Yeah i can agree with that. Ultimately i think it is great that Nintendo can make games that people of all ages can play. You can reach a larger group of people that way.

I think the idea that games are age exclusive, is ridiculous. If a game is good, you should play it, regardless if it is "kiddie" or not. Of course young kids should probably avoid playing games that are too violent or adult for them.

I've said multiple places that just because a game is simple, didnt have a billion dollar budget and doesnt have cinema grade graphics, DOESNT mean its not a good game. Ive also mentioned how multiple times, id be at home, with all the latest consoles and a decent PC to play games on, and would end up playing either the Wii, or emulators of NES games on one of the consoles. Fun factor is more important than graphics any day

I kept buying into the idea that the console was made for kids.
However, at the age of 18, and I'd give anything for a 3DS To play the new Mario and most importantly... Pokemon X and Y.
Honestly.. ANYTHING

Without a doubt, nintendo's systems are mostly targeted to those who are a tad younger then those that are targeted for Playstations and xbox. The games that Nintendo produces are quite simplistic and overall I'd say Nintendo is aimed for younger kids.

Nintendo is smart to not limit their market to the general age and gender of the most common gamer. I know people in their 70's who get into the Wii and I think its great. Games and play are good for all ages.

not so much younger as it is casual. Granted there are still games for the mature/core demographic ie mad world. But that being said nintendo is known and sold mostly based on it's first party games which just so happen to mostly be family oriented

I don't agree that Nintendo makes kids games, there are more than plenty adults who enjoy playing Mario Kart, Pokemon, Zelda, Smash Bros. just to give some examples.
What Nintendo does however is do games that can be enjoyable by people of nearly all ages, something that other developers still haven't been ale to reproduce.

They're more family oriented. That doesn't mean that they're targeting kids though. They want your dad, your mum, you, your baby brother, your great granddad that doesn't even know what year it is, and your cool older cousin. They want everyone to play their games. And what's wrong with that? After all, who won the last generation again? Because it wasn't Sony or Microsoft.

Sony and Microsoft are still very much targeting the people who are already gamers. Which is all well and good, but you have to expand to make the most money. Which is what Nintendo is willing to do. They make kid friendly games. They make family friendly games. They make brutal mature games too. And frankly, a mature game is not something which has guns and blood and hookers and big explosions. If anything, that's a game aimed at kids more than anything else, or at least, twelve year olds.

I think that Nintendo's Wii U is geared more for a family use, as well as younger audiences. When you look at consoles like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One you might notice that the games are geared more for adult audiences. I don't think that a family oriented console is a bad thing, but I do think it is bad if you want the sell video games in this day and age.

While Nintendo is more family and casual oriented than the competition, I think their target is just really everyone. They have something for everyone, really, and even some of their "casual" "family" games attract more hardcore gamers, unless they're in the "lol games without gore r 4 kids lel" mindset. So I guess their target is everyone except edgy teens.

While Nintendo is more family and casual oriented than the competition, I think their target is just really everyone. They have something for everyone, really, and even some of their "casual" "family" games attract more hardcore gamers, unless they're in the "lol games without gore r 4 kids lel" mindset. So I guess their target is everyone except edgy teens.

And who on earth wants to attract edgy teens?

Generally it is but there are plenty of games for people of all ages. Wii is something that even the littler kids can play and play it well. I got beat at tennis by a six year old so I know what I am saying!

Generally it is but there are plenty of games for people of all ages. Wii is something that even the littler kids can play and play it well. I got beat at tennis by a six year old so I know what I am saying!

How on earth did that happen?!

She was seriously good and I was never any good at tennis. Everyone in the room was rooting for her so I didn't go crazy on her. It was worth it, she was one very happy little girl! Quick too!

There was always the option of throwing the controller at her! Those things can slip you know... ;)

But seriously, I think it's great how they can make a game that can be so well played by someone so young.

She was seriously good and I was never any good at tennis. Everyone in the room was rooting for her so I didn't go crazy on her. It was worth it, she was one very happy little girl! Quick too!

Bah, should have beat her and taught her how to be a gracious in defeat!

No, they just make games that aren't like what the rest of the industry is producing (brown junk)

Back