Xbox One The Xbox One will not be able to play your XBLA games

Chunkaroonie

How many XBLA games do you have attached to your live account? Wouldn't it be nice if they transferred over to the One along with your Xbox Live account? Well, unfortunately that's not going to be the case. I understand not being backwards compatible with current generation games, that's something that just doesn't seem to feasible for Microsoft or Sony but not transferring your XBLA games over is just a new low for me. If I want to play Minecraft on the new Xbox am I going to have to buy it all over again? Or do I have to keep around my 360 just to play it... either case is less than ideal for me.

Speaking to GameSpot, Microsoft Game Studios VP Phil Spencer advised gamers to keep hold of their Xbox 360s if they want to play XBLA games.
"Those games will continue to run on your Xbox 360 for as long as your Xbox 360 runs," he said.

"The box is not backward compatible and we think for somebody who invests in a large digital library that you want to keep your [Xbox 360]."

Spencer indicated that Microsoft intends for the Xbox 360 to co-exist with its new console, and reasoned that accessing Xbox Live accounts on both system was intended to facilitate this.

Via: Computer and Video Games

Ah man what? Did they seriously just do that?
It's not like i am going to sell my old console in the same moment a new one comes out, but damn, what the hell is wrong with them? Is it that hard to have the same games in a different console, or do they just want more money?

Oh man that stinks. It should definitely be backwards compatible, even with just XBLA games. That's pretty disappointing actually. Dang, does that mean we have to re-buy games on the XBLA or they won't even be on there?

PS4 is in the same boat, i believe gamespot has an article on it . Downloadable games will need to be updated to work on the hardware of the next gen systems. Both Consoles have the same problem.

Look, I think you guys are being too harsh.

There's two options Microsoft have. They can literally put the hardware of the Xbox 360 into the Xbox One (Expensive and a time-waster) or they can ask ALL developers to completely recode their games into the new format.

Yes, it is that hard. I'd rather keep my previous generation console then being forced to put down an extra $100 for backwards compatibility.

I don't really think it's a viable option for Sony or Microsoft.

That kind of sucks, I understand the drives are different so playing old games on disc is an issue, but I wouldn't think it'd be too terribly hard to make it play your favorite old XBLA games. I'm disappointed to read this. Maybe some cool developers could make upgrades of their current games for a cheap upgrade fee? Is that at all a possibility?

The problem isn't that the drive can't read the discs, because it can. The problems show up because the One is using a whole new operating system that is a cross between the 360 and windows 8. That's why the games won't work.

The problem isn't that the drive can't read the discs, because it can. The problems show up because the One is using a whole new operating system that is a cross between the 360 and windows 8. That's why the games won't work.

It's not an OS issue. They've moved to a completely new system architecture.

There's another thread where I was saying that I would probably keep my 360 around. With more news of the compatability issues between the 360 and the One, I'm probably going to for sure keep my 360 now.

I'm really excited to see what things they can do with the One, but there's a lot more sacrifice in moving between consoles then last gen. I remember when the PS 3 said that they would be completely backwards compatible with the PS 2 and it didn't work out at all. The 360 really didn't have too much of a problem playing original Xbox content so we won that round.

I'm guessing that its going to be a rough transition for those of us who have a lot of content on the 360. I wish I could have a 32 Gig USB stick and use it to push content onto the One, but I'm guessing that wouldn't change the problem with the architecture being different and it not accepting the game.

Take a few steps forward, don't look back!

It would be great to be able to take my big XBLA and Retail library from Xbox 360 and play it on Xbox One anytime in the future if I wanted, but I have no problem breaking out my Xbox 360 and playing them on it if that's what I have to do. We bought these games for the Xbox 360, not for future consoles. There's most likely numerous reasons why they can't bring the games to the new console, so I completely understand why they are not doing it.

If xbl games sold on 360 that well and their was that much demand the feature would be their. I would think people have less than 150 dollars in xbl content. And most is free downloads.
If they had xbl reverse content on xb1 the games would also be compatible. Think of fable3 the summer sale games ect ect. It's a package deal...

Doesn't matter to me honestly

This is definitely unsurprising. In fact, I didn't expect XBLA games to work on the Xbox One at all. It's simple, really, the games where programmed for the 360, so they won't work on the Xbox One due to the change in architecture and software. It's why the Xbone has no backwards compatibility for 360 games... so yeah, not surprising. Hell, I would be surprised if they DID play on the Xbone.

It's definitely a bummer, but I'm not too surprised because of the change in architecture. With that being said, maybe they ought to put a lot of the classics from the 360 XBLA on the One and allow those who purchased them last gen to download them for free. Just a thought, but I doubt that would happen. It's not at all that I feel I should be entitled to play my current XBLA games on the One, I just think it would be good opportunity for Microsoft to earn some brownie points.

Back