Do you think it is right for Microsoft to charge 60 dollars for online play?

It seems to me like cutting the cost of Xbox Live in half would benefit them more because:
1. They'd still be making money from Online Play while Sony would not.
2. More people would purchase Xbox products and pay for Xbox Live (more customers, more money)
3. People will be more encouraged to pay for Xbox Live
4. Special perks can be added for Xbox Live for 60 dollars and therefore the profit will be MORE than maintained.

Those 4 steps can bring in much more profit for them and make us, the gamers, way happier!

Sounds like a perfect idea. At first when i read have everyone pay 30, you need to think that cuts their profit in half but yes they will be getting more players AND they can have exclusive stuff for 60 dollar paying people. Not sure what, maybe Netflix and all those other applications? The 30 dollars could just be strictly for online play but honestly i like this post out of all the others

Ive never really had a problem with Xbox Live costing money and it kind of made sense to me at the time, but at this point doesnt it almost seem like theyre just trying to milk more money out of us? Me (and im sure many other people) are having really bad money problems and cant really afford throwing 60 bucks just for online play even though its extremely fun. Like i said though, ive never really had a problem with them charging money for it considering it makes sense to help keep servers up for games and it helps them produce their expensive new hardware and such and ESPECIALLY because of the fact that PSN was hacked into and Xbox Live wasnt. Maybe it was just PSN being targeted, but it also could have been the extra money that Xbox Live charges that saved them from hacking attacks considering PSN has free online. But from another point of view it feels really bad. Games are always very expensive even if theyre old most of the time and in order to get the new games that youve been looking forward to, but then adding the extra 60 dollar fee every year just kind of sucks. I mean 60 dollars is an entire game and even though it doesnt seem like a big deal, you could actually be getting a game every year with that money AND play online with your friends if they made it free. It sucks even more for people who only like to use their Xbox as a media player because you require Xbox Gold to even be able to play Netflix or any other media apps. Thats just my thoughts on it, but to finish it off id just like to say that the economy isnt what it used to be and not everyone can afford the 60 dollars a year, no matter how stupid that sounds and i feel that at this point Microsoft would have enough money to complete their endeavors and they could either lower the cost or make it free.

The price of Xbox live has always stayed about the same at retail. You can always find it cheaper than suggested retail, but, its worth what people will pay for it. There are tons of people paying 60 for it so its worth it. If you dont think its fair, the simple solution is to not buy it. Nobody is ENTITLED to XBox Live service. You wont live or die if you dont have it. If you really NEED it that badly, skip a few game purchases, skip a few trips to mcdonalds, skip a night or two out at the movies. Dont expect Microsoft to make up for your money shortages.

I do not think that it is right to charge 60 dollars per year. But when has there ever been morality in a capitalist economy? We live by the golden rule. He who has the most gold makes the rules. I wouldn't be against something low like $9.99 per year. I really enjoy playing PC games for free online. Come to think of it, how many competitors charge for online play?

Morality? Its not like Xbox Live is something everyone who is alive is entitled to. XBox Live is a luxury, not a necessity. This gimme gimme attitude is getting pretty bad. Hey, let me have your xbox for 19.99, if not, your morality needs work...

I guess its just hard for me to think 60 a year in this economy per person is justified but i probably got so obsessed over that, that i forgot even companies have financial problems no matter how big they are.

It IS justified. do you think just because youre hurting that they HAVE to lower their prices? Did you know that in times of recession or depression, video game companies actually see a SURGE?! This is because more people are at home, using video games to escape whatever is wrong in reality, and are willing to pay to have that. Money spent on vices increases during these times as well. That just goes to show, that just because YOU cant afford xbox live doesnt mean microsoft should change their whole policy and make it free...

I myself have a very big problem with Microsoft charging 60 dollars to play online. I think 60 dollars is a lot of money to pay just to play someone online. That is one of the many factors that always gave Playstation 3 the benefit of the doubt.

You're entitled to your opinion and entitled to have a problem with that. The simplest solution? Dont buy XBox Live.

