Xbox One Valve Steam Controller the next big thing?

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
valve-steam-controller.jpg
Bidding goodbye to the thumbstick, Valve rolled out its steam controller that features two clickable trackpads in place of the traditional thumbstick. The controller that is part of the Valve’s living room PC-based game console initiative is similar to the standard game console controller.

Players can swipe through pages of actions in games where that’s appropriate. When programmed by game developers using our API, the touch screen can work as a scrolling menu, a radial dial, provide secondary info like a map or use other custom input modes we haven’t thought of yet. There are also haptic sensors all over the controller, which offer “super-precise” haptic feedback to players — they’re in both trackpads on the front, as well as in the shoulder buttons and around the rear grips. There sensors not only relay physical information to players, but also “play audio waveforms and function as speakers.”

I'm really curious to see how this controller works. I just can't imagine a controller without thumbsticks. I mean, I know it's possible (obviously), but I don't know that I'll like it. What do you guys think? Think this is going to be the perfect evolution of controllers or a big old flop? I'm on steam currently, so I'm sure that I'll be trying this out once it becomes available. Just not sure that I'll like it very much! I wonder if they will offer a traditional controller as well?

Via NVO News

I think for Steam's 'Big Picture Mode' it makes sense since it's PC controls. This will obviously never reach a console market though.

Not a big fan of the laptop touch pad mouse.. So if it's anything like that not excited...

That controller looks awesome. I hope I get a valve steam controller, because I honestly don't like joysticks. Although that controller looks like it will react more to your movements, which will make gaming a lot easier.

The strange thing is that everyone that tried it out liked it. I really ain't good with words, but maybe there is something i ain't getting from everyone's experience. Will those things really play that well?

Wow..looks great but as you said..cant imagine a pad without thumbsticks. I would be willing to give it a go though.

I think that controllers were probably going to go towards that technology before too long. Think about the responsiveness of your smart phone. Its the same idea that your lag time is 0 and that any other input variables essentially are extremely reduced. The problem I see is that the cost of replacement or additional controllers might be a little bit higher and I'm wondering how the third party market will fair in this.

I think this is a good idea though I will reserve judgment until I play a game with it. It does look sick. I am favorable to the idea of track pads instead of joysticks. Joysticks tend to erode and make unnecessary noise. I wonder how the public will take to this idea.

Eh, it doesn't look to good. The way you use it is pretty cool but... it looks ugly. The Steam Logo in the middle makes most of it look good, I wonder if this will be for their OYua console or for PC gaming.

Back