Xbox One Halo TV Project Revealed

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
halo%20show%20spielberg-580-75.jpg

Microsoft has confirmed it will produce original Xbox TV programming, starting with a project based on the Halo franchise. The project is being handled by legendary film director Steven Spielberg.

Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer confirmed to IGN that the project will not be exclusive to Xbox Live, though no additional information was provided.

The effort to create a Halo TV or film adaptation first began in 2006 with Halo Chronicles, a "completely new and original chapter" in the Halo series from Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson that never saw the light of day. Last year Microsoft released the live-action series Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn in preparation for the launch of Halo 4.

In late 2012, Microsoft hired former CBS executive Nancy Tellem and began plans for original Xbox TV content. Earlier this year, the company detailed Microsoft’s LA-based studio for “pioneering the future of TV.”

Source [IGN]

I find it very interesting how more and more 'non-channel' entities (if that makes sense) are throwing their hats into the ring producing shows. Netflix, Amazon, and now Xbox and there's probably more I'm forgetting. I think we are seeing the future of TV starting to happen, where different entities can make their own shows, and the old paradigm of a "channel" will be a thing of the past. I'm fascinated to see how this kind of thing will progress.

Also, what does "being handled by" mean exactly? Is Spielberg directing this show or what is his actual involvement?

I find it very interesting how more and more 'non-channel' entities (if that makes sense) are throwing their hats into the ring producing shows. Netflix, Amazon, and now Xbox and there's probably more I'm forgetting. I think we are seeing the future of TV starting to happen, where different entities can make their own shows, and the old paradigm of a "channel" will be a thing of the past. I'm fascinated to see how this kind of thing will progress.

Also, what does "being handled by" mean exactly? Is Spielberg directing this show or what is his actual involvement?

To me, it looks like the start of a next-gen YouTube/ Television that will showcase many new original shows that could be based more around games. A platform that gamer's use is a platform that movie makers want for movies based around games. I think that's why some big names are getting behind this.

Until i see the pilot episode of it, i will hold my comments.
Its Spielberg, i don't think they can go too wrong with something like this, right?

Until i see the pilot episode of it, i will hold my comments.
Its Spielberg, i don't think they can go too wrong with something like this, right?

You would think that a guy like Speilberg would be able to produce something awesome with Halo.

Dang, I can't wait for this to come out, I've waited so long for them to make a Halo movie or T.V show and now they are... It's going to be great I can just feel it.

I'm not a big fan of Spielberg lately to be completely honest. War of the Worlds was flat out horrible. I think that was the last movie I saw by him, I have 0 interest in watching Lincoln give speeches for 2 hours so I skipped that one. I'm hoping Spielberg is just the producer and not the director, which I imagine will be the case.

Do you think they'll show Master Chief's face??

I also wonder if it will get the special effects budget required to REALLY do Halo right...

The Youtube mini series for Halo 4 were incredible in my opinion and this will undoubtedly have a way, way, way bigger budget so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Yeah I really can't wait for this. I think it's going to be great and I can't believe Stephen Speilberg is going to be directing it! You know it's going to be insane. Ugh I can't wait!

I honestly do worry that this Halo TV series could actually ruin the games for me. I'm really hoping Steven Spielberg does a good job but looking at all
the games that have had movie adaptations it worries me that it will fall flat on it's face. Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, The Mario movie, I could name
more bad movies but it's hard to think of a good game to movie adaptation (maybe Tomb Raider at a push). I'll hold my comments though until I see more
about it and see the first episode, who knows it might actually be good.

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to this at all.

I'm going to watch it. No doubt. However, I'm actually really worried this will be a HUGE flop. I don't like getting my hopes up for stuff like this because it nearly always falls flat.

I'll be watching, holding my pitchfork.

Haha, the Mario Movie. You almost let me forget about that one...

I think this is the start of the 'future' as Viper's already put it. Although this sort of thing has been going on for years, with adaptations of Final Fantasty, Resident Evil etc it's the medium in which these things are being delivered. So direct to online formatting where you can just purchase and watch these series.

Look at Arrested Development, for instance, on Netflix. The entire series was released at once for everyone to watch at leisure. I think this is more exciting as a testament to television, than a Halo development, because when it boils down to it we won't know if it's a flop or not until it actually gets released.

I wonder if this show will chronicle John 117 or if it will essentially be a TV show based in the Halo universe. Personally I feel John's story has been told and it would be good to explore another part of the universe. I trust that Spielberg will not let this be a hokey fanboy fest of putting the most exciting moments of the game to cellulite. An original story based in this universe would be way more engaging.

I'm not a big fan of Spielberg lately to be completely honest. War of the Worlds was flat out horrible. I think that was the last movie I saw by him, I have 0 interest in watching Lincoln give speeches for 2 hours so I skipped that one. I'm hoping Spielberg is just the producer and not the director, which I imagine will be the case.

Do you think they'll show Master Chief's face??

I also wonder if it will get the special effects budget required to REALLY do Halo right...

When I think of Spielberg and Halo, I think of Saving Private Ryan. So I have no doubt that this guy can make an awesome Halo show/movie.

Back