Favorite GameCube games

SpiralArchitect

I have noticed that the Nintendo GameCube never gets the same sort of attention that consoles like the PS2 and XBox. I am not really sure how popular the console was but it must have done something right to survive for 5 years.

My personal favorite from the GameCube's library was SoulCalibur 2 thanks to the addition of Link as a playable character. That aside the game was a good fighting game in its own right and was later introduced to the PS2 as well. Some other great GameCube games were Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Metroid Prime. Of course there were all the classic Nintendo games like Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros. to enjoy as well.

So what were your favorite games on the console? What was your general opinion of it?

The Gamecube definitely had a line-up for higher replay-value. Some games that automatically come into mind are:

- Resident Evil 4
o The game was awesome and considered to be the most visually appealing for the Gamecube that had such a bad rep, at least where I socialized with on graphics. Replay value was extremely high, and it’s always fun blasting some Las Plagas victims. The story was basically a “Secret Agent Man” theme, and it was obvious Leon has to survive throughout. One of the best cinematic knife scenes with Krauser in my opinion.

- Tales of Symphonia
o I played this game for hours despite of the constant exp grinding. I loved the story, and paying attention to those skits had some common lessons that I think we take for granted. There was so much personal strife between the main characters, and trying to be friends despite of their conflicting background history with the two worlds made the story more complex.

- Prince of Persia: Sands of Time/Warrior Within/The Two Thrones
o I absolutely loved these three games. Even though Warrior Within was a bit too aggressive, at least The Two Thrones calmed things down a bit. I have Prince of Persia for the Wii, which feels more childish and easy compared to these three. Playing as the Dark Prince in the Two Thrones and seeing the Prince clash with his ego and learning how to accept reality instead of denying it really made me respect him more.

- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
o I’ve been a fan of any spy/stealth/espionage related game. The Bath house mission really gave me a challenge, and even trying to look at 100% non-lethal guides still made things difficult for me. Still haven’t completed the game through 100% non-lethal though.

- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
o Loved the music and raising Chao, but hated the Knuckles and Rogue stages with a passion. The song “Live and Learn” was something I would repeat on MP3 Players all the time. Never really got around collecting all the rings though.

- True Crime: Streets of L.A and True Crime: New York City
o Both games were awesome, I liked how there was at least an attempt to make a GTA spinoff for the Gamecube. I found Streets of L.A. to have some funny unlockables and wondered why the sequel didn’t carry that over.

- Beyond Good and Evil
o Fairly short game in my opinion, but I always wanted to give this game a try after so many years of seeing the positive reviews on it. I liked the character and her struggle to persevere and acknowledge her true self at the end of the game. Wish I could get Beyond Good and Evil 2 though.

- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
o Loved the story, even though it's your generic plot, but most importantly, I liked Tetra. Out of all the Zelda characters in the franchise, she had a unique and rebellious demeanor. And even when she acknowledges her true role in the game, she apologizes for Link for all that she made him go through which is something you rarely see in any Legend of Zelda game.

True Crime: New York City on Gamecube was very good. My favorite on GC was Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness and the Paper Mario title there.

Definitely Super Smash Bros Melee.
It's an excellent fighting game and I wasted too much time playing with my friends and my brother.

My favorites were Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Super Smash Bros. Melee is up there as well. What made Melee and the SSB series as a whole fun was 4-way fights with funky levels. Playing SSBB online was odd since there were a lot of players who picked linear levels and usually one on one fights...if I wanted to do that I'd just play SF or MK :(

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was my favorite. It was a Paper Mario that was the last actual successor to Paper Mario. The one on Wii was more like an old school Mario game where you could switch between 2D and kinda 3D. I haven't tried the one 3DS yet. I have it, but there's some RPGs there I'd playing through.

Totally agree about SSBB online players, Outrun.

My fave for sure has to be Windwaker, with Melee coming in a very close 2nd and RE4 taking third. Overall it was a good system, not the best but it def didn't deserve the lackluster rep that it got...I mean that think could stand a god damn building falling on it...plus dat handle...

Anyway I wasn't too big on Mario Sunshine and although Soul Caliber 2 was my first fighting game (Link ftw!) it wasn't until last year where I started playing them. It'd be interesting to go back to it though.

I didn't add Melee, but it was one of my favorites. I had some much fun with my sister and brother playing it.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was my favorite. It was a Paper Mario that was the last actual successor to Paper Mario. The one on Wii was more like an old school Mario game where you could switch between 2D and kinda 3D. I haven't tried the one 3DS yet. I have it, but there's some RPGs there I'd playing through..

The Thousand Year Door was sooooo good. I liked it better than the original, actually. Paper Mario for Wii U was good, but it didn't have the RPG feel to me. They should've kept that with Paper Mario: have two RPGs with Mario brand and everything else can be platformers, racing, party games, and sports.

Back