(Closed) 2013 Xbox Live Update Xbox 360 Public Beta

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
Today, Major Nelson posted on his blog that they are accepting applications into the 2013 Xbox LIVE Update for Xbox 360 Public Beta.

Included
  • Updates to overall performance
  • Ability to conduct transactions with local currency (Microsoft Points being retired later this year)

The sign up process is directly through your Xbox 360 console to streamline the experience. Space is limited, so once the spots are filled the beta will be closed to the public.

To join, look for the Xbox Beta Program tile on the home hub of the Xbox Dashboard.

You will be required to agree to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) for confidentiality reasons. For more details on the beta, they have a Beta FAQ posted here.

Anyone on Xbox LIVE in any of the 41 Xbox LIVE Enabled markets will be able to participate in the public beta for Xbox 360. Please not that members in Japan will have an opportunity to join at a later date.

Update: The beta registration has been closed due to overwhelming demand for participation. If they re-open registration, it will be posted on majornelson.com or tweeted by @majornelson on twitter.

Ooh, this seems interesting. I'm wondering how the update is going to improve performance for older consoles like mine. I have a white HDMI Xbox 360 with a silver disc tray. Not sure what year etc though. I will have a look later.

What I am most interested in is the move from MS point to actual currency. I have always found that we pay prices that are always more than what the points are worth and also that when you buy say 1200 points, the game or DLC you want is like 1500 or 1800 or something so you're forced to buy another load of points to top up your current lot, then when you buy what you want, you've got like a silly random amount of points that you can't do anything with :(

Hopefully the remaining Microsoft points that people have will be converted to local currency, or else that would be a huge waste. I found an FAQ on this, hopefully the information is true.
Microsoft Account Transition to Local Currency | Billing and Subscriptions - Xbox.com

What if I have codes and/or Microsoft Points Cards that I haven’t redeemed?
Go ahead and redeem them! Even after your account transitions, we’ll still accept purchased Microsoft Points Cards and codes through 2014 and for a limited time thereafter, and we’ll credit you an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of those points as we phase out the Microsoft Points program.

i downloaded the betta sas it takes 1-2 days to register your console.. i look forward to a bit of change... i wish the daskboard was abit more customizable... the bla look/feel is boring.. needs a change up..

the off grey background gets annoying.. id like a black background... maybe a boarder around the window to make them pop idk.. i just get tired of the same looking dashboard.

im glad to hear about points and completly agree on the left over points being annoying.. i have enough points to buy odd ball stuff(avatar junk) but not enough for a dlc or any content... enough for a crappy movie but not enough for a new release.. when i do download it dosnt give option to just buy with what you have.. its all incramental.. id love to be able to cash them in. or put it towards something. heck id jump all over far cry3 if i could convert it to dollars and use my paypal for the rest but its not so:(

well im on the betta lets see what comes of it.

I am partaking in the console beta as well. I am interested in seeing if there are any more goodies besides the currency change that they may not have announced on Major Nelson's blog.

Yes, i saw that their is another xbox update coming out, i honestly don't see the real point to it when they are releasing a new console very soon. But i do hope to see more about it.

Yes, i saw that their is another xbox update coming out, i honestly don't see the real point to it when they are releasing a new console very soon. But i do hope to see more about it.

I would think the beta is fore updates before the updates go live to everyone. Yes xb360 is going to look very similar to xb1 by nov launch. Think of the 360 as an early firmware/software trial basis to the November launch. Ith mass consoles bata testing software integration they get real world feedback before xb1 launch.

I am glad I got in on the beta. My buddy got in on it 4 months ago or so on the first try.

Back