Xbox 360 Xbox One not backwards compatible?

mevsthor

The Xbox One comes out in 2 days, if you plan on purchasing it will you be keeping your 360? I just read an article that said that the Xbox One will not be backwards compatible, which seems a little odd. It doesn't really make sense as to why they would not make it backwards compatible. I know that Microsoft got hounded at first for all the features that were not going to be included in the Xbox One but it was my understanding that they were taking care of that. Why would they still leave out backwards compatibility?

Backwards compatibility costs a lot of money, so it's no surprise none of the new consoles are featuring it. It's a shame, but maybe someday in the future we can see that.

I'll say it again, having backwards compatibility would be a killer selling point for either the PS4 or the XB1. I understand that moving to newer architectures means you won't be able to run the previous games unless they're ported, and that emulating it would require considerable amounts of processing power, but something like the Virtual Console for the Wii would be a welcome sight to see. I wouldn't mind playing Halo 2 or some of the older GTAs again on the XB1.

Even if it's just a few classic (original) Xbox games, it would be more than worth it as a selling point.

Back