Can I Access Hulu, etc., Without XBox LIVE Paid Service?

XBoxtheSpot

From
Massachusetts
I plan to use an XBox 360 S Console to access streaming videos, via a wireless router hooked to a cable modem...

Can I access free services like Hulu (not Hulu Plus) thru the XBox, without having to sign up for the XBox LIVE paid
subscription service?

Hey XBox! Unfortunately,no. You need to have a paid Xbox Live Gold Subscription to be able to access things such as Hulu Plus, Netflix, Xfinity, etc. (There is no regular Hulu on there, but you can typically get a free trial of Hulu Plus). Remember though, that you also have to have a subscription to the aforementioned services to be able to use them on your Xbox. I just switched from Comcast to AT&T and now can't use the Xfinity app on the Xbox.

I got snookered by this as well, I wanted to watch netflix on my xbox and so I went to the netflix website and signed up. I already owned an xbox at the time and so I thought I was good to go, I could watch Netflix movies on my computer right away. They didn't work on xbox however, I couldn't connect without forking over an extra $49 for 3 months. It REALLY feels like I'm paying for something a second time.

- Internet connection
- Xbox console
- Netflix membership
- Xbox membership <--- NOT required to watch netflix on the computer or TV set.

It's like xbox is charging me a second time for my internet connection, not cool, these paid services should be exempt.

You have always had to pay for the full Xbox experience. Unless you just play campaign based campaigns, having Xbox Live is definitely worth it for everything that you get it.

I got snookered by this as well, I wanted to watch netflix on my xbox and so I went to the netflix website and signed up. I already owned an xbox at the time and so I thought I was good to go, I could watch Netflix movies on my computer right away. They didn't work on xbox however, I couldn't connect without forking over an extra $49 for 3 months. It REALLY feels like I'm paying for something a second time.

- Internet connection
- Xbox console
- Netflix membership
- Xbox membership <--- NOT required to watch netflix on the computer or TV set.

It's like xbox is charging me a second time for my internet connection, not cool, these paid services should be exempt.

I know, right. In the commercials where they were talking about all the entertainment options you have on XBox Live, they make it sound like if you paid to join all these entertainment services already and you have existing accounts, then you're all set. Nope, you have to have a gold XBox Live membership or none of your services work. But, as I mentioned in another thread, it's still cheaper than cable.

Sigh don't remind me.. you can't even use simple stuff like the Internet Explorer or Youtube without Gold.
I just find that ridiculous..

Back