Xbox One Yearly releases

Livvy

We all know them. Madden. NFL. FIFA. Racing games. A hell of a lot of sports games. And then there's the different series like CoD and such. Every year, a new game.

So the question is, if they're so bad and never update anything, why do people keep buying them? Do you buy them? If so, why? Or do you skip a year or two?

Also;do you mind yearly releases if they're actually adding to what is a story based game series, such as let's say, Assassin's Creed or similar games which are plot based rather than just releasing a new game for the profit?

I do find it annoying to be honest.
I never feel the games are as good as last years when they are released.
However, money is money to them and they know people like me will always buy it xD

Games with yearly releases are obviously trying to cash in on quantity, sacrificing quality. I don't know about the sports games (they seem to just be yearly $60 updates), but at least ones like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed are developed by more than one studio, so the development time is longer than a year, though that time doesn't seem to be well spent in some cases (like CoD!)

I think we should blame Mario and Zelda. Those are two franchises that come to mind as guilty for developing the yearly, well, maybe not yearly but pretty often release model.
As long as each new release has a new setting and introduces new gameplay mechanics, like Assassin's Creed for example, I'm perfectly fine. But they risk becoming stale, like COD imo.

I think we should blame Mario and Zelda. Those are two franchises that come to mind as guilty for developing the yearly, well, maybe not yearly but pretty often release model.

I have to disagree on that, heavily. Mario only kinda works if you count the entire franchise, including all spin offs, but if you take each subseries by itself then it's obviously not the case. There's always a fair amount of time between new Mario Karts and there were big gaps between each New Super Mario Bros, too, not to mention that it took a while between Sunshine and Galaxy and then between Galaxy 2 and 3D Land, then another good amount of time between 3D Land and 3D World. Not to mention most of those were released on different systems.

Zelda is similar, in that it takes a lot of time inbetween main games (the last one was Skyward Sword and there's not even a date for the next Zelda) but there's a lot of side stuff or filler inbetween those main games (like OoT 3D or Wind Waker HD, for example).

It's not quite comparable to the yearly releases of either sports games or games like Assassin's Creed.

I have to disagree on that, heavily. Mario only kinda works if you count the entire franchise, including all spin offs, but if you take each subseries by itself then it's obviously not the case. There's always a fair amount of time between new Mario Karts and there were big gaps between each New Super Mario Bros, too, not to mention that it took a while between Sunshine and Galaxy and then between Galaxy 2 and 3D Land, then another good amount of time between 3D Land and 3D World. Not to mention most of those were released on different systems.

Zelda is similar, in that it takes a lot of time inbetween main games (the last one was Skyward Sword and there's not even a date for the next Zelda) but there's a lot of side stuff or filler inbetween those main games (like OoT 3D or Wind Waker HD, for example).

It's not quite comparable to the yearly releases of either sports games or games like Assassin's Creed.

Essentially, this. Nintendo has a bigger ability to spread out their releases. Sure, we've got a lot of Mario games, but that's over more consoles than any other series currently on the market. Even if you discount every handheld that Nintendo has ever released, they've been in the market much longer than anyone else. Including the handhelds, and they've had double the power.

Sure, we've had well over a hundred, maybe two hundred games featuring Mario, but that's over more platforms, and more genres than anyone else ever. If you only count the main Mario games, then there's been roughly 15 games since the NES days. Meanwhile, how many Halo games are we up to now? Five in the mainline series, and if we wanted to count spin offs that are still part of the main continuity it's up to 11 I think.

There's no Master Chief goes Karting to spread out the Halo love like there is with Mario

Back