Xbox One Xbox One is “more than 10-year journey”

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Well looks like we're in this for the long run. Hope you don't have a short attention span.

During his Eurogamer Expo speech, Microsoft’s Corporate Vice President Phil Harrison said that Xbox One is “more than 10-year journey,” pledging that through a number of new features, including the cloud, Microsoft is aiming to support the console for longer than any console before it. He believes that a focus on social aspects and building a community of gamers on the system, as well as the power of the cloud, will allow Xbox One to have a lifespan well beyond what is considered normal for a console.

He also pointed to how the games industry has grown over the last few decades, and how this will help Microsoft to support and advance Xbox One over the course of its lifespan. He mentioned GTAV, now the fastest selling game in any entertainment medium, and how the video game industry can only go from strength-to-strength as it continues to infiltrate the mainstream.

How do you guys feel about this? I always figured this would be the last console generation before we boldly go all digital. I think this report basically confirms my beliefs. It's interesting to think back 8 years to what the 360 started out as and what we all have today. You would assume it was a different generation than the stock 360. I am confident in what Microsoft can do and am excited to see how these next 10 years go.

Source: VG 24/7

It has to be a 10 year journey. I believe that it will be able to do well later down the line as well because of the cloud technology attached to it.

Here's my thoughts on this:

I'm all for a 10 year console lifespan. However, what happens when/if the competition (Sony mainly) releases their next console (PS5) 7 years from now? Will MS decide to make the Xbox Two a few years early?

Or perhaps the Cloud really will augment the power of the Xbox One in a great enough way that the Xbox One console will stay hardware relevant for the whole 10 years?

Other than Microsoft who's obviously got a technology timeline figured out for the Xbox One (including Cloud and Kinect, etc), we really won't have a good idea on the possibility of Xbox One power growing over time until a good 4 or 5 years after it's release.

Here's my thoughts on this:

I'm all for a 10 year console lifespan. However, what happens when/if the competition (Sony mainly) releases their next console (PS5) 7 years from now? Will MS decide to make the Xbox Two a few years early?

Or perhaps the Cloud really will augment the power of the Xbox One in a great enough way that the Xbox One console will stay hardware relevant for the whole 10 years?

Other than Microsoft who's obviously got a technology timeline figured out for the Xbox One (including Cloud and Kinect, etc), we really won't have a good idea on the possibility of Xbox One power growing over time until a good 4 or 5 years after it's release.

I don't see either company launching 2 years ahead of the competition to be honest. I think thy are well aware of each others game plan when it comes to likely lifespans. With that said I don't see either company launching a console. I think the future for both companies is digital software and not hardware. They will both move on to be a service rather than a device. Just the other day Shuhei Yoshida confirmed as much. I'll include an article below.

PlayStation's Future is as a Service, Not Hardware

Seeing how much more expensive it is with each passing generation in regards to the R&D and manufacturing of a new console and video game budgets. It's natural that Microsoft and Sony will want the next gen consoles to last as long as possible. It's hard for me to imagine how much further they can go with video game technology. Doesn't it become exponentially harder to innovate when technology becomes more advanced with each generation?

I'm actually encouraged by this information. They are saying that they are producing quality products and will continue to release relevant games along with it. It will be nice not to have to purchase a new console for a while.

I doubt that it will really go ten strong full years. I anticipate that virtual reality technology will be available within the next 5 years. I envision us all wearing lightweight vr helmets before 2018. Or everything could go digital. Or it could be a combination of both virtual reality and digital gaming. I have a feeling that they set such an aggressive, elongated estimate for the console's life because it will help sales not only in the short and mid term but the long term.

I don't see either company launching 2 years ahead of the competition to be honest. I think thy are well aware of each others game plan when it comes to likely lifespans. With that said I don't see either company launching a console. I think the future for both companies is digital software and not hardware. They will both move on to be a service rather than a device. Just the other day Shuhei Yoshida confirmed as much. I'll include an article below.

PlayStation's Future is as a Service, Not Hardware

I agree with the 'software not hardware' statement. I think what I was trying to say originally is that eventually the hardware in the consoles will become obsolete in the gaming world. 10 years is a long time for a single piece of gaming hardware to stay relevant and capable. This is where I'm finding the emphasis on Cloud technology needing to really work well in offloading game processing to extend the life of the console hardware. I have a good feeling that the Cloud for Microsoft will turn a lot of heads once they get to show it off. Especially looking ahead a few years, where online services becomes the norm in many industries, putting MS ahead of the curve.

I doubt that it will really go ten strong full years. I anticipate that virtual reality technology will be available within the next 5 years. I envision us all wearing lightweight vr helmets before 2018. Or everything could go digital. Or it could be a combination of both virtual reality and digital gaming. I have a feeling that they set such an aggressive, elongated estimate for the console's life because it will help sales not only in the short and mid term but the long term.

I'm going to disagree with the idea of virtual reality headsets becoming the norm. I don't see society/game community fully accepting wearable headsets that complete block out our environment. I know for fact that I cannot game with something like that having a kid of my own and a pet. I don't see myself sitting down for 2 or 3 hours wearing a headset while completely ignoring the outside world (i.e. kid, dog, wife, stuff going on in my house, etc).

