Xbox 360 Your view on Achievements?

Haze

Former Moderator
From
Australia
So how do our members here feel towards achievements?

Do you go for them? Are you a completionist? Do you have a OCD towards them? Or do you simply not care for them?

A year ago (well, over a year ago now) I was very into them to the point where it was affecting the fun factor towards games. I would simply play for achievements and it turned into a chore instead of a fun hobby. Seriously, I know this sounds dramatic but it became a problem for me and I just had to stop. Thankfully, I feel I'm mainly over it but every now and then a game will come along and if it's fun and I love it, I will go for the total 1000g.

Anyway, enough from me - let's hear your opinions/stories!

My interest in achievements seems to come and go. Sometimes I'll stay focused on trying to unlock as many as possible, but there are plenty of instances where I almost forget that they're even there. I know some folks are really concerned about their scores, but I don't think I fall into that category. I think my level of interested is hooked directly to the game. If the game is a fun experience I'm more likely to spend more time trying to unlock all that there is to offer.

It depends on the game for me. With some games I feel as if I have to get every single achievement possible, no matter how hard. On other games if I automatically get them throughout the course of the game that's great but otherwise I really don't care about the achievements and don't go out of my way to get them. I do find achievements overall to be an enjoyable addition to games as they add an extra element to lengthen my total playtime but some developers put achievements in the worst spots imaginable. It just makes me wonder what's going through the developers mind when he/she decides an achievement needs to go there (there being the worst spot imaginable).

I am absolutely obsessed with achievements! In every game I play I make sure I get every achievement possible. I probably spend more time hunting down achievements than I do actually playing the game. Even in silly little web-based games, if they have achievements I find myself absolutely compelled to complete them. It's kind of a love/hate relationship - I love doing achievements but I hate that it takes me forever!

My interest in achievements comes and goes too. I do really like the idea of them, because it can give you stuff to do in a game you like, but have otherwise beaten. The thing is, they're not often done right. They're at their best when they have you do something a bit crazy, I'm trying to think of examples, I remember WoW had some good ones for bosses in 5man runs, they were challenging and fun. They need to hit that nice middle ground, where they're a challenge, but doable, and not so easy that they're just listing things anyone can do, if that makes sense. I also like when achievements have rewards tied to them, other that just points.

I see the appeal in achievements, but they don't appeal to me. Some achievements you get by doing a number of playthroughs of the game, but I'm not one of those that can play a storyline over and over, just for a bigger number next to my gamertag.

I see the whole gamerscore thing as a bit of a willy-waving exercise for some anyway ;)

I don't do the achievements like "finish the game on every difficulty" but I will madly go after the ones like "kill 30 of these monsters by only punching them", these are fantastic to break up a game's repetitiveness and creating additional challenges to those people that want them.
Sometimes I will even stick with a game that I'm not totally enjoying if it has fun achievements that I can do.

I have been a fan of achievements ever since I turned on my 360 for the first time :D! I am not the type of person that goes for achievements just because I think I am better than other gamers for having a higher score but I go for achievements because I find a lot of fun in it. Achievements make me do things in games that I would normally never do. For example in Bioshock Infinite there is an achievement to complete the game on 1999 mode without ever using the dollar-vendor machine. This achievement is EXTREMELY difficult and I am still only half way through the game on this mode. If there wasn't an achievement dedicated to it then I would have beat the game on easy once and called it a day but the achievement is making me get a lot more playtime out of Infinite. I really hope Microsoft doesn't mess up achievements with the One.

I love achievements and it's not a bad thing for me. It doesn't ruin the fun, it adds to it in my case.
I love completing a game but a lot of times I'll go for the odd achievements first, not the main quest ones.

Always a nice feature in games. I often don't tend to go replay a level just for one achievement, I'm not a perfectionist. I like getting achievements while playing the game. Playing the game, and getting achievements is preferred over playing a game, and them replaying it for the achievements for me. I do like the little popup that reminds you that you did get an achievement though. I just play games for fun, I'm not a hardcore gamer.

I think achievements are ok actually. I think they add an element to the games that will make players want to play on further or explore
more than they would have done without the achievement system there. It also adds a replay element to the games so you feel like your
getting you moneys worth out the game. Some people do have a negative attitude to it, such as judging you based only on the amount of
achievements points you have. A sort of achievement point snobbery, but overall I have fun trying to collect them all.

I'm a relatively casual gamer, so achievements have absolutely no interest to me whatsoever. I don't play nearly enough to feel as if I need to "up my gaming status" to get the one-up on my online players. I only buy games that have serious replay value, so there is never a need to retry a level just to get the achievements. However, if the gaming companies somehow started to tie gaming achievements into an incentive program, I would most definitely be interested. If somehow gamers could begin to "cash in" their achievement points for rewards, or by achieving a certain status, the gamer would have various privileges unlocked to them, my interest in earning gamer points would rise substantially.

I usually don't achievement hunt normally. Whatever achievements I get along the way of playing a game is what I usually end up getting. Trying to get 100% completions for some points is just a waste of time in my opinion.

Achievements are a great way to add replay value and even to help players find out about secrets or perhaps some obscure feature of the games. They are great. I don't go achievement hunting on games that I dislike, though!

Achievements are what they should be: completely optional. I've only ever earned all the achievements on one game, and that's Lego Harry Potter (which doesn't really count because it was easy). I find some achievements to be outrageously difficult to achieve, though. I know that they're doable, but I think as a whole they're sort of meaningless because different people are good at different things. Still, I like them overall.

I love achievements. They not only add replay value, but they allow you to get the most out of a game. Many people play on rails and as soon as the credits roll they're done. They won't deviate from the storyline or explore or anything, and even with achievements most of them still won't branch out. That said with achievements at least some people will actually experience the hard work and whatever that people have put into the game. For me personally, I like to see everything anyway so the achievements are just a way of checking off things as well as rewarding me for being curious.

Back