Who thinks Mario 2 was awful?

Super Mario Bros. 2 actually gave me the confidence to go back and try to beat Super Mario Bros. back in the day. I didn't succeed, but did succeed at Super Mario Bros. 3 and the handheld titles...I did eventually beat SMB on a day when I had nothing else to do.

Something about Mario 2 just stuck out to me. I really enjoyed it when I was little and I still hum/play the soundtrack to this day. I never quite beat it when I was younger, but it always left some good memories.

The soundtrack was memorable. I also liked the enemies in that game. Bar for shyguy most never popped back up in the future games.

It was an okay game and I never found myself hating it at all. Also when everyone here say's that it was not really a Mario game I think if I recall correctly it was actually being developed as a Mario game, was shelved and turned into another game and then finally brought back as Mario 2. Probably DYKG or someone similar that explained that.

Yeah DYKG said that the original Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels on the All-Stars) was considered to hard for western audiences at the time so they used another game.

The Lost Levels was pretty unforgiving. It would've been brutal for kids at that period in the 1980s you know. Hand-eye coordination is just being developed early on.

I only ever like the first Mario game, the rest did nothing for me. Mario 2 was really bad, quite a come down from anything else Mario.

well i never really hated any mario game and found every single one addicting growing up. i remember playing super mario 3 on my gameboy and i couldnt beat this level in world 4 and i threw my gameboy to the ground and it broke and i started to cry. ahh the memories.

Mario 2 suffered from not really being a Mario game. It was actually something else entirely, but they then decided to just... shove Mario characters on it for the Western released and pretend it's a Mario game. I didn't think it was that bad, but it sure was different.

SMB3 is still the best one of the NES Mario games.
It's because the real Mario 2 was considered too hard for the American market.

They were laughing at your gaming skills guys.

I think Mario 2 was a bit of an experiment that didn't go too well.
It did have some cool features that other games didn't have at the time like selecting different characters with different abilities.

Back