Xbox One Xbox Original Programming to Possibly Launch During the First Quarter of 2014

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
Xbox original programming will be here as early as the first quarter of 2014! I think this is great news, as other companies such as Netflix have garnered quite a following with their original programming - Orange is the New Black, Hemlock Grove, House of Cards anyone?? Especially with Spielberg on board, I'm really excited to see what Xbox comes out with. Spielberg is kind of a legend and could (probably would) make an amazing series!

Tellem gave no indication of any change with regards to Microsoft’s partnership with Steven Spielberg to produce and direct a Halo-centric “interactive” live-action series. We also didn’t receive details about what exactly “interactive” means here. For example, would it mean something as simple as being able to select your own convenient time to watch? Or would it entail something more impressive like a Choose Your Own Adventure-style format in which users can make choices for characters, affecting the outcome of the story?

In any case, it is confirmed that original programming will be aimed at both Xbox One and Xbox 360 users through Xbox Live. The initiative follows in the footsteps of companies like Netflix and Amazon, both of which are still new to the original programming era but still well ahead of Microsoft. Xbox programming was originally estimated to launch by the end of this year. Now the earliest we can expect it is Q1 2014, or “at minimum second quarter,” Tellem said.

Anyone else extremely excited to see what kind of original programming Xbox comes out with? What are you guys hoping for? Honestly? I love a good drama. Or perhaps a thriller, although those can be tricky to make a series out of...

Source: SlashGear

I'm excited to see what comes of this. Netflix original programming has been edgy and entertaining. I wonder what Xbox has up its sleeves. I like original content and it just keeps fans coming back for that subscription so they can get more of their favorite shows.

I am not willing to write this off as of yet. I'd like to see what other kind of programming their going to have but I'm willing to be open-minded by this. I'm not expecting Game of Thrones or Sons of Anarchy from Microsoft but I will be expecting some kind of quality. I'll be interested in seeing what happens with the Halo TV show, but it'll be the programming after that that shows us what the shows will be like.

Of course we should all expect a fair share of quality churned out of Spielberg when we hear such a prominent name uttered, and I am certain Microsoft knows what kind of pressure comes with releasing a rumor like this as far as creating the programming goes. Their media has evolved to a point where, really, I would say there are no excuses for something sub-par, so I do not naturally expect it. I expect them to showcase and make great use of the capabilities they injected into their new console; Microsoft should show us why the Xbox One should be anything more than just a game console.

Oh yeah, I heard about this during the reveal of the console back then. I think Spielberg was asked to do some kind of Halo film or TV show. This will probably finally show Xbox has its own brand of programming that can transcend the boundaries of gaming and TV shows and movies.

Oh yeah, I heard about this during the reveal of the console back then. I think Spielberg was asked to do some kind of Halo film or TV show. This will probably finally show Xbox has its own brand of programming that can transcend the boundaries of gaming and TV shows and movies.

But it's ironic that Spielberg disses video games, saying they can NEVER have stories and characters we can care about. I was like, "WHAT?!" Where did he get THAT idea? I cared about Clementine in The Walking Dead. I cared about characters in Final Fantasy X. I even cared about those who died in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. And they're going to hire HIM to make a Halo movie or show? I'm hoping they have other people who can make them programming 'cuz if it's just Spielberg, I'm passing on this one. After what he said about video games, I'm not sure if I'll want to watch his new show.

I'm guessing that there will be other people working on storylines while Spielberg handles production stuff primarily.

But it's ironic that Spielberg disses video games, saying they can NEVER have stories and characters we can care about. I was like, "WHAT?!" Where did he get THAT idea? I cared about Clementine in The Walking Dead. I cared about characters in Final Fantasy X. I even cared about those who died in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. And they're going to hire HIM to make a Halo movie or show? I'm hoping they have other people who can make them programming 'cuz if it's just Spielberg, I'm passing on this one. After what he said about video games, I'm not sure if I'll want to watch his new show.

Don't count out George Lucas either. Lucas agrees with that mindset of dissing video games. Anyway, I hope other people will be hired to do original programming. But I am excited what programming can they do. Will they do those "A Day in the Life" stuff? Will they do Xbox-related stuff? Or will they pull off a Lilyhammer? We'll have to see.

