Almost All Spoiler Free Review of World's End

Murray

From
Midwest US
Tonight I went and saw the new set of movies making a Corenotto Trilogy. In other words I saw Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and World's End.

The World's End is the newest movie involving Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. The three movies I listed above also involved Edgar Wright who is the writer and director of these movies.

I thought I'd let you all know what's going on here so you know whether you should spend some cash to go see this or to just wait... so let's find out.

The World's End starts off pretty quick but in typical fashion to the other movies. We're introduced to five boyhood friends who failed to complete what's called the "Golden Mile" which is essentially a pub crawl. Simon Pegg's character (Gary King) is the leader of the group of boys and then we go into the future to see that he wants to put the gang back together and try to complete the Golden Mile.

This is the first of the movies that Edgar has done with Simon where Nick Frost is the lead "Straight" man or essentially the guy who has his **** together and is the protagonist. Pegg's character is a true anti-hero.

Anyone who has seen commercials for this movie knows that the town where they are doing the Golden Mile at is full of robots. However, there's a lot of understory going on and it actually becomes pretty serious **** as the movie goes on. This is a movie that jumps plot point to plot point trying to hold itself together with the humor that you've grown accustomed to from the first two movies. It works for the first 30 minutes. It really does! Then its almost like you're watching a completely different movie during the second half.

This is mostly spoiler free but I'm here to tell you things get really real from a character development stance. We're not talking like one character gets better at life and learns a cute lesson, we're talking like really serious things are happening to these characters while trying to stay funny. We're talking like dialog that doesn't make sense. If that wasn't enough, the movie seems to forget what movies its following and you lose sight of the things you love in Edgar Wright films.

While it tries to pull itself together, it never regains the same feeling you get from watching the other movies and they are calling this a trilogy so I'm not just comparing them, I'm expecting them to hold onto common themes and certainly common types of theatrical writing. This doesn't show off the best face of these very talented people.

Now, you might think that I hated this movie and truthfully I didn't. I would not pay theatre prices to watch it but I think its worth a spot on your Netflix que. The beginning is fun to watch, the jokes are well done, and the fighting between the humans and robots are actually really fun to watch and there's a couple times you have to crack up. This is truly a movie who falls into a definition of something that's not really great but its not awful, its good for reasons and its bad for reasons.

This is literally right in the middle of it all.

The World's End might end the trilogy of the Corenneto films but it will likely leave viewers and fans believing there should be another to make up for the lack of this film fitting with the other two films.

Fun at times, awful at others, this film aught to be fun to view with your friends.

A 2.5 out of 5.

Thanks for the review Murray, My little cousin wants me to take them to go see. But the their movies are usually rentals for me. Your review reminded me why.

Glad I could be of assistance and hopefully save you about 28 bucks worth of ticket prices and 20 worth of concessions ... microwave popcorn, dvd/blueray viewing for this one is in order.

Back