Xbox One Will Xbox One change the way consumers watch TV?

Gary Oldman

I came across this blog piece about the XBox One and it's goal to become a all in one entertainment machines for the living room.

However, there was an interesting quote I wanted to share:

But will the Xbox One really change the way consumers watch TV? Probably not. Cable companies are a roadblock that prevents devices such as an Xbox One, Apple TV, or Roku from taking over the television market. Cable providers will need to be sold on why they should use these new technologies rather than traditional set-top boxes to supply consumers with the signals they need to view TV. That said, these new devices are proliferating the content space and both the PS4 and Xbox provide multiple opportunities for advertisers and marketers.
Source
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-smith/will-xbox-one-change-the-_b_3971873.html

What I don't understand is people that already have a cable box and buy a Xbox One. Do they just start to use the One instead?

What do you guys think? Will Microsoft suceed where others have failed (so far)?

Well the XB1 still won't allow you to access your DVR and even the cable companies who provide Xbox apps, offer apps with limited potential, often not even including access to all your subscribed channels. As of right now you need a STB to use with the XB1 anyways since you're simply passing it through HDMI

Well the XB1 still won't allow you to access your DVR and even the cable companies who provide Xbox apps, offer apps with limited potential, often not even including access to all your subscribed channels. As of right now you need a STB to use with the XB1 anyways since you're simply passing it through HDMI

So that means that my TV is connected to be cable box which is then connected to the XB1?

I don't know if the Xbox One will change the way consumers watch TV, but it will change the way we play games. I think the Xbox One will revitalize the gaming world. I honestly think Xbox will surpass Playstation this year.

Well, it won't change the way I watch TV. Just having Netflix and live sports feeds are enough for me, so if they don't change those, then I won't change my habits.
I don't know if the Xbox One will change the way consumers watch TV, but it will change the way we play games. I think the Xbox One will revitalize the gaming world. I honestly think Xbox will surpass Playstation this year.

I think to be revitalized, an industry needs to have lost enthusiasm and life. Grand Theft Auto V pretty much singlehandedly proves that gaming is as popular as it's ever been.

The question is, how much do you want it to change? Does it really need that kind of changing? I am pretty okay with the way i watch TV already, why does it need changing?

I don't think it's going to be that revolting, you know. It's just a mere hype they are creating with this thing and shoving it up our throats.

Back