Xbox One The future of Fable on Xbox One / Fable general discussion thread.

TYBG

I thought we could discuss a little bit about Fable in this thread and how you feel about it, and what it's future will be on the Xbox One.

When I bought my first Xbox, the game I was most looking forward to playing was definitely Fable 1. I spent months on forums and researching it, and to be honest it was everything I expected and more. As a game it was maybe a little bit empty, I mean the story was short, the items were few, the gameplay was very simple, etc. But the atmosphere, music, voice acting, characters, setting and story were amazing. It instantly became my favourite game of all time. I completed it well over 20 times, sometimes once or twice in an entire day.

Then Fable II was announced. I wasn't too sure about it, and I expected a lot more, like maybe it would actually feel like a next-gen game and include everything that Fable 1 was lacking. But it didn't. I was quite disappointed and it took me a while to like it and appreciate that it still kind of felt like a Fable game and it still had that atmosphere and style to it.

But then Fable III suddenly arrived and it was terrible. The gameplay was reduced to mashing 1 or 2 buttons, no variation at all, a pretty weird story, absolutely no improvements at all anywhere. The setting and design of it was still kind of Fable-ish but it wasn't entirely. This was the first Fable game I wasn't able to complete. I literally gave up on it for being too easy (even on the hardest difficulty, which essentially gave you less life and made enemies more resistant rather than harder) and as a Fable game, too bad. I honestly didn't think you could make an M rated game be this simple and childish to play.

I didn't bother playing Journey because I don't own a Kinect, and from what I've heard, it's another bad game.

Legends seems like it might be good, mainly because it's set long before the first game, so it will clarify the story a little more and hopefully feel the same as Fable 1. I just hope they make it a little "bigger" in content. I'm tired of them making these games too simple and lacking in content.

Oh, and then theres Anniversary, which is Lionhead's answer to all the fans pleading for another game similar to TLC. It's basically a HD remaster of Fable TLC, which in my opinion isn't the solution to a fanbase begging for another good Fable game. It's going to be on Xbox 360 and released in February 2014. This is really pointless in my opinion given that Xbox One will be completely out by then, and I didn't feel like TLC needed a HD remaster quite yet. They could have put that effort into making another Fable 1-esque game.

Honestly, almost the entire fanbase is not happy with what the franchise has become, and all we really want is another game similar to the first, but improved instead of becoming more accessible. Peter Molyneux has left, and I don't know what to think anymore, but it's a real shame that a franchise that could have been this good has instead gone to waste.

-

Damn that was long.

Oh! And I'm not entirely sure if this would be the right section for this thread, but either way, mods can feel free to move it.

Last edited:
I can definitely empathize with you there on the Fable series. I didn’t really play it as much as should, but I do know that whenever the sequel and the trilogy comes along, how it’s presented is based on many factors. I’m presuming that for the first one, the developers and the team that put in the work for it had really good people.

Because despite of the first one’s shortness, the narrative was pretty good, and those are things people will eventually look for to tolerate whether or not the controls or system is too easy for them. I guess they say the first for any trilogy or series is usually the best because there’s the aim to make a very good impression.

After that, either the staff changes completely (because of their short-term contracts and moving on with other companies), or their mentality to sustain that good impression weakens. And when it comes to concepts being repeated in different ways, there’s always limits that will continue being apparent. And I think most of that falls under the gamer who’s used to these types of things.

It’s easy to get bored of something and pick out the faults and doing a comparative analysis of what was considered the best. It’s really a matter of disposition from the gamer, since there can still be fans that will love the game despite of its presumed degradation of quality and compatibility for the gamer’s preference.

Even if Fable for the Xbox One gets a bad impression, it doesn’t mean there won’t be a chance for improvement. With the type of game this is, it’s a mix between what one would do in an MMORPG vs. a single player game like this with the similar vibe.

It's funny how games work - I personally never bothered with Fable 1, but I enjoyed Fable II and really loved Fable III. I'm not sure how the story deteriorated for you, since the hero of Fable III is the child of the hero of Fable II and is meant to save the land(s) from a great evil. Seems pretty simple. That said I did feel like the games were pretty short, but that is a complaint I have for many games - particularly the most expensive. That said there was enough content (achievements, weapon upgrades, online, etc) to make up for that. I don't know I think it's just a personal thing whether you liked the later games or not or thought the first was best.

I've never really played any of the Fable games, however, I'm very interested in the one being produced for the XB1.

J

I thought we could discuss a little bit about Fable in this thread and how you feel about it, and what it's future will be on the Xbox One.

