Xbox One Xbox One Kinect Extension / Connection

ahamill

Does anyone know if there will be any solutions for individuals who don't keep their entertainment center devices stored directly underneath their TV? I currently store all of my devices in a closet about 20 ft away. I'm surprised I haven't been able to find more people with this same issue or an answer to this question. Does anyone know what type of connection Kinect 2.0 will use? In pictures of the back of the console the connection looks proprietary. I've also heard it is going to use USB 3.0 tech, which I'm hoping means there will be 3rd party extensions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

What we know

We know Kinect has a proprietary plug on the X1 side. Not sure if the other end of that plug fits into a USB slot. Since they also sell this for PC it would make sense for a USB input on the Kinect side.

If there is not an extension available that actually puts a pretty big damper on my setup as well. I could actually reach my location with 10 feet of cord, but in order to hide the cable through my conduits and not have it strung straight to the TV I need an extension.

I hope you're right about the USB on the Kinect side. I think the only possibility in which Microsoft or 3rd parties wouldn't make an extension would be if the new Kinect requires some sort of throughput data amount that adding an extension would then break. Although, I don't see this actually happening, I just would really like to know either way, so that I don't waste $500 on an Xbox and then proceed to never use what would probably be considered it's biggest feature/accessory.

never thought bout placemnet issues... my console will be under my tv but within a few feet of reach i guess
i dont think it would be a waste.. tho.

Hi all,

This is definitely a big issue for me. My XBOX and PS3 are in a closet and the TV is in the livingroom. Currently I use a USB 2.0 over Ethernet extender for the Kinect and that works great... So I need to find a new solution...

If anyone has more info, let me know please.

This cable thing is really a problem, but for me i always have too much cable for some stuff and then lacking cable on others. Seriously, i have 2 meters of cable for the sensor bar on the wii, and then the kinect, and the HDMi cable from the screen is also too long for my setup, and then i have a jungle of cables behind my table just gathering dust.

I really want to know the answer to this myself. The three displays in my house all have the equipment in another room. For the 360 kinect i use 40' active usb2 extension cables that work perfectly and are cheap. If there is no way to extend the usb3 on the kinect2 I will would have to put the One near the display and run HDMI baluns/cat6 to the equipment, actually two sets because i will probably want to run my TIVOs in to the HDMI-in on the One if it is worthwhile. I'd dont want to spend $160 per One for baluns so will probably just cancel 2 preorders and stick with a single One...

Like stormsblade said, this is a question i would really like the answer to as well. My home entertainment center is already pretty crowded, as I have a few systems plugged up as well as the HDMI. I'm hoping the cable won't be anything too short, or else i may have to end up spending even more money in order to just use the system. Thanks for posing this question.

I too would very much like an extension cable option. Am currently renovating my house and am making the effort to install cables in the walls and would love to have a solution prewired so I can have my gaming consoles in one corner away from the wall mounted TV. I am surprised that Microsoft have not provided a product for this.

It looks like the Kinect itself does not have a standard USB 3.0 port

If looks like the back of the XBOX One Kinect does not have a standard USB 3.0 port but rather something proprietary (with a very thick cable!). Check out this picture:
Xbox_One_Kinect.jpg

You can also see the cable in the video of Major Nelson unboxing the XBOX retail kit, so I think this is final.

Hence I don't think a standard USB 3.0 extension cable is going to do the trick without some sort of adapter. Does anyone know the protocol is actually USB 3.0? If so, perhaps some adapter could be built.

This is seems like a pretty big deal as there are plenty of people where the XBOX isn't physically that close to the TV. Has anyone heard of any proposed solutions or any word on this?

-Mike

This is seems like a pretty big deal as there are plenty of people where the XBOX isn't physically that close to the TV.

This is exactly my issue. I currently keep all of my devices in a closet about 30 ft from the TV, so I really hope they address this problem sooner rather than later. I'm not sure if it would deter me from purchasing the new console, but knowing that I won't be able to use the Kinect would be pretty disappointing.

- Anthony

Back