Xbox One External hard drive question...

Vortimous

From
New Orleans
I am looking to add my first external hard drive to my Xbox one.... starting to run out of space... I have a few questions...

1st.... has anyone had any problems with using an external harddrive as your new main drive? Do you ever lose content or have issues with it saveing properly? Are load times slower for some reason... basically are there any problems using an external hard drive.

2nd. Can anyone recommend one that is good or should be used... does MS recommend one in particular? Is there one I should not go with due to issues? I have not bought an external hard drive in a long time, so I don't know what is out there.. just looking for something that will keep me going for awhile and not give me any problems...

3rd. Do you have to transfer all your current games and saves to the new hard drive or can you just keep them where they are and just add new games to the new harddrive????

Thanks for any info...

1: yes i do have one.. i run a 3tb buffalo..
i have had 0 issues with saving.. it is actually faster with an external.. it frees up cpu space for processing.. a few have had issues with some hd's but it was the firmware in those hard drives..(i dont know which but odd named ones or less known would e my guess)

2: buffalo drive station 3tb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380957853707?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
microsoft does not recommend or sell one as a :microsoft or xbox external)
the biggest thing to loo at other than size is speed.. the cheaper name brand ones have a low rpm speed... why the more expensive have higher..
iirc the buffalo i posted is a 7200rpm while the cheper ones are 5200 some offer s 10,000rpm but its super priicey

3:you have to transfer your games over.. its simple but will take some time.. basically you hit the 3 little bars next to the home button and manage the app/game and move it to the external hd it will transfer over all saves/dlc/whatever when you do it.. do not tray and multi transfer 2-5 games at a time.. it will slow to a crawl.. do each game individually and it goes much much smother

as far as worries.. everything is digitally connected to your gamertag...so even if for some crazy ass reason you did loose it.. it couldbe redownloaded for free since you already had it...but i have not herd of any issues of that..

Thanks for the info... I am more worried about saved data than losing a game... Infact I think I have the disc of all my games...I think the only game I bought threw the store was Killer Instinct so no worries there... its more of all the progress and saves of my current games... don't want to start over....

Hey, shark,

I finally got my harddrive, the one you mentioned above. I have not installed it yet. How do I go about the process. Do I have to format it? And I think you said it has to transfer all games over to it? What about new games I get in the future, should I install them to the new hard drive or will it install them to the internal one automatically. Does it give you the choice when you install? Before I try, I figured I would ask... hope you are still around these forums...

Sucks what happened yesterday to all those kids that got xboxs and playstations for Christmas.... that is just wrong...

when you plug it in via a usb it will probably recognize it as a usb and think you are trying to use it for music/video.. or it may recolonizes it and ask you to format it i cant recall off the top of my head...
remember tho you are formatting the whole external you cant partition it at all.

i believe once its formatted it asks you if you want to apply all installs to the device. you would say yes... this only installs things from that point on it does not transfer your pre downloaded stuff.

once you have it formatted if you go to games/apps select the game or app and hit the button with 3 lines/bars and hit manage... you want to move the game to the hard drive.. it does each peice individually i know it seems weird and can be frustrating but its how it works..

my biggest recommendation do not put more than 3 things in the move category at any time.. it will lag the system down and its just like downloading from a server it just puts things in que so its not like its trying to move 100 things at once. patience is your best friend with moving all your games.

after my post i found this video hope it helps man. congrats on the hd im i cant believe how many games i have already and really hav not bought but a handfull.. i have more xb1 games than 360 already:)

[video=youtube;W968QaCBEDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W968QaCBEDw[/video]

In the market as well....

Everyone is recommending the sea gate model....

In the market as well....

Everyone is recommending the sea gate model....

buffalo drive station 3tb got mine for like 119bux on ebay new.. thing to look for is really rpm with the externals. its a usb 3.0so the transfer speed is good... the low rpm externals you can feel a difference 5200rpm's at least from the 7200rpm i have.. and i would suspectthe 10,000rpm ones are just faster.. where the threshhold for a usb3.0 is i have no clue.. or the general computing power.

i have yet to have an issue with mine....knock on wood...
i have a friend who got a smaller 1tb that was usb powered and it would drop connection from time to time.. he switched it out or warrantied it and hasnt had issues but that is the other only first had experiance i can give.

What is the maximum sizeHD you can use? I saw a 4tb for only $139 on Amazon and a 3tb for $99.

