Xbox One Feature Idea: Vacation Mode

cossectansin

After reviewing the One's new online check-in policy I've heard a lot of people complaining about, "well what if I wanted to bring it on vacation...or over a friends house that doesn't have internet" I feel like Microsoft should build in a "Vacation time" say like 2 or 3 weeks a year where by setting your Xbox to Vacation mode you are allowed to go more than 24 hours without checking in online.

I know there is probably some design philosophies that get in the way of this but I think it would work relatively simply. You would be able to play any games you currently have on your Xbox but you wouldn't be able to install anything new (on account of Microsoft needing to check if you are the actual owner of the new game or not). By setting your machine to vacation mode you retain ownership of all of your titles, essentially meaning you wouldn't be able to sell any of your games and have them activated on another Xbox while in vacation mode. I don't know, it seems like something that would be relatively simple to implement.

What do you all think?

I think something has to be done... it just doesn't feel right that those without a stable internet aren't allowed to own the next Xbox. But I don't think Microsoft really cares and are willing to leave those poor saps by the way side and this vacation mode just doesn't sound like a realistic option - especially considering the whole cloud aspect where games are somewhat powered elsewhere from the hardware. The more I think about the always online connection (checking once every 24 hours is practically the same thing) the more it makes my head hurt and I am more and more steering away from the Xbox One.

It's not a very realistic option but I agree that something absolutely has to be done. I think Microsoft themselves are regretting the always online moves they've been making and I don't think it'll last, that they will issue a firmware upgrade early in the system's life to completely negate it.

Wasn't the "Always Online" Rumor thrown in the thrash last week? If I recall correctly IGN reported that it's not true and It will not be required to be always online.

Not sure if my memory is trolling me or what, Anyone with any information in this?

I think this is an idea that would help, it makes sense. The fact of the matter is, think how insanely complicated everything is already, that'd be another whole set of rules to remember. I'm mostly annoyed at how complicated they're making everything. I feel like I'm listening to Qui-Gon Jinn make bets with Watto every time I hear someone talk about the list of what you can and can't do with your games, at home with internet, without internet, at a friend's house, with your family members, if you gave the game away, so on and so forth. What's way easier remember: if you can put the disc in, you can play it.

Wasn't the "Always Online" Rumor thrown in the thrash last week? If I recall correctly IGN reported that it's not true and It will not be required to be always online.

Not sure if my memory is trolling me or what, Anyone with any information in this?

Well, it's not always online, but after 24 hours of the last connection, if you don't recheck it, you can't play games. It's less bad, but for these types of things, it's not really that great.

It's a good suggestion, but I really think they should remove it. I see no benefits to us from this online policy. Either get rid of it, or so something about it. This policy was changer for me. I no longer will be buying an Xbox because of this. They are making bad choices all around, and if they won't be doing something about it, then why should I buy it?

Well, it's not always online, but after 24 hours of the last connection, if you don't recheck it, you can't play games. It's less bad, but for these types of things, it's not really that great.

that is TERRIBLE.
I can see how this Vacation Idea comes into play then, But seriously this shouldnt be there at all.
Places like Where I live, Internet is scarce, I'm on a 25GB a Months plan, can't afford to keep updating and whatnot.

I don't get why this "vacation mode" couldn't the mode it's always in, unless you want to 'check for updates'. If I go buy a game, link it to my account, what really good does it do to check in? If I decide to give it to a friend, that's an online transaction then it would know to no longer give me access to that game. I'm really trying to understand what the checking in accomplishes. I don't get it.

Back