Xbox One Xbox One DRM Removed: Family Share Dead

FordGTGuy

From
Portsmouth, VA
Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

•An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

•Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Yep thanks GAF for killing the best gaming share plan in existence.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Family share sounded interesting, but I'm the only one in my family who plays games. I have a couple of friends who I'd be able to share with, but we generally don't have the same taste in games. Bottom line, it didn't affect me personally, but I am a little disappointed that they didn't retain some version of that plan.

god i hate neogaf those people bitch and whine and ****ing **** bricks and once microsoft announces this they still say no they won't get it ....im sorry but i cannot stand that site anymore i refuse to ever go back there. lol

I would take the removals of all the online restrictions and other DRM policies over the sharing plan anyday of the week. Great job by Microsoft for stepping up and finally listening. I'd say the Xbox One is back in the game now. :D Thank God... I really thought they were going to go through with all the idiotic policies but since they're not I really have no idea which console I want to get anymore, haha. I guess I might get the Xbox One afterall!

This is great news, it puts them back in market for gamer's as a whole. Digital system would have been a nice secondary system for those of us that wanted to opt into it. All they need now is a price cut.

I'm actually really excited about this news. I'm glad MS decided to listen to its fan base. They had me going real scared for the last couple weeks. Its a real big thing they did. Just in time to! Guess i'm switching back!

I'm also happy for the news. I hope this quiets all the PlayStation fan boys once and for all and we can get back to talking about great games. I was never a fan of the digital system. Some people wanted it but i was not one of them.

I'm also happy for the news. I hope this quiets all the PlayStation fan boys once and for all and we can get back to talking about great games. I was never a fan of the digital system. Some people wanted it but i was not one of them.

It hasn't, in fact it has thrown more fuel on the fire.

One good bit of news the wording in one of the quotes makes it sound like the family share is still on the table but won't be at launch.

This is too little, too late in many consumers eyes. Microsoft offered crushing restrictions disguised as innovation and people won't forget that, nor should they. They will still offer many great games and probably a great experience with their console, but don't forget what they thought they could get away with.

Why can't they do both? I mean really, why can't you support brick-and-mortar "trade-in" stores, and offer a sharing/resale plan on the actual system for digital copies? Innovation should not be so black and white. Why must the consumer sacrifices established "rights" to receive benefits of new technology? It would be great to have a system than can accept current norms as well as pioneer new forms of digital ownership.

Happy about this change, and I feel they will be successful in terms of sales now. After the release of the information that DRM will be removed, the sales skyrocketed! Hopefully, Microsoft keeps their word on this, and doesn't break the bad news to us saying that this was a rumor. I may be getting the Xbox One now, but I still will be getting the PS4 first because it is cheaper. I would like to hear some reviews before actually buying the Xbox One, and see how people think of it.

If family sharing was soooo good as to justify the Xbone's restrictive DRM, then Microsoft should have announced and detailed it earlier. I simply do not trust them if they come now and say "man, we had something totally super awesome planned but it's too bad you won't see it now". It sounds like bull****. It sounds like they're trying to blame US. It's a dick move.

I fail to see how the family sharing thing can't be done without the DRM features. By defending such bull****, you look like a fanboy.

This is too little, too late in many consumers eyes.

Maybe so, but they did listen. They listened to complaints. Imagine any other company doing that, hardly any nowadays give a crap if you don't like something about their product. It may have been in the interest of money, but of course it was. They had to survive, they're a corporation, they want to make money. They made their mistakes and changed them, unlike, say, EA.

out with the new i with the old... some of the features with drm were neat and really intresting on how it would actually work... i feel that was xbo e3/press release was the hardest swallow to date... they never showed the capabilities and how they would work... all they did is talk about it. im not sure they really had it all figured out...

with just talking about family share,drm,game sharing and not really showing how it is done was the biggest upset... they could show a few games playing and skype and how to upload on twich(game stream place) which were all 3rd party items but nothing that microsoft them self was doing. if they howed them sharing a game or having a friend not have the game come in and join would have eased the hate a bit. having him go to a friends profile nad get excited they had a game he wanted to try would have been an epic win...

ive herd rumors family share is/was going to be allot like ps3/ps4 play/share where it was a demo type thing where you were given 45 minutes to play before promted to purchase...

They changed policies 5-6 months before the console launch and that's too little too late?

i think most people were just unhappy with the clarity of drm and family share. nothing was shown...

im just kinda bummed it may hurt gaming or what developers can do without the connectivity to cloud.

i think most people were just unhappy with the clarity of drm and family share. nothing was shown...

im just kinda bummed it may hurt gaming or what developers can do without the connectivity to cloud.

It won't hurt it, some games are most likely going to go far enough to be multiplayer only such as Titanfall.

oh some games will be directly aimed at multiplayer and require connection i agree... im saying the games that have a solo/multiplayer aspect.. it will dumb down some of the stuff just to get the physical data on a disk..

Back