Xbox 360 GTA IV Was Missing That Certain Something Gameplay-wise

Outrun

There was something absent from GTA IV that prevented it from being totally charming to be initially. It's recently become fairly charming to me based on being a GTA game, but I still feel something is...missing from the game. Any idea as to what that is?

For me, it was missing a purpose to actually spend all this money you accumulated in the game. You'd complete missions, get paid, and you could buy more weapons, but what was the point if the weapons dropped by enemies would suffice? In San Andreas, Vice City, and Vice City Stories there was a bit to spend money on--although in VC it got to a point where you were constantly generating money from businesses with no threat of losing income, the same with San Andreas. VC Stories was the perfect balance as you could buy businesses like in Vice City, but you also had to defend your properties like in SA.

I found The Lost and Damned to be more enjoyable than the main story. On my complaints about what was lacking from GTA IV I've come to the conclusion that it was a different route to the American dream than in other GTA games. Claude was just...dropped into Liberty City after escaping. Tommy was in VC originally on business and just got...sucked in basically and rose to power. Victor kind of fell in with shadiness since he had nothing else going for him in VC, plus his troublesome brother appeared, etc.

Niko's American dream wasn't meant to be criminal. It was like CJ's. He just popped up to see family and see what was going on and in Niko's case, what opportunities were available--then BAM! Crooked people everywhere. Niko actually wanted a legit life and stuff, so his intent wasn't to accumulate money and have a big boss lifestyle, really. That's the conclusion I came to.

...because honestly, the money you racked up in GTA IV, by the middle of the game Niko could've said "F*** this, I have enough to be more than comfortable for years if I live modestly."

I found it a bit too gritty for my tastes. The previous GTA games have been pretty light hearted and arcade oriented but I think GTA IV tried to be a bit more serious. It also gave driving a major overhaul. The overall gameplay was pretty clunky as well, and that may have had something to do with it. The shooting felt really clunky and the game just felt slower paced and sort of monotone. That's my feelings anyway.

Rocketman nailed it for my view on it. It was less over the top and more serious. I'm guessing they were aiming for more realistic overall in the game, but it did come off as slower paced as well. As far as grittiness...I don't know, San Andreas was very gritty to me and along with Vice City really caught its period extremely well. Vice City did a pretty good job as far as music and look, some of the shanties in Little Haiti were oddly sized, but it had that 80s vibe.

I also barely listened to the talk radio in GTA IV.

Some very good answers. I found GTA IV to be much more serious and to have better pacing that the other games. Sure it was a bit slower, but it worked. I do miss the over the top nature of GTA with some of the personalities you'd run into in a character's adventures. To Swift's point, I was a bit bothered by how much money I had collected in a short period as well...and there was nothing to really spend it on!

Well yeah, what Rocketman said about the tone of GTA IV. That distinctly Rockstar vibe of the game world and characters was somewhat absent. Unless you count Brucie as the embodiment of the over the top characters in GTA.

In the core game Brucie was the over the top character, but I'd say that was about it. Everything else was a very serious story going on some of the missions weren't out there. They were somewhat within the realm of realism with the story overall.

I think the grit was just really dumb considering how silly the game could get at points and when important characters caught ill with the death I did not care at all. But when GTA V came along I had a lot more fun even during the missions and even more so not worrying about those stupid "Dates or Bowling" also you could do funny things in a funny and mostly colorful world.

Back