Everyone, video games are a LUXURY. You dont go to the Mercedes Benz dealership and tell them the cars they have are too expensive and they should sell them to you at the price of the cheapest Hyundai. You dont go look at a million dollar house and tell the seller "the price is too high, it should cost me the same as a single wide trailer. You dont. Youre not ENTITLED to XBox Live or online play. SURE, some companies are generous enough to not charge for online play, but i guarantee you that their quality control and server infrastructure has nothing on Microsofts.

I never like the idea of Xbox Live, but I do think it should be a little bit cheaper. I mean I understand they need to make their money, but it should be a little but cheaper. I mean take in consideration how many people use Xbox Live.

Are you guys trolling or what? Where on earth can you get a 1 year xbox live membership for $22? I paid $40 for the year only because they were having a special bundle with xbox one purchase. Please let us all know where these amazing deals are on xbox live memberships....

60 dollars is less than 6 dollars a month. I think a majority of people that own the xBone can afford that. But I agree that it's a big business. 5$ per month, mililions of users... you do the rest. It's a good way to rake in some money for Microsoft.

I think its a bit too much especially considering the cost of the Xbox One.

The price is perfect! I do not agree on paying for the apps but the price pays for a lot of things and online game play is amazing on Xbox live. I have pay it for years now and not stopping any time soon.

if you shop around you can get it for cheaper than 60.. i payed 40 for a year at the day 1 launch of xbox one. that gives me till end of 2015..

honestly xbox servers are the most stable. they have made a commitment to deliver and continue to make it better. all these issues with bf4 is an ea problem. hackers or not.. ea refused to let microsoft handle the servers which is such an idiotic move on ea's point. so we cant point the finger at microsoft for an ea issue.

out of the last 4+ years i can only think of maybe 2 times live was down for any issue and im still not 100% it was microsoft...

microsoft has also said in time we will get free games onthe xbox one. obviously they cant at launch as games are all new.. but give it time... they have stayed true to most everything they say we are getting. and have even changed to make the community happy.

Well, look at Apple for example: their products are more expensive than the competition because they are more secure. Even Android is hackable and can be infected with a rat (remote administration tool). You know how many viruses there are for Windows. Regarding iOS and Mac? None. My point is, you do pay for security and stability when using your Xbox, the same way it is with Apple. (I am in no way trying to advertise them)

It being "right" has nothing to do with it. For gaming and only gaming $60 isn't anything. $60 a month (or less if you know where to look) is front pocket money compared to what some have paid for the X1. Beyond gaming, you'd have to be friggin nuts to pay for Live Gold just to use services such as YouTube or other services you're already paying for.

To use MetalSwift's example it's like paying a $5 toll a month to get juice from your fridge (a subscription service) when you bought all the stuff inside of it (games), the fridge itself (the console), and the electricity to power it (internet).

No one is forcing anybody to shell out the sixty dollars, its just that simple. I split the cost which works out much better with me and he plays way more than I do. If you don't want to pay then don't play.

60 dollars for a whole year I really think that that is a great deal. If you do the math that is just about $5 per month for a service that is great. I really enjoy online play and for it to be so cheap is really a steal. I do no think that the $60 for a whole year is really that bad at all.

Yeah I think $60 is not that much of a big deal, I'd rather pay 60 bucks for a service that really works well rather than something free but broken. Sure the Live service has its flaws but I think it's pretty sweet and I don't mind paying for it.

For the service and the performance, I guess it's justified for the $60 a year even though I would've preferred it to be cheaper. Well, the price does come with the quality. At least Xbox Live is consistent and rarely have hiccups. Microsoft needs the money to maintain the servers and stuff.

I personally dislike the subscription model. I think it is not lawful for them to charge $60/year just for free multiplayer. I do agree that they give free games, but I'm usually not interested in them. Even Sony charges for online now from PS4 onwards. I don't think the free games and those other little features justify the cost. Especially in third-world countries, the money could mean a lot.

No i honestly think that it is enough just to pay for every thing from hard drives, to the consoles, wireless adapters, overpriced controllers and $60 a year. But people love to game and they know how to take advantage of them. :(

Back