Xbox Original Programming eh? It'll be interesting to see what they got in store for all of us. I'd like to see some TV shows based on their exclusives like Titanfall. I'd also like to see movies about their forgotten games like, say, Jet Set Radio Future Oooh, I'd love to see a cool TV about that. Yes, cool retro-ish awesomeness!

I wonder how the Halo show is coming along. If MSFT can pull off shows in the same way Netflix does, then this can be a brilliant move.

I wonder how the Halo show is coming along. If MSFT can pull off shows in the same way Netflix does, then this can be a brilliant move.

Well, I'm passing on this one but if it turns out to be good, maybe it might give me a different view on Spielberg. And if it does give Microsoft that "Netflix effect", well, then maybe. Till then. I'm still not liking Spielberg for dissing on video games.

Looking forward to this one. It's becoming a trend isn't it? "The Netflix effect", where the TV/movie companies streaming stuff are now making their own exclusive content, like Hulu with Wrong Mans. Now we're seeing Xbox doing it. Lovin;' it!

Producing their own shows and running them through their own platforms works since they don't have to go through the bigger studios and have to hype it as a CSI-grade guaranteed ratings machine--which is another thing: they don't have to worry about ratings either. You don't want to put up a show that you think is great and ends up being the next Firefly/Serenity/Reaper because it couldn't hack it in ratings.

...well Reaper was more of a casualty of the writer's strike. I miss all three. Firefly/Serenity/Dark Angel would've thrived during the 90s Universal Studios Action Pack-era on CW/WB and current CW.

Well, I'm passing on this one but if it turns out to be good, maybe it might give me a different view on Spielberg. And if it does give Microsoft that "Netflix effect", well, then maybe. Till then. I'm still not liking Spielberg for dissing on video games.

I don't think it'll give me a different view even if Spielberg does deliver with a good show. It's like having a tremendous chef who says "I hate weddings, birthdays are pointless, and kids are snotty nosed and deserve porridge only," but they churn out awesome wedding cakes and birthday cakes because that's just what they do. You don't have to like it or respect it to do a good job on it, even though people are more likely to become invested in it if they see that the artist behind it (musician, cartoonist, director, etc) have a passion for the project.

If MS can even come close to the quality of some of the Netflix original programming shows, then they will have a system selling coup on their hands. Fits perfectly with their mantra of not wanting to just be the best video game console, but also the center of your living room/man cave. Isn't the first show for 2014 supposed to be a documentary about the thousands of copies of buried old ET games from back in the day? I will definitely be checking that out.

Producing their own shows and running them through their own platforms works since they don't have to go through the bigger studios and have to hype it as a CSI-grade guaranteed ratings machine--which is another thing: they don't have to worry about ratings either. You don't want to put up a show that you think is great and ends up being the next Firefly/Serenity/Reaper because it couldn't hack it in ratings.

...well Reaper was more of a casualty of the writer's strike. I miss all three. Firefly/Serenity/Dark Angel would've thrived during the 90s Universal Studios Action Pack-era on CW/WB and current CW.

I heard about these. Yeah... bigger studios always want that next big thing but then when they think they got it, they can it. But then, it turns out it has a cult following. Yeah, you make a point. Now THEY command what content can go. That's why Netflix gives us stuff like House of Cards, the new season of Arrested Development (honestly did not see this coming) and Lilyhammer. So Xbox can give us something like those next year. Now it begins with the Atari E.T.

If MS can even come close to the quality of some of the Netflix original programming shows, then they will have a system selling coup on their hands. Fits perfectly with their mantra of not wanting to just be the best video game console, but also the center of your living room/man cave. Isn't the first show for 2014 supposed to be a documentary about the thousands of copies of buried old ET games from back in the day? I will definitely be checking that out.

Yeah, I agree. So they're trying to be the Netflix in gaming basically. And yes, the first content will be the documentary about the old ET games. That one already gives us the hint at what Xbox is going to do with their original programming plans. Stoked about it already.

Back