Bioshock's Irrational Games closing their doors

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
images.jpg

The troubled development of BioShock Infinite was no secret—Levine's latest game was an expensive production, affected by multiple delays and scrapped features, which might explain his new focus.

Levine's new goal, as he wrote today: "To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are
highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally."
Okay, so this makes me really sad. Bioshock is/was in a class of it's own. Although I understand the difficulties that they went through with Bioshock Infinite, it's one of the best franchises on the Xbox, IMO. It's just...WOW. I honestly don't even know what to say except I'm looking forward to see what they come up with as a smaller group. I'm sad that I won't get to see Rapture again after Burial at Sea Episode 2 though! Maybe someone will buy up the rights and try to keep the franchise going? What do you guys think of this news?

Source: Kotaku

I don't think that means bioshock is done, the rights are now held by 2K. (they did bioshock 2) Either way though it's a shame that they're closing and I look forward to what his new team does in the future.

From what I read the studio is shutting down just doing massive layoffs of the majority of employees. He's keeping only 15 staff members.

2K will hold the rights to Bioshock but Levine will no longer handle how the story and future goes for Bioshock, so 2K has the option to make their own take on the world of Bioshock. We might see Rapture again in different form or we might even see a Bioshock game that takes place in our modern times, and see how the developments of Columbia and Rapture affects the present. Either way, Bioshock is in the hands of 2K, for better or worse. I can see 2K putting multiplayer in a future Bioshock game

But it is kinda sad to hear this. I didn't think they'd shut down that fast. I know the Bioshock games have been successful. Must be one of those times when the most successful need a new venture to get more creative. Probably Levine didn't want to be stuck in his own creation so he wanted to venture out of his own success cocoon and go forth in a new creative environment. I hope those who got laid off will get new jobs right away. Well, looking to see what new game he'll make. Well, he's now joining the ranks of Inafune and Mikami.

Like what the others say, Bioshock will live on in the hands of 2K. Levine just wants to venture into something more organic, smaller and more creative. This move reminds me of how Joss Whedon wanted to make his next Avengers (Age of Ultron) smaller, more organic and fresh and not a rehash of what he made (but he didn't leave his company). This is almost the same move Inafune and Mikami (Mighty No. 9 and Evil Within, respectively) have done but they didn't shut down the companies they worked in. So we'll see Levine make a new game but it's no longer Bioshock.

So Bioshock's future will depend on what 2K plans to do. Like what thedoodseven says, what will 2K do? Make a new take on the Rapture or see a Bioshock take place in modern times? We'll see.

I'm curious about Bioshock's future games. With 2K now holding the rights, they can do whatever they heck they want. They can make a reboot, a sequel to Infinite, either making it STILL a prequel to the original Bioshock, make some game that connects System Shock 1 and 2's universe, make an MMO Bishock... they got lots of options to branch Bioshock into the near future. Levine's no longer in charge with Bioshock at this point, so we'll see what 2K plans to do.

With Bioshock's future on 2k's hands I think it still has a chance. We might see a sequel to it sooner or later. It's still too early to think about it but well I agree with thecreed4life about a bioshock MMO, it would be nice to see something like that, but it would be a riot.

I'm curious about Bioshock's future games. With 2K now holding the rights, they can do whatever they heck they want. They can make a reboot, a sequel to Infinite, either making it STILL a prequel to the original Bioshock, make some game that connects System Shock 1 and 2's universe, make an MMO Bishock... they got lots of options to branch Bioshock into the near future. Levine's no longer in charge with Bioshock at this point, so we'll see what 2K plans to do.

I have faith that 2k will do great. I hope they can make a great game.

I guess they have plans of their own at the moment. I guess with the changes they will have freedom in what they want to do with the game.

Aww. too bad they lost Irrational games. But hey, like the others said here, 2k is a good company. they have been with Bioshock from the start, so I think knowing that, they can improve the game as much as they want.

Back