Xbox One Will Xbox One be able to connect to 802.1x?

MailFTW

Im a college student and right now the only way to get my xbox live to work is to bridge my xbox 360 through my mac. I'm wondering if based on what we know of the Xbox Ones internet browser, if it would have the capability to log in and connect through my schools 802.1x authenticating system. The reason why I can't on my xbox is because there's no place for me to input my username and password in order to connect. Would Xbox One be able to do this?

That's a good question, honestly i don't think we will know until it comes out. But if i had to guess i'd doubt it. MS hasn't address it as far as i can tell.

Im a college student and right now the only way to get my xbox live to work is to bridge my xbox 360 through my mac. I'm wondering if based on what we know of the Xbox Ones internet browser, if it would have the capability to log in and connect through my schools 802.1x authenticating system. The reason why I can't on my xbox is because there's no place for me to input my username and password in order to connect. Would Xbox One be able to do this?

I reached out to a couple of the big names on Twitter (like Marc Whitten and Major Nelson) but have not heard back. Xbox Support did supply me the following answer:

Which I know isn't much help. I'll let you know if anyone else answers me.

These kind of special network configs are generally hard to find in closed devices but we can hope for th best.

Thats what I was gonna say. I can see them not really going to be able to anser this becasue its a custom special network. But who knows

I'm curious about this as well. When the 360 had no wireless device inside of it, it was speculated to be mostly a money making model of selling hardware. What's more is that they sold hardware that could not run on a PC and you know that whole story. I'm ready for consoles to all come with wireless, that's not a difficult technology to include inside of your device!

Let me rephrase this to precoffee terms.

"Man, look, I'm just trying to deal with the Xboxes, and you want wireless... just toss an ethernet cable down the side of your house, into your basement window and connect it through that. Oh wait, here's an announcement, there will be wireless support...for single player offline play."

Seriously though, I'm frightened that they don't really have much to say about this yet.

Let me rephrase this to precoffee terms.

"Man, look, I'm just trying to deal with the Xboxes, and you want wireless... just toss an ethernet cable down the side of your house, into your basement window and connect it through that. Oh wait, here's an announcement, there will be wireless support...for single player offline play."

Seriously though, I'm frightened that they don't really have much to say about this yet.

We Know they have wifi. This is different.

It is. Honestly...I havent even heard of this wireless configuration. If it is brand new....why would anyone think it will be in it?

It's not brand new. This is the security you get when you use wifi at a hotel or college and it ask you to login via the browser. Currently on 360 it does not allow you to login.

Back