Xbox One Xbox Users banned after swearing online

Is this really censorship? Is this really a bad thing? If these measures bring down the amount of immature conduct coming from all of the 12 year old COD players than maybe it's for the greater good. It's obvious that the Xbox community could use some maturity, especially in the more mainstream games, and if watching my cursing helps bring that change around than I say go for it!

Why would you expect 12 year olds to be mature? That doesn't make any sense.

How many of you realize this is just for Upload Studio? This system is family oriented, when you upload a clip from Studio it goes into the marketplace so when users check out games they can see user clips, imagine your little kid checking out a game and all of sudden you hear "**** that ****, he's a little faggot *****!" from somebody, you can easily mute a lobby before he plays but you can't control upload studio recordings

How many of you realize this is just for Upload Studio? This system is family oriented, when you upload a clip from Studio it goes into the marketplace so when users check out games they can see user clips, imagine your little kid checking out a game and all of sudden you hear "**** that ****, he's a little faggot *****!" from somebody, you can easily mute a lobby before he plays but you can't control upload studio recordings

Now that's a good post. I didn't know that there was that option in this console. Either way, thanks for posting this on here.

Whoa//// really? I'd better be careful with what I say on Skype and uploading then. Not that I've never sweared in life but still, there can be times I'll utter a word. I'm not sure what Microsoft means by "swearing" in their terms; maybe it's swearing to the point that all you can say is the bad word or maybe just one utter of the word is already gonna get you banned. Microsoft has to be clear about this 'cuz there can be a time we'll utter a profane word.

In a way, I think Microsoft is just trying to make sure all XB1 players are fair and respectful. After all, aren't we all tired of hearing the Fs, the Ss, the N and all the other profane words going all around everytime we play and watch? Then again, it's Microsoft's idea and policy so we'll just see how it goes from here.

I know a few people who have a tendency to uhm, slur words that even my mom would find disrespectful. I'll be extra careful then when I do have this console, and when I'm speaking on Skype or uploading. But yeah, like what thedoodseven says, what exactly is considered swearing? Is it just uttering one word? Or is it saying the bad words continously? They have to be clear about this.

Holy seriously? To me, swearing in games is COMPLETELY normal because it is a form of letting out anger. I agree that if someone just swears for "fun" then we should punish them but not BAN!

Honestly, Xbox should allow people to be able to see swear words or not see them because as I have said before, swearing is completely normal in games.

I know right? Swearing, as health reports say, is good for you. Not exactly abusing to the max but letting out stress in a form of swearing is not bad at all. Maybe they're not clear about this. What if I suddenly uttered the F-word when someone stomped my foot while I play. Is that gonna get me banned? If it does, then I'd be pissed. VERY PISSED. Microsoft's got to be clear if uttering a single word or lots of them will get you banned. Seriously, I get banned for just saying a bad word by accident, that's going to piss me off big time.

I know right? Swearing, as health reports say, is good for you. Not exactly abusing to the max but letting out stress in a form of swearing is not bad at all. Maybe they're not clear about this. What if I suddenly uttered the F-word when someone stomped my foot while I play. Is that gonna get me banned? If it does, then I'd be pissed. VERY PISSED. Microsoft's got to be clear if uttering a single word or lots of them will get you banned. Seriously, I get banned for just saying a bad word by accident, that's going to piss me off big time.

Microsoft's gotta be clear about this, as I said. It seems vague because you can't really measure how much people can swear. What if the person has the tendency and he or she can't manage it well? They're going to ban that person too? They'll have to be clear about this. Pretty sure some of my friends won't like this.

Like I said, this isn't for Skype or in game chat audio. This is strictly for Upload Studio videos which you can do voice overs on. Those videos go into the XBOX marketplace for when you view games. People are making this a bigger deal than it is.

freedom of speech!

Guys, watch out with the words you're using or you're banned.

It's been reported that Microsoft has been banning Xbox One users for swearing online. If you get banned, some features of Xbox Live will be disabled. This has been seen in game uploads and Skype.

It doesnt matter if its a private or public site. You are gaunteed yoir rights.... you can sign a contract that is illegal but its still illegal even if you agrea to it.... you can curse anywere you want when ever you want. They will try and tell you you cant or you can be arrested but thats galse and the courts have upheld that. This is a clear violation of freedom of speech! They need to be sued.... also this is happening during skyp calls. Which is between 2 people in a private conversation. ..

Looks like strictness is already being enforced, even in what you say. First, we had Twitch banning PS4 users because of the many crazy activities that's being done in streams, and now, Microsoft is banning XB1 users for profanity. My thoughts? Well, we'll have to be careful what we say. I know I hear some F-words being said when you play online and stuff but with Microsoft closely monitoring our activities, it's not going be safe when you're talking.

I believe a distinction needs to be made clear between swearing and cursing. Cursing should be not tolerated, however swearing in general is a part of people's everyday language. Of course, it's not usually appealing, but gamers need to express themselves! I think this is going a bit too far.

This is why you should always check out something your kid wants to watch before you let him watch it. You can't blame an adult for being an adult and exercising his right to free speech just because another adult failed to monitor what their kids were watching before letting them watch it.

It’s not going to be a problem for me in general since I find having most voice chats on annoying in the first place. I would just mute them since it can heavily distract from gameplay. I can just scream and sublimate whatever passive-aggressiveness I have without doing it through a headset.

Rarely would I need to have it on since I’m not as hardcore into clans or anything these days. I wonder if they would look for people who have usernames that are trying to bypass the curse word or derogatory filters though. Imagine a game of Call of Duty where someone actually doesn’t go ballistic on you. It’s almost too scary to even imagine people being calm and collected with explosions and people hauling others left and right.

I believe a distinction needs to be made clear between swearing and cursing. Cursing should be not tolerated, however swearing in general is a part of people's everyday language. Of course, it's not usually appealing, but gamers need to express themselves! I think this is going a bit too far.

Exactly. Microsoft has to be clear. Yes, there's the "excessive swearing" part but even that doesn't explain what exactly it is. We have to know exactly what they mean. There may be a time we might go profane only for something by accident. Even I'd go F**** if somebody stomped my foot or if I got burned by something. Microsoft has to explain what it means to excessively swear and curse.

This is America right? last time i checked we could say what ever the hell we want, we do have freedom of speech.

Last edited:
I know swearing is not a good thing for people to do online, but banning seems to take it a little too far.

As long as it's just for Upload Studio, I don't get why it's a big deal. Banning might be taking things a bit too far but the thing is geared towards families so maybe MS is getting all squeamish about things.

I think its a good thing personally, i'm sick of hearing these kids swear like a sailor over the tinniest little error. No CoD game will be the same! But this brings up another point, why is a game like CoD, where the characters are constantly swearing up a storm, allowed to do so, when actual players can not? Doesn't make much sense does it?

Frankly, none of this would be much of an issue if children and their parents actually adhered to the ratings on games like CoD, where it clearly states there will be profanity and other adult-oriented auditory and, sometimes, visual paraphernalia. The main reason it has come to this point is that too many immature adolescent and prepubescent children have taken these communities by storm, and yes, just like on any other forum or community on the internet, Microsoft is allowed to take things into their own hands and -moderate- their network.

You can't bring up the issue of amendments when millions of users who are not supposed to be indulging in games and communities meant for adults are doing just that, that just completely side-steps and perpetuates the root of the problem and opens up a future where Microsoft can moderate more than just your language in certain areas of the network. If you want someone to blame, don't blame Microsoft, blame those fools who blatantly disregard all warnings and bring their childish immaturity to the community unopposed, and if you really care, do something about it when you see it happening. There is still time to turn this around.

Back