Xbox One Would the games be better if no previous versions to compare them too?

rkkeller

Old School casual player.
From
NJ
I see in a lot of comments here that people start basing their opinion on the new games, from
what they experienced before with the older versions or what the older version offered.

If no prior COD, NFS, Forza, etc... to say its more of the same, less tracks/cars or they should have done
this or that different, etc.....

If none of this, do you think some might rate the games a lot better?

I never played a lot of the older games, or if I did only a little, so these are all fresh and new to me.
Some I am like wow all these neat features and levels, etc..... then I see some say more of the
same and so on.

If you base an opinion of something only on that something not prior something, you might see
things are a lot better than you think.

I see in a lot of comments here that people start basing their opinion on the new games, from
what they experienced before with the older versions or what the older version offered.

If no prior COD, NFS, Forza, etc... to say its more of the same, less tracks/cars or they should have done
this or that different, etc.....

If none of this, do you think some might rate the games a lot better?

I never played a lot of the older games, or if I did only a little, so these are all fresh and new to me.
Some I am like wow all these neat features and levels, etc..... then I see some say more of the
same and so on.

If you base an opinion of something only on that something not prior something, you might see
things are a lot better than you think.

I get your point actually. A friend of mine pointed it out to me when he and I were talking about video games many months ago. He was saying how instead of trying to think about how the new game compares to the predecessors, why not just enjoy the game as a new entity? Like, yes, you're right, instead of thinking anything prior to the game, enjoy it as its own thing. Then you'll see that it's actually great (or bad) based on what you're thinking about NOW.

Sometimes, I'm beginning to do that now with games I play. I just think of my views on that certain game on what it is NOW rather than the prior things. There might be times I'll compare it to other games it's similar too but when I remove my thoughts on that, I finally enjoy the game more because it's its own thing. Yup, better than comparing the prior things.

It can depend really on the game itself. I agree with you mostly on the fact that if we didn't have any previous versions to compare games to, then we'd have a smashing good time with them, no question.

But there are some games that really, really need a version to compare them to. Well, the only games I can think of were back in the days of the PS2. I think one game was State of Emergency 2. Okay , getting off topic here but yeah, I guess that's the only time I'd compare a previous version too. All right, I'd agree: games would definitely be better if we didn't have to compare them to their previous versions. But it can really depend on the game.

I get your point actually. A friend of mine pointed it out to me when he and I were talking about video games many months ago. He was saying how instead of trying to think about how the new game compares to the predecessors, why not just enjoy the game as a new entity? Like, yes, you're right, instead of thinking anything prior to the game, enjoy it as its own thing. Then you'll see that it's actually great (or bad) based on what you're thinking about NOW.

Sometimes, I'm beginning to do that now with games I play. I just think of my views on that certain game on what it is NOW rather than the prior things. There might be times I'll compare it to other games it's similar too but when I remove my thoughts on that, I finally enjoy the game more because it's its own thing. Yup, better than comparing the prior things.

I must agree. Yes, it's good that we don't have to compare new games to their prior versions. It's nice to just play the game as its own thing. It gives you a better experience with the game itself. Plus, it just lets you play for hours and hours without worrying about a thing at all.

I guess it's normal to compare games to the previous versions or even other games similar to the game. This is because we want the best for ourselves. It's not bad to compare on these things at all. Honestly, if you buy something, you have to compare it first to see if it is better than the rest.

Yeah it depends on the game. A lot of games depend on their predecessors glory for sales, like COD, Forza and NFS. If there weren't any predecessors for these then they probably wouldn't be many sales, and someone else would take their place.

It depends on the game. Sometimes, you need the previous versions to know where the new game has come to. There are also times that you got to compare the games to the previous versions, especially when they're not made by the original developers (think: Batman: Arkham Origins). Depends on the game.

I agree with some of the other users here. Depending on the game, you'll need the prior. It's 'cuz sometimes, the new game was based on the prior version. Also, you need to know if the new game had evolved. But then yeah, sometimes, I just play the game as it is.

It really depends on the game itself. Is the game play good? How is the story line? Good graphics? Does it include multiplayer? Many aspects are needed for a great game and games like COD achieved it no doubt.

I do agree to a point. But, it is also nice seeing progression from one version to another. I'd expect an XB1 Halo to be MUCH better than one on the original XB or 360.

J

You'll need to compare it to a degree (more than "to a degree" actually). You either see how it compares to its contemporaries in its genre or you compare it other games in its franchise/similar games from the same company. I will say that you can put on the "it's new to me" glasses and draw conclusions on the game based on that particular experience--as in the experience as a whole and not breaking the game down into categories.

...but that would be like saying "This pizza is the best pizza I've eaten today," when it's the only pizza you've eaten today.

...but that would be like saying "This pizza is the best pizza I've eaten today," when it's the only pizza you've eaten today.

Pretty much. I feel if you're not reviewing a game, movie, album and just giving your overall impression it then you don't really to compare it to anything. But then it's like the impressions lack weigh. "I enjoyed this game, the story was good, gameplay was tight, etc." The meat comes in from comparing and when can make a "good story" either great or lacking and "tight gameplay" much better than the game before it or just plain bad.

I think it's normal to compare games in the same series because you're looking for some type of progression. You want to see if the graphics have improved, or the quality of story telling, and if they've improved gameplay. But I agree that it's also important to look at a game on it's own merits even if it's not as good as it's predecessor as long as you enjoyed it in the end that's what counts.

Obviously. Most games would be in the good to tremendous range if you compare them to nothing else. It kills any actual input on a game though when you just say "I liked it. It was good. I liked this and that."

MetalSwift's pizza example is spot on with not comparing games to others.

Yeah, game quality spikes when you have nothing to compare them to in that genre or franchise.

Well there are also many examples where sequels in a game franchise were the biggest successes. Grand Theft Auto 2 for example. Or, for an old school example, Street Fighter 2.

In some cases...but then again sometimes having previous experience actually makes it a *better* experience overall. Or at least spark initial interest that might not have been so strong otherwise.

Well there are also many examples where sequels in a game franchise were the biggest successes. Grand Theft Auto 2 for example. Or, for an old school example, Street Fighter 2.

I'd say GTA 2 is an old school example as well lol. But yeah, the game could be more successful than the previous entry, but when comparing titles you're usually looking at gameplay, fun, and for many in this and the last generation: graphics. A game can move an assload of units and still be pretty dry compared to its successor or predecessor while those games might not be received as well and turn up as falling short.

It's incredibly difficult to seperate yourself from a previous game in the series but I do agree with the previous poster in this point: a lot of games that really shouldn't be successful are because of the reputation garnered by others in the series. I'd like to think that I'm capable of judging a game on it's own merits and not against it's predecessors but I'd have to admit that at times nostalgia does get the better of me.

I used to think that I could decide if a game was good on it's own legs and leave it at that, but I'll usually say "This was a good game, I enjoyed...compared to Bonekillsaw II: Deathgasm of Doom it falls a little short though." In a universe where it's the only game it will be great, but that's not saying much.

Back