Do you miss video stores?

alycat32

Or do you enjoy the convenience of Netflix, Direct tv, Payperview and downloading movies?

I DO enjoy the conveniences, but there was nothing quite like ordering a pizza and browsing the video store for five horror movies for five nights while the pizza was cooking.
Some of my favorite memories are of my best friend and I gorging ourselves silly with junk food while we watched whatever movies we rented. Every Sunday night I'd rent a movie so that I'd have one last part of the weekend to look forward to before school.

We actually had a mom and pop video store that sold Mexican jumping beans and fresh popcorn in striped boxes.

From a practical standpoint, no, but I definitely miss the experience. I also have fond memories of walking around the aisles of my former local video store, which was independently-owned. I mostly browsed the games, but I rented a fair share of movies as well, and I spent a lot of time there. As time went on, their game selections weren't as good, so at least there was a slow decline in my interest before video stores at large became antiquated.

There's still video stores where I live but I can't remember the last time I went to one.

There is only 1 video store in my city now, called Family Video. But for me I do miss those days. Going to Video Plex and renting the old VHS...ahhhh good times

From a practical standpoint, no, but I definitely miss the experience. I also have fond memories of walking around the aisles of my former local video store, which was independently-owned. I mostly browsed the games, but I rented a fair share of movies as well, and I spent a lot of time there. As time went on, their game selections weren't as good, so at least there was a slow decline in my interest before video stores at large became antiquated.

For sure, I agree. It's just the way of the world now and more practical. It's the same with CD stores. I can't tell you the last time I bought an actual CD of music. I'm sure people still do, because FYE is still open in my town, but iPods and other MP3 players are just so convenient to listen to on the go. They are much smaller than CD players, and you can even hook them up to your car and listen to them through the radio.

I was thinking about this more last night. When I was really young, we had a local video store out in the boonies called "Video Ventures". The place went out of business years ago. I recall that the store had it's movies upstairs broken into genres, and the register downstairs. There were huge cardboard cutouts of Freddy Kruegar up there and I'd be afraid to walk by them.

I don't. I never really have been there often and I think it's just very expensive. You have a lot more opportunites if you want to play something without having it around.

Technology has certainly given us new and cheaper opportunities! I love being nostalgic but I can't deny that it's convenient to just stream a film at your fingertips.

In some ways I do. I became good friends with the cashier that was at my local Blockbuster and he would sometimes let me get a skittles bag for free ha. It's also nice to just walk around isles and isles of movies and look at all of the box art personally.

In some ways I do. I became good friends with the cashier that was at my local Blockbuster and he would sometimes let me get a skittles bag for free ha. It's also nice to just walk around isles and isles of movies and look at all of the box art personally.

I agree, that was a huge draw in as well, checking out the box art. Movie cover art helped me pick which movie I'd get.

I'm not sure that I miss the stores, but I miss the symbol of what it meant to me when I was young. I was between 8 and 15 going to the video store every single weekend. My buddies and I would get 5 or 6 videos or get some games and rent those as well. It would be like an hour of our time on Friday evening after our dads got home. It was an amazing and awesome time. We'd sometimes get through all the stuff that we rented by mid day Saturday. So, that kind of good time, being able to rent 6 items for like 4 bucks, all of that is something in the past, but... where things have changed, its a bit different now, but you can still get some good times with the streaming world.

I actually used to work at a video store. I don't really miss them. I tend to use the Internet to watch movies and TV series through Netflix and various video sites like youtube, amazon etc. I sort of do reminisce about picking up movie jackets as they are called, and reading over the summary of the various films available to rent. I've yet to use redbox, eventually I'll have to give that a shot.

What I miss about old video stores like blockbuster is being able to go, pick out a new movie, and buy some mike and ikes or some popcorn while I'm there. The closest thing like that is now redbox, which is great.

I actually really do miss video stores and when I see one that is still open (I see them sometimes) I really want to support the business haha. I just hate how BlockBuster went bankrupt but you know it happens.

I actually do miss them. I really enjoyed getting out and seeing the new releases. Also, most stores sold used games too. So I would end up purchasing a few cheap games. Although I will say that I wasn't renting movies for quite some time. Taking movies back tot he store was horrible.

I do not. It is just as easy to find stuff online now or get things digitally. There was a lot more hassle dealing with video stores.

I used to love video stores for the same reason I love bookstores. I really enjoy walking through and browsing the videos, music, and books - it feels more personal to me.

Back