When I bought my first Xbox, the game I was most looking forward to playing was definitely Fable 1. I spent months on forums and researching it, and to be honest it was everything I expected and more. As a game it was maybe a little bit empty, I mean the story was short, the items were few, the gameplay was very simple, etc. But the atmosphere, music, voice acting, characters, setting and story were amazing. It instantly became my favourite game of all time. I completed it well over 20 times, sometimes once or twice in an entire day.

Then Fable II was announced. I wasn't too sure about it, and I expected a lot more, like maybe it would actually feel like a next-gen game and include everything that Fable 1 was lacking. But it didn't. I was quite disappointed and it took me a while to like it and appreciate that it still kind of felt like a Fable game and it still had that atmosphere and style to it.

But then Fable III suddenly arrived and it was terrible. The gameplay was reduced to mashing 1 or 2 buttons, no variation at all, a pretty weird story, absolutely no improvements at all anywhere. The setting and design of it was still kind of Fable-ish but it wasn't entirely. This was the first Fable game I wasn't able to complete. I literally gave up on it for being too easy (even on the hardest difficulty, which essentially gave you less life and made enemies more resistant rather than harder) and as a Fable game, too bad. I honestly didn't think you could make an M rated game be this simple and childish to play.

I didn't bother playing Journey because I don't own a Kinect, and from what I've heard, it's another bad game.

Legends seems like it might be good, mainly because it's set long before the first game, so it will clarify the story a little more and hopefully feel the same as Fable 1. I just hope they make it a little "bigger" in content. I'm tired of them making these games too simple and lacking in content.

Oh, and then theres Anniversary, which is Lionhead's answer to all the fans pleading for another game similar to TLC. It's basically a HD remaster of Fable TLC, which in my opinion isn't the solution to a fanbase begging for another good Fable game. It's going to be on Xbox 360 and released in February 2014. This is really pointless in my opinion given that Xbox One will be completely out by then, and I didn't feel like TLC needed a HD remaster quite yet. They could have put that effort into making another Fable 1-esque game.

Honestly, almost the entire fanbase is not happy with what the franchise has become, and all we really want is another game similar to the first, but improved instead of becoming more accessible. Peter Molyneux has left, and I don't know what to think anymore, but it's a real shame that a franchise that could have been this good has instead gone to waste.

-

Damn that was long.

Oh! And I'm not entirely sure if this would be the right section for this thread, but either way, mods can feel free to move it.

Yeah, Fable 3 was an huge disaster. not only i wasted my money on a completely boring and straight forward game, but also a couple of dozens of hours. I really regret that

Yeah, Fable 3 was an huge disaster. not only i wasted my money on a completely boring and straight forward game, but also a couple of dozens of hours. I really regret that

pfff. am i the only one who enjoyed it? it's awesome - graphics, gameplay. everything.

As long as they make a game similar to Fable 1 or 2, i'm happy. They were lacking in content but they were fun to play. Fable 3 I could play up until the desert part. I then just lost interest in it and I don't know why. If they made a bigger Fable 1, I would be a happy camper.

I thought they were all pretty good. Fable is the game that hooked me in to ARPGs. Now I'm frigging hooked. I do hope the new one is more open world like skyrim

Fable died with 3 for me. They haven't even attempted to make a new real Fable after that, just crappy spin-offs, urgh... they should continue it now that they don't have Molyneux giving people ridiculous expectations.

Fable died with 3 for me. They haven't even attempted to make a new real Fable after that, just crappy spin-offs, urgh... they should continue it now that they don't have Molyneux giving people ridiculous expectations.

Pretty much the truth.Fable: The Lost Chapters will be a standalone game for me, and trying out the sequels was enough for me to say that i don't want to associate those games with the same series. Maybe Fable Anniversary will be good, seeing how it's basically the first fable but with better graphics.

Fable 1 was an excellent, 2 was meh and 3 was just a disappointment for me.
If they do make a new game for the X1, I hope they just use the first game as a base, and from then try to improve the graphics, gameplay mechanics, etc.

Pretty much the truth.Fable: The Lost Chapters will be a standalone game for me, and trying out the sequels was enough for me to say that i don't want to associate those games with the same series. Maybe Fable Anniversary will be good, seeing how it's basically the first fable but with better graphics.

Yeah, they better don't screw up Fable Anniversary by trying to add crap or something. The first Fable still plays great, no reason to go screwing it up. Fable: TLC with better graphics sounds good enough.

It was all sort of a downfall. The first game was a blast, then the second was a bit worse, but still playable and i can say I enjoyed it. But the Fable III was a complete fail, now that I analyze it. The gameplay was extremely easy, making it completely uninteresting to mess with. I really hope they will take into account the errors.

I started the series with Fable 2. Fable 3 looked a bit iffy when I first saw it and when I played it I was let down even more. I honestly don't have any hope for Fable 4, it should have ended at 3. Even if it ends up being a good game, most people won't buy it, the series is dead.

Back