Xbox One You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people?

AvalonX

Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details, but he did clarify some things. For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.
You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.
Source: Arstechnica

Also, from Penny Arcade

Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

If this is true, is this a game changer?

I feel like the wording on this one is misleading. After all the fuss about the sharing games and used sales, I doubt that they'd implement something like this. There are probably a bunch of safeguards that prevent you from just giving your game away to a bunch of random people, friends or otherwise. I suppose it may be something like iTunes libraries where you can share them with people in your network, but they can't download your data or anything like that.

I'm really confused. If what is proposed is true it sounds almost too good to be true... it's like they're trying to make singleplayer games to be as easily shared and traded as possible which if that's the case why the heck do they have all these restrictions in the first place? Another reason I don't believe this is because if it were true there's no way Microsoft would be dumb enough to not show it off with pride every second, God knows they need all the positive PR they can get.

Looks like Xbox Support is trying to clear things up. I don't know how much I trust them though
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport2/status/345339696425099264

As far as what they are saying though it looks like it is the best case scenario. It is too good to be true though. Maybe they figure they will make it up in Live subs? Especially if they are jacking the price of the subs.

Oh terrific. Now we'll have to keep count and take turns and stuff. Fk. I will probably be getting PS4 at this rate. This whole situation has gotten ridiculous.

I think most of the confusion here and the reason for the restrictions comes from the inclusion of game disks. Microsoft's whole drm system is designed around the games being digital copies. From what i understand the game discs won't even have the game on them they will just authenticate that the game has been bought and then download the digital version. If you look at it this way then it make sense why they would do something like this. They new they we're going to get blasted for switching to an all digital format, so they made their format better than everything else out there, because now you can share your digital games. Now for why they haven't pressed this concept harder in their PR I don't understand. It may have almost been better for them to come out at the beggining and be like " so no more game discs, but look at how awesome our digital policy is.

False advertising or information most likely. If this was actually true, Xbox support would confirm this. They're trying to do something big since everyone is on Sony's side at the moment.

False advertising or information most likely. If this was actually true, Xbox support would confirm this. They're trying to do something big since everyone is on Sony's side at the moment.

Seems sometimes Microsoft's game side is just as inept and incompetent as their operating system side.

Seems sometimes Microsoft's game side is just as inept and incompetent as their operating system side.

I think Windows 8 did a lot of things right it was just too big of a change for most people.

All this confusion about shared games, and then they explained wrong, and then things ain't what they explained... Damn, just decide on what it is once and for all.

All this confusion about shared games, and then they explained wrong, and then things ain't what they explained... Damn, just decide on what it is once and for all.

Major Nelson is coming out with an article VERY soon that will hopefully put an end to all of the confusion.

Keyword being hopefully.

well he stated on his twitter that he's going into the office after today and beginning the work on it, so it shouldn't take tooooo long to get all the information to text.

Back