Favourite Playstation One Game?

Kwizkey

Of all my consoles, when I first opened up my Playstation box I was utterly overjoyed, it provided me with the most fun and rage-free gaming over any other console, even without having fancy graphics and quality sound effects. Spyro, Crash Bandicoot (and CTR), Rayman and Lego Racers were the games of the console for me and I can remember more about them than any other games on any other console. What are your favourite games from the old PS1 and what are your memories of them?

For me, it's a tie between the original Tomb Raider and the Director's Cut of the first Resident Evil. Those two games are the ones that made me a fan of both those series. I still have them and play them every now and then!

I was really young when I had my PS1 and the first game I remember playing and that I associate too when someone talks about the PS1 is Hercules. I had such a good time with that game. I remember having fun with Tomb Raider too, every time that tiger jumped to us in the first levels I was always scared.

Gran Turismo or Wipeout for me... GT is still my most played game ever (with the NeGCon - the PERFECT controller for racing), and Wipeout had Firestarter timed to kick in with the first turn of track #1 - design perfection...

NFL Blitz. I was absolutely addicted to that game and i played it everyday. It was a very exciting game at the time.

I would probably go with Tekken 3, Tomba, or Threads of Fate. They are all different games, so it is hard to pick just one. I haven't played any of them in years, but if you made me choose, I would probably pick Tomba.

To me personally, I had a few favorites on the original Playstation from GT, Wipeout, Tomb Raider and Resident Evil.

Crash Bandicoot was always a joy to play though.

This may be kind of weird but I would have to say mine is Test Drive 6 which was a really fun racing game and I suppose Silent Hill would be a close second. Can not say that either have really aged well even more so toward Silent Hill.

Medieval 1 & 2 for me. I liked goofy Sir Dan and the setting of the games.

Oh man, I remember Medieval and MDK.. My two favorites were Tomba and WWF Smackdown 2.

WWF Smackdown 2 was one of my favorite wrestling games of all time. I did not get it until i actually played it at my friends house. The variety of match types really made the game special for its time.

For me, its easily any of the FF games released on that console. I remember being blown away by 7 that I even rented a ps1 for a week to play it, twice. After that I begged my parents for a ps1 pretty damn hard ! I was so addicted to that game. Sadly i never got into any of the FF games after the ps1 (ff10 +) but i do like the look of 15 and will check that out for sure when its released for the x1. I tend to fall asleep playing FF games now, cant play them for any longer than an hour before i end up passing out in my chair, all that talking ! I must be getting old :\

Abes oddysee/exodus. Loved those games to death. Of course, the Crash Bandicoot games are up there too.

The one PS1 game that will always stick in my head was Metal Gear Solid. It was such an original concept and so far away from the traditional shoot and kill type games. Having to be cautious and careful and really think about your actions made this game incredible. That added to the movie like storytelling that integrated with the gameplay itself makes this probably one of my favourite games ever.

WWF Smackdown 2 was one of my favorite wrestling games of all time. I did not get it until i actually played it at my friends house. The variety of match types really made the game special for its time.

That's what I liked about Smackdown 2, the match types. The N64 WWF (and THQ/WCW) games were better all around and didn't suffer from 90s disc loading, but they didn't have all the match I wanted (Hell in a Cell)...and cage matches were just hyper difficult on N64. When you had to face Ken Shamrock in that one cage match in career mode you might as well either turn the game off or get a lot of snacks.

That's what I liked about Smackdown 2, the match types. The N64 WWF (and THQ/WCW) games were better all around and didn't suffer from 90s disc loading, but they didn't have all the match I wanted (Hell in a Cell)...and cage matches were just hyper difficult on N64. When you had to face Ken Shamrock in that one cage match in career mode you might as well either turn the game off or get a lot of snacks.
Yeah I hated facing Ken Shamrock in that game. He was a tough dude to crack, but I did appreciate the challenge.

Oh the challenge was great. It was like he was on Hard/Rock Hard difficulty even if your game was set to Normal. Shamrock did not play around. The only way it could've been better is if you busted him open he just snapped and got an instant Special.

Hmm I would say it's between Metal Gear Solid (which I have beat a total of 15 times on the PSX, I couldn't afford too many games growing up, but that game was worth the replays.) and Final Fantasy 7

Playing MGS on PSX was an experience at the time as was a lot of stuff: Tomb Raider, FF7, NFL Blitz, etc.

Back