Virtual Reality headsets have been around for a long time. I remember using them for the first time back in the early 90's, playing both a hang-glider game and a multiplayer shooting game in a virtual world. Even if the advances in technology allow the experience to be one of the best ever, the fact that you are wearing a headset that blocks out your surroundings is something that I just don't see being adopted by enough people to make a real dent in the game industry.

I agree with the 'software not hardware' statement. I think what I was trying to say originally is that eventually the hardware in the consoles will become obsolete in the gaming world. 10 years is a long time for a single piece of gaming hardware to stay relevant and capable. This is where I'm finding the emphasis on Cloud technology needing to really work well in offloading game processing to extend the life of the console hardware. I have a good feeling that the Cloud for Microsoft will turn a lot of heads once they get to show it off. Especially looking ahead a few years, where online services becomes the norm in many industries, putting MS ahead of the curve.

I'm going to disagree with the idea of virtual reality headsets becoming the norm. I don't see society/game community fully accepting wearable headsets that complete block out our environment. I know for fact that I cannot game with something like that having a kid of my own and a pet. I don't see myself sitting down for 2 or 3 hours wearing a headset while completely ignoring the outside world (i.e. kid, dog, wife, stuff going on in my house, etc).

Virtual Reality headsets have been around for a long time. I remember using them for the first time back in the early 90's, playing both a hang-glider game and a multiplayer shooting game in a virtual world. Even if the advances in technology allow the experience to be one of the best ever, the fact that you are wearing a headset that blocks out your surroundings is something that I just don't see being adopted by enough people to make a real dent in the game industry.

Well, what if you were to wear special glasses or goggles instead of a headset? That could be the future of virtual reality gaming. It would certainly make it easier to take them on and off in order to tend to your real world environment's concerns such as the dog and the wife.

The problem with virtual reality headsets is that it would eliminate the need for a HDTV for a good gaming experience. The Oculus Rift is still developing but I don't see big corporations allowing something like that too take off.

I always thought that it was called the Xbox One because it would only last one year.

Jokes aside, 10 years on the market is a bold claim, will they manage to do it?

we could always get a xbox one 1.5 the xbox 360's on the shelf now are not the same as the ones at launch. the generals are the same but the ecu/processor are upgraded. didnt they put a new chip in about 3 years ago. they have seadily upgraded hd space along with cloud storage.

i know i had a used earlier 360 about 5 years ago. i had issue after issue with them. gamestop allowed me to upgrade to a new 360 with the money i had spent on used units. i got the newest one they had at the moment with the biggest hd (200g was optional or only came with a bundle)

who is to say that in 5/6 years their is not a bump in ram or a chip/ecu upgrade like happned now. i wouldn't put it past them. double dipping. if they drop the price in a year or 2 and do a relaunch or upgrade a few years after that they could potentially get people to buy an xbox one again and get the origional units in the used market.

The problem with virtual reality headsets is that it would eliminate the need for a HDTV for a good gaming experience. The Oculus Rift is still developing but I don't see big corporations allowing something like that too take off.

But Nintendo and Microsoft aren't in the television business. Granted, Sony is in the television business so they have a conflict of interest with virtual reality gaming and television interests. I don't anticipate the elimination of hd tv's to be the reason why virtual reality never taking off. If anything, it would be because it is incredibly expensive to master the technology or because it causes vision problems with the user. Just look at all the eye issues that people suffered after using virtual boy for extended periods of time.

I think modern gaming is at an interesting crossroads heading into the next generation. Valve pushing themselves into the living room is going to cause a huge ruckus. In 6-8 years, we may see a gravitational shift in demographics as console gamers adapt to disc-less gaming and digital sharing options. Where will Microsoft be when Steam undersells their gaming library and people want to stop shelling out money for subscription services? This is completely speculative, so take it with a grain of salt. However if things progress how I predict they will, Microsoft will have to adapt from their current course of action so that they are not left behind. A ten year plan might not fit realistically with how the world of gaming will change in the coming years.

Its become kind of hard to calculate of a piece of hardware's life expectancy because of the virtualization technologies that are coming into play. Even where I work, we buy 3 servers to run 14 different modules. Its similar when you think of how developers progress through their games. They get better at making the hardware bend to what they need and then they figure out ways to virtualize something to take less system resources or to run independent of other systems. With the Xbox One and PS 4 both companies have to make a long term investment. Especially if you're paying so much for it!

But Nintendo and Microsoft aren't in the television business. Granted, Sony is in the television business so they have a conflict of interest with virtual reality gaming and television interests. I don't anticipate the elimination of hd tv's to be the reason why virtual reality never taking off. If anything, it would be because it is incredibly expensive to master the technology or because it causes vision problems with the user. Just look at all the eye issues that people suffered after using virtual boy for extended periods of time.

I think the other problem is the VR works only/best with First-Person games and that would still leave plenty of genres to be played via TV

Back