What is the maximum sizeHD you can use? I saw a 4tb for only $139 on Amazon and a 3tb for $99.

you can go as big as you want... as long as it is usb3.0 retrievable.
a few companies offer 10tb usb3.0 quad hard drives that are externally powered.. so really the sky is the limits as long as your wallet allows it lol.

fwiw my buffalo is an externally powered external hd my xb1/usb is not its power source.

i will advise to check out those 4tb... western digital (my book) 4tb is basically the standard from my findings.. than seagate

i can give my reasoning and general findings only.. and hear is what i was directed at from a guy who does it for a pharmaceutical company and deals with this stuff on the regular.
the unit i chose the buffalo drive station
it uses 1gb of dram cache to help speed the hd up.. it is a hd that is basically build of a hybrid sshd which are faster by design than a standard hd but not as fast as a full standard state hard drive. it is a 7200rpm hd so it is a "standard" speed.. its not the 5200 or ther 10k so performance is good..

when microsoft first launched the external hd expansion/usb3.0 a few companies had quite a few issues with how hard drives were coded or something on those lines and the hd's would not format to xb1 making them useless. allot of those errors have since been fixed. i would assume microsoft helped the companies or it was int he xb1 coding..

i dont have a ton of games but i think i am in the 20-22 range... and am only at like 9 or 10% out of my 2.9tb of space... so i have a ton of room.

i dont have a clue if cloud processing is used yet with gaming or whatver microsoft was selling it to us as...but if it does take place it will only help i guess..

I was looking at the link you gave and the model listed is only a 5400rpm HD. I know the one you are talking about though with the large cache, but this is the one I think I am going to get, but still looking, 3tb 7200rpm BBuffalo Desktop Axis Velocity.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PVXI30/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am still shopping around for a lower price, but many cheaper ones do not specify the rpm so I always "assume" that means slow. The 4tb one I saw for much cheaper did not specify the rpm speed.

3tb should be more than enough as I upgraded my PS4 to 2tb and still have tons of space.

I was looking at the link you gave and the model listed is only a 5400rpm HD. I know the one you are talking about though with the large cache, but this is the one I think I am going to get, but still looking, 3tb 7200rpm BBuffalo Desktop Axis Velocity.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PVXI30/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am still shopping around for a lower price, but many cheaper ones do not specify the rpm so I always "assume" that means slow. The 4tb one I saw for much cheaper did not specify the rpm speed.

3tb should be more than enough as I upgraded my PS4 to 2tb and still have tons of space.

i would have to dig up my external box... if mine is a 5200rpm than i can say that it works just fine lol.. maybe its the extra cache that helps idk.. i almost tried the usb powerd2.0 but when newgenn or whatever had the deal on mine i jumped all over it.

the hd space required at for games seems to be less than at launch... we were seeing 65gb games and even destiny was in like the 30's iirc.. plus most games with gold are onl like 2-3gb at max recently.

but back on externals.. the consumer reviews for bufflo system externals was in the top/middle and that was more my selling point. i almost went 5tb with a western digital but felt that the 3tb would get me thru the next 5-9 years lol.. i dont buy allot of game.. and again free game size is still low.. i kinda figure i will buy about 5 games a year and get another 12-14 with free games and those random 5-9 dollar purchases.. those cheaper games have really surprised me with quality.

I am still looking around, but mine is about 80% full so I need to do something soon.

well snap to it man lol.. you may see a bump in performance just from freeing up the interna hd space

say mines quiet...... i can hear my xb1 more than anything that brick is loud.

I got it already and when I hooked it up it didn't ask me to format, it automatically set it up as music only. I had to go in the settings and find it and change it to use apps and games. Of course that only took a second, but had me worried at first.

I am debating if I should just "move" or "copy" the games. I guess moving will delete them from the internal and copy will save it to both HD's. Probably going to "move" them.

I know you said it was slower, but I wish there was a "copy all" so I could just start it and let it run overnight instead of going in and checking if its done all the time.

yea i had same thing.. it reconized it as a usb media device at first.. i had to go into settings/memory iirc..

yes you want to move the games.. no its not fun at all.. and i do agree they need a move all but i kinda understand why it is the way it is. it got kinda frustrating for the first 3 games will i figured out that it breaks down every thing in each game.. dlc,game ect ect..

best thing to do is just let it run.. don't do Pandora or anything it will slow it down.. i tried twitch and well i learned its easier to just let it go..

kinda why i suggest to anyone thinking an external is in the future to jump on it now... the more you have in storage the more your going to hate transferring. i think somewhere down the line microsoft will come up with a better method when it frustrates people right now i dont think a ton of people have gone the external route..

Back